The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anatomy of attempted internet scam  (Read 13580 times)
AA9G

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »

This is very educational, conducted by Fred, AA7BQ
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?447305-Anatomy-of-an-Internet-Scam-at-QRZ

Ex KC9EEV.
K8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »

Was just fixing to post that here... someone beat me to it.  Grin
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »

If anyone knows how to reach him, you should ask him to remove the account number and name from his post. The thread is such a hot topic that my posts have not created much of a stir; and AA7BQ has his inbox turned off.

I called the bank to report it.

It's possible the account holder is a victim of some sort of scam or identity theft. Plus, posting account information makes the account more vulnerable to further criminal activity.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »

If anyone knows how to reach him, you should ask him to remove the account number and name from his post. The thread is such a hot topic that my posts have not created much of a stir; and AA7BQ has his inbox turned off.

I called the bank to report it.

It's possible the account holder is a victim of some sort of scam or identity theft. Plus, posting account information makes the account more vulnerable to further criminal activity.

While it's possible the account holder is a victim, it's not likely.  More likely is someone set up an account in the name and has never gone back to the bank since, doing all business on line, including transferring the money.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »

That name and associated accounts have previously been used by scammers and posted on QRZ and eHam, going back to 2013. 
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »

I've posted in other threads about other scams, such as the employment scam - which can result in a bank account for the scammer's future use, as well as a middle-man to handle all the legwork. Not to mention, the scammer can steal the identity of the person by convincing them to fill out W-4's and I-9's.

The point in any case is that this could be the name of an identity theft victim, an employment scam victim, etc. Posting the information simply risks the person suffering further victimization.

And regardless, he's still posting an account name and number that does not belong to him, that makes him possibly liable for such negligence. Simply omitting the account number could solve things.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:57:53 PM by KB3VWG » Logged
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »

This is very educational, conducted by Fred, AA7BQ

I found it interesting that the scammer's English really deteriorated as the correspondence continued.

Whenever you see "kindly", it's a flag.  Maybe not always, but it's just not part of typical American English vernacular.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: