The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leave Windows for Linux?  (Read 41357 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »

Linux is the most used OS in the world.
It's in just about every smart electronic device, from Android based phones, to Kindles to even your Directv Receiver or your Panasonic TV, almost every device that has a CPU and does a complex task is using Linux.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »

Care to explain why using XP to connect to the Internet is "very foolish"?
Personally, I think Win8 will never surpass XP if Threshold is done right.
Your figures for XP are wrongly skewed to make it look worse than it really is.
If I remember right, last year XP was at 34% now its 23% that in reality is 11% of market share
As for Win8's share, how can it have a 13% increase in the last quarter? I reported that in June and July, Win8's share went DOWN and the latest figures (August) showed an increase but the total market share is still less than 14%.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:19:16 PM by G8YMW » Logged

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »

...If I remember right, last year XP was at 34% now its 23% that in reality is 11% of market share...

That large drop was because of the ending of support and the migration of a lot of business computing from Windows XP to another OS--mostly Windows 7.  Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 simply is NOT that popular--and that 13% increase?  A lot of that is sales of newer machines that have 8 or 8.1 installed as OEM, and a lot of those sales include Windows 7, simply because people still want Windows 7 instead of 8 or 8.1, and Windows 8/8.1 is being wiped off the hard drives of those machines.
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »

As I explained in another thread-- I took my old Dell laptop shack computer, running XP and installed LINUX LXLE on it. After a 2 hour learning curve, Iḿ doing everything I did before and Iḿ sure I could do a lot more once I really learn Linux.
The point is I took an old laptop, not upgradeable to Win7 or 8 and made it a decent shack computer. I am as dumb as can be with computer software, so if I could do it, anybody can.
Iḿ off the Microsoft money train and Iḿ a computer user, not a computer nerd. I find more support in LINUX then I ever found for Windows.
Lane--K9MOV
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »

As I explained in another thread-- I took my old Dell laptop shack computer, running XP and installed LINUX LXLE on it. After a 2 hour learning curve, Iḿ doing everything I did before and Iḿ sure I could do a lot more once I really learn Linux.
The point is I took an old laptop, not upgradeable to Win7 or 8 and made it a decent shack computer. I am as dumb as can be with computer software, so if I could do it, anybody can.
Iḿ off the Microsoft money train and Iḿ a computer user, not a computer nerd. I find more support in LINUX then I ever found for Windows.
Lane--K9MOV

You wont feel that way after several months have passed.
I tried Linux and liked it, but got very frustrated when I could not find a Linux version of software prgs that i needed.
After about the third time of using work around "equivalent" software I threw in the towel. BTW thats the same reason why I wont use a Mac.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »

I tried Linux and liked it, but got very frustrated when I could not find a Linux version of software prgs that i needed. ...

What software prgs did you need?

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »

Linux isn't for everyone, but it is for most everyone. Regarding Ham Radio apps or programs not working in Linux. The same could be said for Mac and Android, Chrome OS. And some Windows 7 and 8 operating systems may not be able to run some older ham radio program either.

And it really boils down to this. Why throw out, or stop using an otherwise perfectly usable computer or laptop because a software manufacturer orphaned their operating system and a new version can't run on it?

Install Linux on your XP computer on a separate hard drive and give Linux and the ham radio apps that run on that OS a try.

If those options do not work then there are programs like WINE and or Crossover Linux that may offer a solution  https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/  .

And that still doesn't work, then keep using your Windows XP computer off line and use it strictly for ham applications that run on Windows.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:09:20 PM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »

Linux isn't for everyone, but it is for most everyone. Regarding Ham Radio apps or programs not working in Linux. The same could be said for Mac and Android, Chrome OS. And some Windows 7 and 8 operating systems may not be able to run some older ham radio program either.

And it really boils down to this. Why throw out, or stop using an otherwise perfectly usable computer or laptop because a software manufacturer orphaned their operating system and a new version can't run on it?

Install Linux on your XP computer on a separate hard drive and give Linux and the ham radio apps that run on that OS a try.

If those options do not work then there are programs like WINE and or Crossover Linux that may offer a solution  https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/  .

And that still doesn't work, then keep using your Windows XP computer off line and use it strictly for ham applications that run on Windows.

+1

KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 06:12:41 AM »

I work in the telecommunications field, and deal with the OS fanboys all of the time.  Personally, I really don't care what someone likes, prefers, etc.  Use what you LIKE!

As far as my OPINION of an OS, and what an OS should be (and I use ALL 3 of the major types), I think Linux is lousy.  Want to uninstall software or a driver...or change a setting?  In Windows, it's fairly simple.  In Linux, do it incorrectly, and you'll be using ANOTHER PC to beg for help in a forum. 

Windows (not WINDOZE or Window$ as the Microsoft haters enjoy writing) in ANY vintage is still a better choice for the x86 than Linux...if only for the amounts of GOOD software and hardware available.  I still use WinME to run my APRS station at home!

But that's my opinion.  I'm sure some will disagree...but that's what discussion and debate are about.

John KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »

I tried Linux and liked it, but got very frustrated when I could not find a Linux version of software prgs that i needed. ...

What software prgs did you need?

Honestly I dont even remember, it was about 5 years ago.
I know Linux is one heck of an OS, I use to run a gaming server on it about 18 years ago.
We had a group of about 5 of us that loved to play the original versions of Quake, Descent and Duke Nukem Grin.  I setup the server in a closet in one of the offices at work, it was made up from parts we all donated to the project. It had 5 modems and 5 phone lines hooked up to it (we played late at night form home after the office closed so we had no problem with the phone lines).  One of the gamers worked as a Linux programmer for an early IT company so he did all the software etc. I remember he set it so that it only answered the phone after about 6 rings. It was tedious work, no real GUI, just a lot of command line stuff and it took him about a week to get it right.  

I remember that after about 2 years we abandoned using it and the server sat in the closet for another 3 years untouched.

One day I went in there and noticed the server was still on so I plugged in a monitor and the OS software was still running. Shocked  The part that amazed me was that the hard drive was completely dead! Who knows when it died, it was plugged into a UPS and the building had auto backup generators so that explained part of it, but I still could not figure out how the OS kept on going with a dead hard drive.  When I plugged it out that was of course the end of the PC but another surprise was opening it up and seeing a dust wad that covered everything Shocked  Every Fan was dead but it kept on going.  Truly an amazing OS for reliability.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:06:18 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

AE5HL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

Use both....  I have Debian installed on a desktop machine (without a monitor) and I run X applications (like FLDigi) on my Windows 7 machine over SSH.  Easy to setup, gives me the advantages of both...
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

It's in just about every smart electronic device, from Android based phones, to Kindles to even your Directv Receiver or your Panasonic TV, almost every device that has a CPU and does a complex task is using Linux.

Amen brother!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 05:59:44 AM »

Amen brother!

You miss the point. Linux is still the least used OS on desktop and laptop and for a reason too. It lacks support and a common GUI.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »

Amen brother!

You miss the point. Linux is still the least used OS on desktop and laptop and for a reason too. It lacks support and a common GUI.

Gnu/Linux is the least used desktop system on the desktop because of the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly.

Define your use of support as used in your statement "It lacks support".

GNU/Linux distros are not burdened by a mandatory GUI. Users can use the default GUI of the installed distro, or a choice of their own. In my case, I have chosen XFCE over KDE, which is the default of Opensuse. This is a strength.

MacOS has a "standard GUI" yet Microsoft Windows (all versions included) maintains 90%+ desktop use.

And even Microsoft's "standard GUI" changes every few years.

Rick KK4GGL
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 06:54:17 AM »

True or not, somebody misses the point that a lot of Linux users just don't care, and love the fact that they have a choice of GUIs!.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: