The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna selection when using a tuner  (Read 6285 times)
AC9FM

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »

I bought an Alinco DX-SR8T with the EDX2 antenna tuner with the plan to use it when camping and I am please with it for that use. Now I have decided to use it mobile when I'm not camping and would like to use the radio and tuner without adding too much in the antenna. I have tried using a 102" CB whip and the tuner is fine with it but I am reading that it is not a very efficient system. Would there be a marked improvement if I were add a coil mid-antenna and a cap hat? I primarily use 40M but don't want to limit my antenna to that. Certainly not an optimum set-up but it is what I have to work with.

Thanks
Ernie
AC9FM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »

You can read what I say about the combination on my web site, under http://www.k0bg.com/couplers.html.

The one thing you have to be careful of is the high RF voltage which can exceed 10 kV. Thus a simple ballmount of other standard whip mount can't stand up to the electromotive force. Both GeoTool and Breedlove make special insulators for the purpose.

You can, under certain circumstances, use a loaded antenna, but it requires a special type of construction. You can't use a hamstick on a band it wasn't cut for. That is explained in the article too.

AC9FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »

Alan,
Thanks for the tips and your web-site is a wealth of info. The end of the page you included a link for is just what I was looking for, I think. I already made a custom mount for my truck and I am using a 4" long piece of 1" diameter Delrin to insure the voltage standoff is sufficient. That is what the whip is attached to and could be easily modified to mount an aluminum tube with a cap hat. If I can accomplish in 5 ft what the 102"whip is doing now, that in itself would be well worth the effort.

At least that is what I think read  Embarrassed

Ernie
AC9FM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »

Just remember, that electrical length matters! As the section states, radiation resistance,—hence efficiency—is a function of the electrical length, and how the current flow through that length. That's why I like cap hats!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: