The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 8x passes XP in world market share.  (Read 65113 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

From Microsoft

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Windows 7 Professional

Date of general availability
October 22, 2009

Retail software end of sales *
October 31, 2013

End of sales for PCs with Windows preinstalled
Not yet established **

** Microsoft will provide one year of notice prior to the end of sale date.

This is not news. Once again, IT GOES ON LIFE SUPPORT in 2 months. (they can sell dead code) There will ONLY be security updates after that date. No updates, enhancements, service packs or anything else. People are gullible and buy old code that is a dead end and MS laughs on way to bank because they know patient is terminal.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:10:06 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »

This is not news. Once again, IT GOES ON LIFE SUPPORT in 2 months. (they can sell dead code) There will ONLY be security updates after that date. No updates, enhancements, service packs or anything else. People are gullible and buy old code that is a dead end and MS laughs on way to bank because they know patient is terminal.

People are gullible and buy Windows 8 that is a dead end and MS laughs on way to bank because they know patient is terminal.
There John, fixed it for you.
Personally I find it arrogant of Microsoft to carry on defying the market. After all the customer is right.
The whole strategy around Windows 8 has failed. The Windows Phone is vying with Blackberry for the wooden spoon. No one is buying Windows 8 ReTarded . The X-Box One is being outsold by the Sony Playstation by a factor of 4:1.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2014, 04:02:04 AM »

Personally I find it arrogant of Microsoft to carry on defying the market. After all the customer is right. The whole strategy around Windows 8 has failed. The Windows Phone is vying with Blackberry for the wooden spoon. No one is buying Windows 8 ReTarded .

The customer has been flocking to smart phones and tablets and Win 7 is a dead end here. Win 8 was the first big step in a new direction and those that attack it never really bothered to learn it. I like it better than 7. As I said before the desktop market is dying/shrinking and 8 is first step to bridge gap. It takes time to make a big transition and there will be some stumbling on the way. BTW Blackberry is alive and well. They recently landed contract for Ford motor company Infotainment systems with their OS. MS had it with a Win 7 derivative as 8 was not a option at time and old school lost them contract as these are planned a few years before deployment.

I have a Win 8 Tablet and PC's and like how they play together. Times are changing.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2014, 04:53:40 AM »

The customer has been flocking to smart phones
They have indeed. Android and Iphone. Like Blackberry, the Windows phone has less than 4% of market share.

I thought you had a Win RT tablet. That is not real Windows.

As for those attacking it never bothered to learn it? Tell my XYL that. As  stated before, she has a Win 8.1 hybrid from April and she still swears at it, she may be disabled but thick she isn't.

What are you doing with a PC, I thought you said the PC is dead?Huh

73 de Tony
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »

The customer has been flocking to smart phones
They have indeed. Android and Iphone. Like Blackberry, the Windows phone has less than 4% of market share.

I thought you had a Win RT tablet. That is not real Windows.

As for those attacking it never bothered to learn it? Tell my XYL that. As  stated before, she has a Win 8.1 hybrid from April and she still swears at it, she may be disabled but thick she isn't.

What are you doing with a PC, I thought you said the PC is dead?Huh

Look how long it took Android to mature in software and hardware. It will take time for Windows phone to. It was a start from scratch and for first year it could not support more than a gig of ram and quad cores. Now that low power x86 cpu's from Intel will be available in mobile platform things will change in 2015 and beyond. No more writing for ARM and X86 bogging things down in future. 

As far as RT not being real windows, it is BETTER than real windows on a lower level tablet with only 2 gig of memory. It has about 1/2 the memory foot print of full windows on a tablet. Full windows needs at least 4 gig to run proper on a tablet. I like that RT comes with Office and Outlook included too.

On XYL, those with most trouble are ones stuck in old windows mode. It is a lot more flexible than 7 ever was when you learn it.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:34 AM »

On XYL, those with most trouble are ones stuck in old windows mode. It is a lot more flexible than 7 ever was when you learn it.

A bit presumptive aren't you??
You do not even know Lucy. She has had computers from the mid 80's starting with an Acorn BBC-B, she was pretty hot programming it.
She went onto Win 3.11, then had 95, 98FE, 98SE, ME, Win2000, XP, Missed Vista out, Win7, Android and Win8.1 (Only had that because her XP laptop expired otherwise that would have been missed)
As she has Cerebral Palsy with severe communication dificulties, a computer is key to her links to the "outside world" even so it didn't stop her getting a full radio license (M0LUY)

Look how long it took Android to mature in software and hardware. It will take time for Windows phone to

Once again, more bovine excrement. Windows phones have been on the go well before Android appeared, so how long does Microsoft need???

Now that low power x86 cpu's from Intel will be available in mobile platform things will change in 2015 and beyond. No more writing for ARM and X86 bogging things down in future.

So that means RT is on the way out?

73 de Tony
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »

A bit presumptive aren't you??
You do not even know Lucy. She has had computers from the mid 80's starting with an Acorn BBC-B, she was pretty hot programming it.
She went onto Win 3.11, then had 95, 98FE, 98SE, ME, Win2000, XP, Missed Vista out, Win7, Android and Win8.1 (Only had that because her XP laptop expired otherwise that would have been missed)
As she has Cerebral Palsy with severe communication dificulties, a computer is key to her links to the "outside world" even so it didn't stop her getting a full radio license (M0LUY)

I am truly sorry for her handicap but I think you answered own question in that she  is too used to old windows.

Once again, more bovine excrement. Windows phones have been on the go well before Android appeared, so how long does Microsoft need???

MS did not really get a truly viable OS to build phones on until 8 came out. Other were recycled old windows and MS had to start over.

So that means RT is on the way out?

Not sure. I know it will be supported for a long time and will likely see more enhancements. For a work tablet it is best out there fore money. Clip on a keyboard and you have a Office supporting device weighing less than 2 lbs and can rub for many hours and even has a RT version with LTE support.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:03:20 AM by W8JX » Logged

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2014, 11:42:31 AM »

RT is a dead end. While interesting on a small tablet, and since it need RTE apps, why would anyone want that when a non-RT Surface supports regular apps which are much more numerous? Besides, RT is designed for 32bit ARM. Acer's Pres, says there is "no value" in RT.

W8JW - While I agree with you that Windows 8 doesn't suck and is useful, I think your are being a bit narrow minded, thinking that everyone needs to follow your footsteps with a Surface Tablet or they are being left behind.  Not all people have the same computing needs. There is not a one size fits all computer.

All the talk about Win 8 vs Win 7 is really a time waster. We use applications. Ham Radio Deluxe, MS Office, Libre Office, etc., to do the things we need to do. The OS is just the bridge between the hardware and the applications. I use a Mac and have MS Office on it. I can do anything on it that people can on a Windows machine. My Ham Radio laptop is running Win 7 and HRD, WSJT-X, etc. There is currently no feature of Win 8 that would help me on that machine that Win 7 can't do. Win 7 is still supported so it's fine. So what if it's not getting new features rolled out. It's supported, and I am using it on that machine until something compels me to move to something else.

Win 8.1? It works fine and I use it on my work laptop and like it. I am on my company's early adopter program so I can get OS's before they are rolled out to anyone else. People are claiming that companies are skipping Win 8. Well some are doing that. Some are not. The company I work for supported and supplies images for Win 7 and Win 8.1. We can now choose which we want to use. We're a very large, fortune top 20 company which I will leave un-named. I know of other large companies that are also supporting Win 8. I also know of a very large company that's still using XP on desktops. If you are writing a large enough check, MS will still support XP.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »

Windows phones have been on the go well before Android appeared, so how long does Microsoft need???

Infinite time,  four or five  CEOs later , a lot of luck and a  squadron of flying pigs.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:56 AM »

RT is a dead end. While interesting on a small tablet, and since it need RTE apps, why would anyone want that when a non-RT Surface supports regular apps which are much more numerous? Besides, RT is designed for 32bit ARM. Acer's Pres, says there is "no value" in RT.

If you want a game tablet that runs old apps, RT is not choice but if you want a good snappy one that comes with office apps and handles web, printing and what have you nicely RT is ticket. Major media and social apps are well supported on RT but your not going to be able to run psk 31 on it which does not bother me at all.  

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2014, 03:19:04 AM »

So, pay over the odds for an Android clone and it doesn't do PSK???
Get a REAL Android, save money, shed loads of apps and PSK31

73 de Tony
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »

A surface tablet (non-RT) can do PSK . . .  Just FYI

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:28 AM »

No loss for me because I would not use RT for that and not found of PSK anyway. (my least favorite digital mode)

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »

No loss for me because I would not use RT for that and not found of PSK anyway. (my least favorite digital mode)

You are not the world.

Rick KK4GGL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »

"1.5 million Windows 10 testers can’t wait to get rid of Windows 8"

http://bgr.com/2014/12/17/windows-10-december-update/

"It’s no secret that Windows 8 hasn’t exactly been Microsoft’s most successful operating system, but the company is looking to turn things around next year with the release of Windows 10. According to the latest update on the Windows blog, over 1.5 million users are now registered for Windows Insider. Even more impressive: 450,000 of them are “highly active” on Windows 10."

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: