The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the very best of HF BA receivers  (Read 52063 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »

Once a BA is finished, it doesn't cost anything!  A girlfriend is like pouring money down a rat hole.   Wink

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 12:06:38 AM »

OTOH, the girlfriend may earn her keep with cooking, doing laundry, cleaning etc - things a boat anchor will never do.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 01:44:01 AM »

Al and Peter, mimicking the last of the unreconstructed OMs. Shocked

Even if their tongues are firmly anchored in their cheeks.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »

Peter, one thing (out of several I guess) that a BA has that a girlfriend doesn't have.  That's an ON/OFF switch!   Grin

mimicking the last of the unreconstructed OMs.

Martin, I have failed to understand this.  Sorry.  More info needed.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:07 AM »

You should check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy5gRxjxHtg

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:32 AM »

Martin,

I do nearly all the food shopping and nearly all the cooking - her ladyship asks 'why keep a dog and bark yourself?'. About 25% of the time, I also sort the laundry, load and unload the washing machine and put the stuff in the drier.....those weeks when the cleaner doesn't come for some reason, I clean the bathroom and push the vacuum cleaner around.

She looks after any IT problems......

So I am not totally unreconstructed!
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

So I am not totally unreconstructed!

That's why I said you were mimicking!
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »

Ah, that NC300 was a beauty. Never got top marks for performance, but neither did Gina Lollobrigida.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »

Well, no help from the group solving the question... Smiley

I own all of them, unfortunately all this stuff is heavy and fills a room of my house and my girl-friend is asking for a reduction of the radio gear to a couple of full working Lines instead of 30 more radios just showing up in the shelf.
At the moment i am considering the collins 390 (non A) with the tmc ssb converter or 51j4 coupled with johnson valiant for the first line and hammarlund 180a coupled with hammarlund hx-500 for the second. But i also like a lot the an/art-13 with bc-348.
And what about sx-115 coupled with ht-32... Also another cool combination.... Maybe changing girl friend is a better option?  Huh Smiley

It would be easier to find a new girlfriend than some of those radios.

Rick  WN2C

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »

Our friend has a dilema and I feel bad for him.  Listen, all your radios have very good resell values.  It must be torture for you to choose which one or two to keep.  I'm sure you will feel bad if you keep two and sell the rest.  You will lament the loss of the ones you sell.  Therefore, the only way to solve this in my opinion (As long as your relationship is important to you) is to sell all the inanimate radios...end of story....sell them all and don't look back.  Take the money and buy some great modern smaller radio and be done with it.  I'm sure there are a bunch of guys on this thread that can help you liquidate them.  From what we've read here, there is no one right answer for you to make a decision.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »

Guess I'm the lucky guy. Getting rid of the radios would almost certainly mean the XYL would go - of her own accord - too!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »

I am wondernig which of the following receivers is more rappresentative of BA spirit and have the best all-round performance both for ham reception and BC reception:

I cant add more to that than what has already been said BUT girl friends are easily replaceable.

My comments on those choices below based upon what I own, had, work on:

RCA AR-88 almost unknown in the US, most went to EU and some in Canada, worked on a few, quickly sold the one I owned around 85

HAMMARLUND SUPERPRO (200-400).  Poor RF performance and the 200 series never stop drifting as built

HAMMARLUND SP-600  Had one, rebuilt and dumped, too drifty for a supposedly high end radio

COLLINS 51J4  Own, use and love.

COLLINS R390/390A  Ditto for a 390A I use sometimes, a PITA to tune

HALLICRAFTERS SX-28 I have two but the fantastic looks stop under the hood. It really takes to a few simple mods however. Mated with prewar and post war HT-9's

HAMMARLUND HQ-180  Have one with the optional Noise Silencer. One of my daily listeners

NATIONAL NC-303  Have a NC-300 and with minimal work. its a great AM and even a rock solid SSB/CW radio. Often used with a Ranger and DTR-2000L linear

HALLICRAFTERS SX-117  Have a mint one but havent even turned it on

HALLICRAFTERS SX-101 I have a 101A and its OK but rarely used

BC-348  YUK! Its better than a S-38 but not by much. It was a huge improvement to cash strapped EU hams over the usual house radio. In the US there was a lot better on the used market for about the same cost.

My own BA's besides the above:

SX-73 plus a R-274D, blows circles around a SP-600 and easy to work on. The R-274D was never installed
R-388 Just a nice sounding band cruiser with simple mods.
SX-115 mated to a HT-32B and NCL-2000 and used often
75A4 mated to a CE-100V and another NCL-2000. Had all since the early to mid 60's.
75A2 and 75A3, the latter mated to a 32V2
HRO-60 usually used with a Viking II CDC or Valiant
HRO 50-1 and 50
BC-779 and 1004 far from stock and work/sound nice. No more drift.
SP-100 near mint one owner, it will likely remain a shelf queen
SP-400 bone stock except for some more TC, now reasonably stable even on SSB.
NC-200, NC-240CS, and 240D
NC-101X an interesting 160-10 hamband only radio from 1937
NC-183 and 183D
NC-173  Highly underrated and far better than the competition when new
SX-16, 17, 32, 42, 62A. Love my 17 and the 62A is my hi-fi set
HQ-129X and a Viking I mostly on 160.
HQ-140X, 150X, 160
RA-17  A PITA to refurb and less than stellar performance for the initial cost.
National NBS-1 A NC-183 with a 3rd IF and selectable IF selectivity; great for any band night or day; used with a January 1954 813 cover rig.
Second run March 1935 HRO  Building an era correct 500W rig
SX-42 Not a favorite but currently slaved to a NCX-1000 in an upstairs computer/game/music room when on AM...much better audio
HRO-500 A 42 pound SS BA, I have two plus a LF-10
RCA RBB and RBC  The ultimate USN radios: stable, selective, overload and bullet proof
RCA RAK-7 and RAL-7  The best regen radios ever built, 1934 design and in service into the 60's as backups on supply and other non capital ships
Several lesser models that are shelf queens.
Plus a Kenwood TS-950SD and LK-500ZC amp. I mention it as it is easily modified into a superb AM rig without giving up any of its CW/SSB/Digital capabilities.

Carl
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 06:44:05 AM »

If your definition of "Boat Anchor" is limited to something whose active device complement is partly or wholly tube, perform the following:

Step 1 - Sell off your current BA inventory
Step 2 - Profit!
Step 3 - Find yourself a nice Drake R-4B or R-4C
Step 4 - Install in station and enjoy

I own a few solid-state receivers which would definitely qualify as boat anchors due to their size and weight, but the tube guys often pass them by.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »

KM1H ... Carl, what an impressive lineup of great radios.  What do you think of the WWII US Navy 2-20 Mc RBS CCT-46217-A made by Stromberg-Carlson?  I have one with the cable but no power supply.  Clean as a whistle I received it as a gift from the widow of an SK whose shack I cleaned up in preparation to sell her husband's radio equipment.  This is a clean radio but I lack the technical prowess to build a power supply for it.  Is it worth the effort to make it live again?
IW5CI

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 07:40:05 AM »

I recently added a Collins 51J4 and 51S1 to my collection.
About the first i must admit that is one of the best looking ba:

http://boatanchors.tumblr.com/image/110808760301

The unit is Mint and it works really good. I0MZR has realigned it to original spec and except for the PTO linearity of 6khz out from start to end of the scale (better not to open the pto for realignment). The receiver works very well.
Of course the audio stage in not as good as a Superpro, but stability and selectivity is perfect.

But the real surprise is the Collins 51s1:

http://boatanchors.tumblr.com/image/110756148411

I had read that the receiver hasn't' a good dinamic range and the lack of variable selectivity in SSB and noise blanker / limiter
was a limit in the performance... but with a good speaker this receiver is a poor joy , just tune your ssn signal and the decrease the rf-gain until something special happens.... the noise disappears and remain only the ssb station crisp and clean.
I felt in love with the 51s1 and in this case the linearity of the pto in excellent , less than 1 khz from start to end of the scale.
Unfortunalely this is not a real BA... just to small.. it's in the semi-ba category.
In the semi BA category i have all the family of the Drakes (2B 2C TR4 C and B line) that perform really well if not better.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: