The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron AL-800 or Acom 1000?  (Read 55959 times)
KX2T

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »

I have been looking to purchase one of these amp's like the Ameritron AL-800 (3CX800A7 tube) or the Acom 1000 (Svetlana 4CX800 tube). The AL-800 is built here in the US and most of the parts can be had from local suppliers and comes with an Eimac tube ratted at 800W plate dissipation, they claim 1200W PEP or 800W CW output and the PS is the same as they use for two tubes so I feel its more than up for the job for a single tube. The Acom 1000 is built in Bulgaria, getting parts might be more of a problem since most of that amp uses parts from eastern block countries, the tube cost less to replace but there from NOS supplies, it does have a full Pi L tank and does match into 3:1 load were the AL-800 2:1, has vacuum relay switching which is nice, 2 year warranty, blow system does not make as much noise and has the TRI tune up system which makes band changes faster. There is a price difference of $300 between these two amps were the Acom cost a little more and it does have six meters which is a small price to pay for an extra band (magic band, LOL)
What I would like to know form owners and users of these amp's is what you like or dis like about these amp's, please I would really like to know from hams who have used these amps.
Thanks
Jim
KE2TR
NM6V

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »

With the 3CX800A7 you need to monitor the Grid Current, this is very important for the life of the tube.  I quickly looked at the AL-800
and did not see anything that monitors grid current, but i might have missed it.  The 3CX800A7 is a great tube and can last you a life
time but if you exceed its grid current limitations, poof is gone!

I would go with the ACOM, I have been looking for a backup amp and decided on the ACOM 1500,  I currently run an ALPHA 86 and am the
original owner.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »

The AL-800 has a grid over current trip system that will trip much faster than watching the grid meter, they have that in both the AL-800/800H and the AL-1500. As far as buying new tubes, RF parts sells import 3cx800a7's under there Taylor brand for $430 and for not much more tested with low op hours 3cpx800a7 Eimac pulls were as the Acom's 4CX800 you have to buy from Acom dealers but there about $350 a tube now but once there NOS is gone there prices might be as much as Eimac.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »

I have been looking to purchase one of these amp's like the Ameritron AL-800 (3CX800A7 tube) or the Acom 1000 (Svetlana 4CX800 tube). The AL-800 is built here in the US and most of the parts can be had from local suppliers and comes with an Eimac tube ratted at 800W plate dissipation, they claim 1200W PEP or 800W CW output and the PS is the same as they use for two tubes so I feel its more than up for the job for a single tube. The Acom 1000 is built in Bulgaria, getting parts might be more of a problem since most of that amp uses parts from eastern block countries, the tube cost less to replace but there from NOS supplies, it does have a full Pi L tank and does match into 3:1 load were the AL-800 2:1, has vacuum relay switching which is nice, 2 year warranty, blow system does not make as much noise and has the TRI tune up system which makes band changes faster. There is a price difference of $300 between these two amps were the Acom cost a little more and it does have six meters which is a small price to pay for an extra band (magic band, LOL)
What I would like to know form owners and users of these amp's is what you like or dis like about these amp's, please I would really like to know from hams who have used these amps.
Thanks
Jim
KE2TR

Be advised that the AL800 has attenuator in input circuit that increases drive requirements (65 to 75 watts for rated output) to make it less CB friendly and protect tube too. If you remove it you can reduce drive requires considerably. You can also purchase it with a import tube(s) for less.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »

This is like a comparison between a Chevy Tahoe and a Porsch Cayenne.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »

The two amps have there merits like the two truck/suv's as well but this post is about amp's not trucks but if you must know I take my Xtera Off Road model off road allot and neither of the two you mentioned could touch it. lol.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »

I have the Acom 1500 with the 4CX1000. I'm very pleased with it, although the protection on overdrive etc can be a pain in that showed up the initial spike on key down from my transceiver! But it protected the amplifier....
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »

You have never driven a Cayenne off road then.
NM6V

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »

I'll take the Cayenne.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

I left my brother in laws Cayenne in a mud slick up state NY and I had to go back and pull him out, LOL you gotta be kidding, that truck is fine on the street and will go faster but off road even the yuppy range rover dusts the thing and the range rover they build for real off roading will edge out my extera but not by much. You gotta know your trucks those are family suv's.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »

First off, all vehicles can get stuck in mud. If you haven’t gotten stuck you have not been off road.

A lot depends on how you accessorize the Cheyenne. If you buy a 550 HP turbo race version and need 178 MPH on the straights it will perform very poorly off road. You will have a blast getting there

On the other hand you buy the 414 HP S model and put full size real off road tires on it, It is a very capable vehicle. Mine has a compound low, adaptive suspension with 3 inches more ground clearance, traction lock rear end  and can do circles on a 30 degree incline. In the winter it will go places neither of my off road trucks can go. I maintain several repeater systems in the Colorado mountains.  If my Cayenne can’t make it we use a Snow Cat.

The problem with Land Rovers is they are mechanically the equivalent of Lucas electrical.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »

You have never driven a Cayenne off road then.

Nor would I. Been owning and driving 4x4's for 45 years. Long before they became little more than cars with 4wd and back when they were hard to find too. There are very few true off road factory 4x4's and the Cayenne is not one of them. Nor is Tahoe but it does offer a 2 speed transfer case (which Cayenne does not) which does take strain off transmission in sand and slow climbing.  Both lack clearance too.

Anyone that claims a Cayenne is a great off road rig its because they never really owned a real 4x4 and have nothing to compare it too. HP is rarely a asset off road. 40 years ago a friend had a old military truck that looked like a jeep on steroids that weighed over 3 tons with a 90hp flat head 6, 8 speeds, a front mounted engine driven winch and a top speed of only 45mph and weak brakes but off road it was unstoppable.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »

Thank you W8JX its not about the power its about how the truck is geared, my truck is about 4700 pounds, has excellent gearing up or down steep inclines, most cars will eat me alive at 70-80mph but this puppy for what it is will do har starts in mud/snow with the right tires and it has 10" of ground clearance and its not my first truck with 4X4 cause most of the so called 4X4's are not the real thing.
Please can we go back to the amp's cause bragging about 4X4's is like pissing in the wind until the rubber meets the trail and I have pulled many a new Jeep out of being stuck on the same trails my truck just plows threw, sometimes its not the truck its the drive just like ham radio, its not the station its the op.
Jim
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »

Accom amps are far better design and construction that any Ameritron.
The only advantage for Ameritron is that they are relatively cheap compared to Accom.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »

The only thing about Acom amps is were do you get parts to fix the amp, most of the parts in that amp comes from eastern block countries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: