The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Keyboard Intermittent Problem  (Read 1807 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:18:02 PM »

I have had an intermittent problem ever since I added an wired external keyboard to my laptop in the shack, to make psk31 operation more convenient.  Quite often, the external keyboard dies, and to recover it, I have to momentarily remove it from the usb port and plug it back in (while the computer is still on).  Sometimes it kills the onboard laptop keyboard as well, and sometimes not.  I'm wondering if RF in the shack might be causing this, but that's just a guess.  I see no other indication of RF, but I do have window line running into the shack.  If so, do you think that a wireless  external keyboard would solve the problem  (i.e., no cord to pick up stray RF)?  Any comments?  

Thanks.
Dave
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:53:53 PM »

The first thing I'd try (cheapest and fastest potential fix) is to put a clip-on ferrite chokes on _both_ ends of the USB cable from computer to keyboard.

If that fixes the problem, the answer to your question is:

"Yes, there was RF in the shack."

Charles

G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »

If you have open wire feeder which you call window line entering the shack there is a good possibility that this could be causing your problem, or contributing to it.

G0GQK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: