The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron AL-800 or Acom 1000?  (Read 55955 times)
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »

Good choice, Jim. Hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Bob K7JQ
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »

Thanks Bob, I really like the cooling system, it reminds me of the way the old Alpha 78 was and I loved that amp cause it had bandpass tuning which is great if all your antennas are under 1.5 to one, almost like allot of the SS amps without tuners built in but like the Acom it was a quiet amp. The TRI tune circuit looks fast as far as band changes and once you have the numbers it  should be repeatable. I like also the amp is able to tune into a 3:1 SWR in which unless you go down to 16 ohms on the antenna it should handle it most semi hi swr's. The amp I bought used has a production date of 2011, real easy to decode the serial number after looking between YouTube video's and pics of the amps on the net. If we stay at this qth this will make me put up a pair of phased slopers for 75 and a two element loop array for 40ty, yes I like the low bands, always have.
Thanks
Jim
KE2TR
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »

The Acom 1000 will make be put up a six meter beam and have some fun when the bands do open.
Jim
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »

Have the Acom 1000 in line, works great and a clean cool KW, hardly know its on and soo easy to tune, maybe 5 seconds between band changes and the TRI feature works great with the 6db pad jumping in at times so you get the load right then the tune control. I do find that the 240 line hear at the house drops down to 230V at times and it still works fine just with a little less output but when its up to 240V it has the best efficiency and gain. I really don't need my antenna tuner much, maybe on 80 when I load up the 75m dipole at the low end of 80 but on my 40M loop it load on 10M with a 2.5:1 swr real well, nice not to have the antenna tuner in line much but I will keep it for my next project which will be a 160M antenna. The only thing I don't like is the 3 min warm up but otherwise this amp is as good as any Alpha and since they don't have a KW amp I feel its one of the finest KW amps in the market right now. And yes with 60-70W of drive a KW and around 80 its does around 1200 but the extra 200w is meaningless. Very happy camper.
Jim
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 02:17:21 AM »

I think that with all amplifiers, tube or solid state, it is worth getting spare final devices. Perhaps more important with solid state as the transistors seem to disappear from manufacture with frightening regularity and there are a lot of Far Eastern knock offs that perform anything like the type numbers attached to them.
PA3HGT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »

When you buy a Acom 1000,Jim,you will forget the other brand.
I had two of them (sold because upgrade to Acom 2000a) and they are one of my favourites.
It starts how an Ameritron and an Acom is built and when you see that, you will buy an Acom.
2nd : they're very silent : disadvantage : there's no TX-indication ;-) .
When you're curious : http://www.pa3hgt.nl/acom.htm , are translator is available because it's all written in dutch.

73,Hans,PA3HGT
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »

Hi Hans, I have owned many amps and I have to say this is one sweet KW amp, Alphas has nothing on the Acom's, there both top shelf, low noise amp in the shack is nice, easy to tune, very well protected, Acom did an excellent job and wow a clean KW on 160 to 6 meters.
Before I bought this amp I did check out your  site, lots of info and thank you.
Jim
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »

Be advised that the AL800 has attenuator in input circuit that increases drive requirements (65 to 75 watts for rated output) to make it less CB friendly and protect tube too. If you remove it you can reduce drive requires considerably. You can also purchase it with a import tube(s) for less.

Hey where is the attenuation circuit located so it can be removed? Any thing special you need to do or just remove it altogether.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:24:36 AM by KK4YDR » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 04:33:59 AM »

Be advised that the AL800 has attenuator in input circuit that increases drive requirements (65 to 75 watts for rated output) to make it less CB friendly and protect tube too. If you remove it you can reduce drive requires considerably. You can also purchase it with a import tube(s) for less.

Hey where is the attenuation circuit located so it can be removed? Any thing special you need to do or just remove it altogether.

It is not hard to remove and I was told how to do it too by Ameritron at Hamvention but forgot. I need to look at a schematic to jog memory. I was considering a single import tube version at time. It will do 1000+ watts without pushing tube ratings and I like to run about a KW or so and not worry about legal limit.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 10:44:26 AM »

I recently replaced a Centurion with an ACOM 1000.  Super easy to tune and works exactly as advertised.  Purchased from DX engineering. I could have bought something more powerful but a Kw fits well in a residential neighborhood.
Art
PA3HGT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2016, 12:08:32 PM »

I recently replaced a Centurion with an ACOM 1000.  Super easy to tune and works exactly as advertised.  Purchased from DX engineering. I could have bought something more powerful but a Kw fits well in a residential neighborhood.
Art

Nice that you like the Acom 1000 , Art. You will not regret it.When you can't work a dx with 1 Kw , it will also not succeed with 1,5 Kw.
Difference in signal between 1 Kw and 1,5 Kw is not that much.

Hans,PA3HGT
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »

Hans,
I found out a while ago that if I cannot get the DX on 500 watts I rarely do on 1000.
Art
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »

I found out that 1500 watts is far far different than 1000 watts when it has worked for me. That little teeny bit of radiation is the difference between barely being heard and being heard good enough to score that entry in your log book. I know... were talking fractions here ... but fractions count (sometimes!) not all the time.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:46 AM »

I found out that 1500 watts is far far different than 1000 watts when it has worked for me. That little teeny bit of radiation is the difference between barely being heard and being heard good enough to score that entry in your log book. I know... were talking fractions here ... but fractions count (sometimes!) not all the time.

I have never found it to be a difference on HF. It is more a state of mind. This is why some may buy amp that exceeds legal limit because 2000  vs 1000  or 3000 vs 1500 can make some difference. They should call it the pocket book limit and not legal limit because many are limited only by the size of amp they find and can afford as the legal limit is not enforced.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 06:58:15 AM »

Ameritron/MFJ will send you the amateur band modification instructions if you send them a request with a copy of your license.

Regarding input attenuation, recall that part 97 FCC regulations limit the gain of a commercial amplifier to no more than 15 dB. However, for 26-28 MHz, the maximum gain is 0 db. So the input attenuation has nothing to do with CB use of the amp as has been suggested. It is more likely there to protect the amp's input circuits or final(s) and keep your transmitter in a preferred operating range.

The internal attenuator is preferable to substantially turning down the output power of the transmitter since many transmitters have significant ALC overshoot when their RF output power is dialed back by 50% or more. This can negatively impact IM metrics and cause increased amplifier transients. A good target range in which to operate your transmitter is 70-80% output when driving the amplifier.

So before you bypass the attenuator, make sure you know the characteristics of your transceiver - a few radios exhibit good ALC behavior at significantly reduced output but most do not.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: