The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about mike sale  (Read 27408 times)
K6RQR

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:23:33 PM »

Hello All -
 I am seeking advice about a possible sale of a microphone. I received an email from a man who said that he wanted to buy my mike and that he would send along a cashier's check for the total of $45. I have waited several days and no check and then today I get an email saying that he has been traveling and that his secretary made a small mistake and sent me a check for $850! He wants me to deposit the check in my bank and wait for it to clear and then send him back the mike and the amount he overpaid. Smells like a scam to me and I am wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and, also, what is this possible scammer's method ? How does he get his money back for the  mike as well as the outrageous over payment that is being requested of me.
WT5MW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »

Hello All -
 I am seeking advice about a possible sale of a microphone. I received an email from a man who said that he wanted to buy my mike and that he would send along a cashier's check for the total of $45. I have waited several days and no check and then today I get an email saying that he has been traveling and that his secretary made a small mistake and sent me a check for $850! He wants me to deposit the check in my bank and wait for it to clear and then send him back the mike and the amount he overpaid. Smells like a scam to me and I am wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and, also, what is this possible scammer's method ? How does he get his money back for the  mike as well as the outrageous over payment that is being requested of me.

Send his check back to him and have him send the cashiers' check in the correct amount.  Anything else likely a scam.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:03:53 AM »

Yep, that scam has been around for a long time in 1 form or another. You send "your" money to him, and his check is then rejected. The check he sends will not clear cause it is either a fraudulent account, or no funds are in it, and you can't do a thing because it will be drawn on a bank outside the USA.  Your left with no way to recover your money.

If it were truly just a mistake, he would be able to cancel the check and send the correct amount. The Better Business Bureau used to have a great article on their web site some years back that explained it in detail.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:08:55 AM »

Some of those Craigslist scams are almost automated to kick in at some dollar amount. The last one I got was an offer and instructions to ship UPS after payment. It was a 2500 pound harrow.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:37:40 AM »

Send his check back to him and have him send the cashiers' check in the correct amount.  Anything else likely a scam.

That is undoubtedly the way to go.  If he refuses, it is most likely a scam.  Send him back the wrong check and insist that he mails you a cashiers check for the correct amount--then deposit it and wait a few days for it to clear before sending the mike to him.  Be truthful too.  Tell him you're wary because you think his 'mistake' may be a scam.  If he's on the up and up, he'll understand.  Or better yet, just send the check back to him, tell him you're refusing the sale, and wait for another buyer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:40:09 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:43:20 AM »

Hello All -
 Thanks for the helpful replies. Well, the scam is confirmed in that he now wants me to send the "refund" to Western Union. Also, thanks for the detail about how his check is fraudulent and will be rejected. I have already gone ahead and sold the mike to a real buyer who sent me real money via PayPal. I mean, you can't even sell a microphone these days without a large attempted ripoff by some shameless ass. Caveat emptor, indeed.

Bruce  K6RQR
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »

could be worse.  you could be out a 2600 pound harrow.
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

The check he sends will not clear cause it is either a fraudulent account, or no funds are in it, and you can't do a thing because it will be drawn on a bank outside the USA.

Actually the check probably WILL clear (recall, he actually told RQR to wait 'til it clears), has has sufficient funds, and is drawn against a US account; here is this issue:

Even though the check will clear, it is a fraudulent check. It may be a few weeks, a couple months or even a year; but eventually a reconcile/audit of the account will occur and a realization will be made that they never issued the check...or a duplicate check number hits the clearance system...

and in the paper trail, he'll be the only person around holding the bag.  Cry

He'll be criminally responsible for $850 and out of a microphone.

Smells like a scam to me and I am wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and, also, what is this possible scammer's method ? How does he get his money back for the  mike as well as the outrageous over payment that is being requested of me.

I do have experience with this, and I now help people with avoiding e-scams. The quick and easy answer is, he never spent any money, he simply printed a fraudulent check, or had a victim send it to you. He gets the money because he planned to scam you into sending it. In my experience, I was selling a car on the web, the person sent me a check for over $1400 more (approx $4400 check), I took the check to the bank it was drawn against, and "cashed" it for a Cashier's Check. But it was mailed from Nigeria and the check was from Georgia Power, Inc. (A SERIOUS RED FLAG) and the watermark emblems were upside down...the whole time, he never arraigned for the car to be picked up. I actually called the CEO's office and faxed a copy of the check to them and the Secret Service; I was assured that they never wrote the check and the Secret Service simply told me to go back to all the institutions, explain it was a scam and get the original (fraudulent) instrument back.

Here's what to know and what to do:

You will soon get emails about the money, first telling you it's ok, simply send him the difference, next threatening you with police or legal action, then downright saying you stole the whole $850, IGNORE THE EMAILS, these are all con tricks to get the money wired before you figure anything out. You can contact your local unit of the Postal Inspection Service (if sent by mail) and the Secret Service. Let them know what happened, if they are not nearby, they may have someone deputized on your local police/sheriffs department to handle things like this.

As soon as you inform the scammer you called the police and you know it's a scam, the emails will disappear.
You may also want to inform the bank that the check is drawn against.

Is the check issued in the name of the person you're supposedly dealing with?
Did you receive the check from overseas?
Does the check appear to be printed on plain paper?
Are there security features in the check...are they missing?
Were you given a telephone number?
By any chance can you list the routing number?

Do not put the name of the person on the check (unless that's who you understand yourself to be dealing with) or the account number in your response. The reason is, sometimes the middle person is an unwilling victim, or is an identity that the scammer stole.

KB3VWG
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »

Thanks VWG. Looks like they are getting sneakier then when I last had to deal with it. Fortunately when I saw Bank of Liberia, I knew it was a scam. Didn't loose anything, but learned a lot about the process they were using at the time.

Now I know even more. Thanks for the post!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

Hello All -
 I did receive the fraudulent check for $850. It is from the Sun Trust Bank and I intend to keep it as a souvenir.

Bruce  K6RQR
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »

Hello All -
 I did receive the fraudulent check for $850. It is from the Sun Trust Bank and I intend to keep it as a souvenir.

Best that you didn't.  Either send it back or destroy it.  If a complaint is made and you're found still in possession of the check, you may be accused of theft--even if you never intended to try to cash it.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »

Just write VOID in big red letters across the check.  Then no claims of future intent to cash it are possible. 
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I could void it or destroy it but I can't send it back as the check arrived with no return address.

Bruce
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 04:52:02 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I could void it or destroy it but I can't send it back as the check arrived with no return address.

Really!  That in itself is a big red light--especially if it's a check from a business.  Almost every check (except some payroll checks) have some sort of identification and address on them.  These days it's almost a requirement of whichever financial institution/printing company is involved.

And yes, printing 'VOID' across the face of the check would seem to indicate that you had no intention of cashing it, but you still may face some questioning about why you kept it.  The answer "as a souvenir" may not be taken as an a valid reason by some law enforcement people.  Just my two cents worth.  73!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 06:08:18 AM »

Bruce:

Give Sun  Trust a call and let them know what's up.  They'll appreciate the alert.

N9LCD
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: