The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to pack a HW-101 for shipment  (Read 28478 times)
AD5IW

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:32:09 AM »

Hi everyone,

Just won an ebay auction for a hw-101 and was wondering about the best way have it packed.  It is a parts radio but I would like to keep the tubes from being damaged.

I have recommended to the seller to wrap the radio in bubble wrap, 3 to 4 inches thick all the way around.  Then put that ball of bubble wrap in to a box - with a tight fit.

Will this work?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
AD5IW
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

If you  can find any 1.5 ro 2 inch solid foam sheet. cut the sizeof the front panel and then cut out  for the controls..this will put any  pressure on the  face plate,,, not the ends of the  tunig  caps or  switches.
fill the inside with   bubble wrap so the tubes cant shake out of the sockets  or wiggle.

Rember some of the damage  may not come from the outside., as a 30 or 40  pound weight
moving inside the package can damage itself.
the box stops  from moving  by either falling  or horizontal motion, then the weight inside keeps  moving until something stops it.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »

Large size bubble wrap with generous layers on all sides, and a heavy duty cardboard shipping box.

There is no power transformer in that radio, and it is fairly light, which will minimize damage caused by rapid drops (little inertia.) If it was a premium radio, I'd  go with the bubble wrap, and add double boxing.

Pete
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »

Yes, I'll second the large bubble wrap. The bubble wrapped unit should fit tight in the carton, filling it out with a solid feel.
As an additional precaution, I slip an extra piece of cardboard between the face of the unit and the box to protect the dials and controls better. Works great... unless the UPS guy is magilla gorilla. However I saw saw a repair that was being sent to dropped before my eyes on the way in, but since it was packed with thick bubble wrap, nothing happened to the radio,

It was like that mars rover that was dropped on the surface inside over-sized bubbles, emerging unscathed!!  Grin

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »

You might find it advisable to have all the tubes pulled and shipped rolled up in bubble wrap - marked as to what they are and where they go. there's no a lot to retain them in their sockets.

But AC5UP would probably suggest shipping it straight to the dump anyway!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Benton Harbor to landfill... It's the Heathshkit way !

Given some of the suggestions listed above I had to ponder if the value of the bubble wrap might exceed that of the HazWaste 101.............

Eye of the beholder.   Wink

AD5IW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »

You might find it advisable to have all the tubes pulled and shipped rolled up in bubble wrap - marked as to what they are and where they go. there's no a lot to retain them in their sockets.

The seller is unfamiliar with radios so that might be a stretch to have him pull the tubes - and mark them.  But he went out to get the big bubble wrap.    Hope the radio makes it ok.....

I am almost finished restoring an old HW-100 that I had built 45 years ago.  What a blast it has been.  I've learned a lot about electronics and tubes.  I have the tools to do it right this time (scope, digital meter, digital watt meter, dummy load, frequency counter and Hakko desoldering tool).  Not to mention the great internet resource and help from these forums.

I've done the most of the hw101 improvement mods and that radio sounds great.  Better than it ever was.  It actually sounds much better than my K2/100.

Thanks for the help.

Paul
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

The seller is unfamiliar with radios so that might be a stretch to have him pull the tubes - and mark them.  But he went out to get the big bubble wrap.    Hope the radio makes it ok.....

I am almost finished restoring an old HW-100 that I had built 45 years ago.  What a blast it has been.  I've learned a lot about electronics and tubes.  I have the tools to do it right this time (scope, digital meter, digital watt meter, dummy load, frequency counter and Hakko desoldering tool).  Not to mention the great internet resource and help from these forums.

I've done the most of the hw101 improvement mods and that radio sounds great.  Better than it ever was.  It actually sounds much better than my K2/100.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

I have had numerous tube radios shipped to me with the tubes installed . in fact the one I saw getting dropped, had tubes but they remained in place due to the cushioning provided by the bubble pack.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »

It actually sounds much better than my K2/100.

Heretic!

AD5IW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »

It actually sounds much better than my K2/100.

Heretic!

Yeah I know.  I would never post that on the elecraft forum.

But the audio on the hw-100 is simply amazing.  It has a full body and is pristinely clear.  The k2 more tinny and slightly irritating - hard to listen to for an hour (for example).  The best test is to listen to the Russian CW operators in the 20 meter band in the evening.  The cw note is watery sounding (from crossing the pole, I guess).  It is much more readable on the hw100 than the k2. 

I added the 500 hz filter and that made the hw100 as sharp as the k2 - maybe a bit better.

Just my experience.  The k2 is waaay more portable.  Smiley
W6BP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »

Try turning the K2/100 on.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »

Yeah I know.  I would never post that on the elecraft forum.

Not to bring another cult following into the thread, but maybe it's the TOOB AUDIO !!

Imagine if the Heathshkit used a single 2A3 in the audio PA running pure Class A with about 800 volts on the plate...

Every pileup would sound like a choir of angels!

Or Not.

These monoblock amplifiers are in fact made on the planet Vulcan.  It's only logical.  Love the 5U4 displayed like it's the holy grail of audio.

BTW:  If you have to ask what they cost, you can't afford 'em.    Wink

WA2EHV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »

I built an HW-101 in 1976 when I upgraded to General. It cost $180, which was a helluva lot of money for a kid right out of college in those days of gas shortages. I still have it in the Boat Yard, but it doesn't work.  Lesson learned- don't try to build kits unless 1) you know exactly what you are doing;  2) you have the knowledge, ability, and equipment to troubleshoot problems and fix them when they go wrong; and 3) if you can't do those, you have knowledgeable friends who can help you.
Greg, WA2EHV

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »

Ayons... hmpf, last time I had a set of output tubes bulged out like that, I was two dits from a catastrophic failure.  obviously some French designer was responsible for the plate structure.  bet they light the room blue like the bottom of a spent fuel pool at the nuke plant.

handmade by Elves, no doubt.

spray paint 'em green, and I'll pay 10 bucks each.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:09:41 AM »

I don't know what those output tubes are, but if they had top caps, they would look like a fair number of 1930's transmitting tubes....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: