The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club presentation  (Read 13057 times)
N1DVJ

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:29:45 AM »

Just wondered how many clubs take pains to protect their image or presentation? 

ANY club, not just ham radio, can be hit with the issue of someone being an image for the club that turns out to be a nightmare. 

Do any clubs have protections?  Plans?  Policies? 
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »

Your question sound like you have something or someone very specific in mind.
However, generally,the club purpose and code of conduct is usually laid out in the by-laws of the club.
If there is something going on that violates these rules and/or guidelines, you should bring it to the club officers.
If that isn't possible or effective, perhaps you may have to poll others to garner enough support to bring it up at a meeting.

That's the theory, at least. Many clubs just ramble on with little regard for by-laws or the general membership. It's not unusual, because most clubs are run by a small but ever-present cadre minority who are willing to do the work where others may or may not even show up. After a while they feel that since they do all the work, they also have the right to set the agenda.

You have three choices if this does not suit you.
1) Get more involved in the leadership by getting elected to some post
2) Go with the flow and show up when and if you feel like it. ( most popular member option!)
3) quit

N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »

I'm thinking more along the lines of an individual with a felony conviction becoming the spokesperson for a club.  What would happen, for example, if a club had a youth group visiting for field day with reporters present, and one of the youth group parents recognized one of the club leaders as a registered sex offender?  In front of the media?  It would be a field day...

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »

I'm thinking more along the lines of an individual with a felony conviction becoming the spokesperson for a club.  What would happen, for example, if a club had a youth group visiting for field day with reporters present, and one of the youth group parents recognized one of the club leaders as a registered sex offender?  In front of the media?  It would be a field day...

Is that what's going on? You guys made him a leader, so you reap what you sow! I guess presentations to women or children's groups would be out of the question. In fact, it would be a parole violation for him, wouldn't it?

N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »

No, it didn't happen.  And it's not current, it happened a bit ago.  Basically the individual joined the club, then ran for club office.  (Didn't make it)  I'm not a club member, but I'm associated and I'll leave it at that, but I discovered the situation due to other things going on and realized what was happening.  No one at the club knew the situation, and I didn't want to blow the whistle.  I checked discretely, and discovered that there were no restrictions on his activity when he was released from prison.  He got his ham license after release from prison.  And yes, he is a registered level 3 sex offender.

What is ironic is here in Mass, if I start spreading the news, so to speak, I could conceivably be charged with a crime if I give any details to identify the individual.

Generically, I feel that this is an issue that clubs need to consider.  Anyone a club elects or appoints to a position representing the club should be 'vetted' somehow.  Make candidates submit a CORI form?  Who knows.  Maybe just do a 'google' search of any possibilities, or at least have them sign a declaration of suitability.
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »

What's really interesting is that there's recently a case talked about on a site that's better off not named on here where a registered sexual offender showed up and wanted to be a VE...

And I've seen a registered level III offender run for an officer position at a club.  A club that at one time used to sponsor a scout troop.

I'm just saying, what would happen if someone with a past that is newsworthy in a bad way gets into a position of being the 'front' for your club...  Nothing good, I'm sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: