The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leave Windows for Linux?  (Read 41630 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »

I was just reading the latest market up date and Windoze (in all flavors) has over 91% of market. Mac has a little over 6% and Linux less than 2% of consumer market. Love or hate windows it still is the wise choice for support/software. BTW, Win 8.x has seen its market share increase about 13% in last quarter and XP is shrinking. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:40 AM »

I was just reading the latest market up date and Windoze (in all flavors) has over 91% of market. Mac has a little over 6% and Linux less than 2% of consumer market. Love or hate windows it still is the wise choice for support/software. BTW, Win 8.x has seen its market share increase about 13% in last quarter and XP is shrinking. 
It is not the "wise choice" for me. Libre Office takes care of my "office" needs. My ham software runs under Opensuse. Graphics viewing and editing, audio/video playing/editing, various net software all under Opensuse. IF I need Windows for someone, I can fire up a VM, but that is rare.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »

It is not the "wise choice" for me. Libre Office takes care of my "office" needs. My ham software runs under Opensuse. Graphics viewing and editing, audio/video playing/editing, various net software all under Opensuse. IF I need Windows for someone, I can fire up a VM, but that is rare.

I do not doubt some can get by with Linux but it is far from main stream in support. It is a niche OS for desktop at best at this time.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »

I do not doubt some can get by with Linux but it is far from main stream in support. It is a niche OS for desktop at best at this time.

A lot of people can "get by" with a GNU/Linux distro. It is a niche desktop OS simply because more people don't use it.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:53:22 AM »

A lot of people can "get by" with a GNU/Linux distro. It is a niche desktop OS simply because more people don't use it.

Less than 2% is not a "lot" and they do not use it because it lack universal support in drivers, software, GUI to name a few.  If it works for you, great but to suggest that it could work for everyone is a foolish and misleading statement.

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »

But as you are quick to point out, "The desktop is dying".  In just about every other deployment such as servers, embedded systems, super computers, tablets and phones, Linux is a leader.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »

Is "consumer market" defined in a similar way that every other vehicle on the market has some so of "Best in its class award" ?

How is the consumer market relevant to any Ham radio activity?
How is your post relevant to any ham radio activity?

No matter how many pro windows messages you post, Nadella is still not inviting you to the Microsoft christmas party.

Can't wait on your opinions on toilet paper and the ideal size of paper clips.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »

I was just reading the latest market up date ...

Wikipedia ...

... and Windoze (in all flavors) has over 91% of market. Mac has a little over 6% and Linux less than 2% of consumer market. Love or hate windows it still is the wise choice for support/software. BTW, Win 8.x has seen its market share increase about 13% in last quarter and XP is shrinking.  

About half of that Windows share is still Windows 7 and most of the rest is XP.

An increase of 13% on a small number is still a small number.  Wake me if Windows 8x ever gets above 50%.  

What is more interesting is what you did NOT post - the shares of the mobile device market.  Since "the desktop is dead" (which I somewhat agree with) and Microsoft supposedly, at least based on your rantings over the past six months, is going after the mobile market, then isn't it strange why Windows still only has around 2% of that mobile device market, while iOS and Android dominate at about 45% each.  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:05:02 AM by NN4RH » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »

Is "consumer market" defined in a similar way that every other vehicle on the market has some so of "Best in its class award" ?

How is the consumer market relevant to any Ham radio activity?
How is your post relevant to any ham radio activity?

No matter how many pro windows messages you post, Nadella is still not inviting you to the Microsoft christmas party.

Can't wait on your opinions on toilet paper and the ideal size of paper clips.

Some how you confuse comments on the reality of software support with pro windows tree thumping. If you use a laptop (or a dying desktop) 91% is windows today period. If you want to ride the horse that has less than 2% knock yourself out because it does not matter than Linux is used on servers or as a base for Andriod as this has no effect on desktop software availability.  Somehow the koolaid your on makes you think otherwise.

I used to use OS2 in 90's and early 2000's and it was a solid OS but left it because there was no mainstream support. I skipped Win 9x and used NT4 then WIN 2000 and then to 64 bit Vista on main machines.  OS2 is still used in banking industry and Walmart used it for inventory control in past (not sure about now) but it is dead on desktop except for some die hards.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »

What is more interesting is what you did NOT post - the shares of the mobile device market.  Since "the desktop is dead" (which I somewhat agree with) and Microsoft supposedly, at least based on your rantings over the past six months, is going after the mobile market, then isn't it strange why Windows still only has around 2% of that mobile device market, while iOS and Android dominate at about 45% each.  

It is because the article I was mentioning dealt only with desktop segment.  When I get latest on mobile I will comment too separately.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:44 AM »

Windows XP is not shrinking that much, they are saying it could take two years to shrink to nothing. Not my words, but theirs.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/01/windows-xps-market-share-fell-by-less-than-1-in-august/

"Microsoft concluded support for Windows XP in April. Despite that fact, a large chunk of the global PC market still runs the operating system. And with more than 20 percent share, Windows XP’s piece of the global PC pie isn’t declining very quickly.According to Net Applications, Windows XP’s global desktop market share fell from 24.82 percent in July, to 23.89 percent in August. That’s just under one percentage point in a full month. At that pace, it will take more than two years for Windows XP’s market share to fully dissipate."

Anyway the topic was "Leave Windows for Linux"?  In fact in the current QST, there is an article on just that very subject!

The only thing I would suggest in respect to the article, is to install Linux on a separate hard drive instead of doing a dual boot. And the reason for that is, if you want to try out the various Linux Operating systems. It might be easier just to swap out the HD or to wipe the HD than having to deal with Grub or Lilo.

If people are undecided which Linux Operating system to go with. Check out Distrowatch. They list the Top 100 Linux distros (distributions) at that site. http://distrowatch.com/

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:53:59 AM »

Windows XP is not shrinking that much, they are saying it could take two years to shrink to nothing. Not my words, but theirs.

Well It has shrunk over 30% in last year and will shrink a lot more in next year. It declines daily and anyone that depends on it for a OS that connect to Internet is very foolish.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »

What type of support are you talking about?

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »

Less than 2% is not a "lot" and they do not use it because it lack universal support in drivers, software, GUI to name a few.  If it works for you, great but to suggest that it could work for everyone is a foolish and misleading statement.
Maybe you can show where I said " everyone".  Windows also lacks universal driver support as does MacOS.

Rick KK4GGL
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »

Are we sure Linux has only a mere 2% of the market share? I have just installed Android as a virtual machine and I had to install it as Linux 2.6.... maybe billions of people don't even know they are using Linux... btw my computer is much happier with Linux (Kubuntu or Ubuntu with Kde) no issue with devices... I can key CW, excellent well thought Logs, FLdigi, Gpredict, Quisk and other software for SDR... some good Windows programs run with Wine emulator. What else should I need? Surely, I don't need Svchost.exe anymore....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: