The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 8x passes XP in world market share.  (Read 65107 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »

I have not seen this documentary, but this squares with other accounts I've read. Several of those who were involved in the Romney campaign have said that their polls showed Romney with a lead. They were genuinely shocked when these polls turned out to be wrong.

But back to Win 8. Thanks for sharing data from a non-kool aid source.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »

I have not seen this documentary, but this squares with other accounts I've read. Several of those who were involved in the Romney campaign have said that their polls showed Romney with a lead. They were genuinely shocked when these polls turned out to be wrong.

I saw the documentary a few weeks ago on one of the premium channels either HBO or Showtime. Shocked would be an understatement. Mr. Romney and his advisers were incredulous on Election night when it became apparent Mr. Romney was going to lose. This documentary is highly interesting as Mr. Romney allowed the cameras to get up close and personal thru the whole campaign. It really gave an inside unbiased look at him, his advisers and his family.

Stan K9IUQ
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 05:49:50 AM »

Windows 8.x goes back into reverse gear, losing the most usage share yet per NetMarketShare.

http://betanews.com/2014/10/01/windows-8-x-goes-back-into-reverse-gear-losing-the-most-usage-share-yet/

XP lost .02 % in September, that operating system is down from 23.89 to 23.87%.

Windows 7 went UP 1.5% in September...from  51.21 to 52.71. It is at it's highest point ever according to the article.

Windows 8x LOST 1.11 % Share

"In August, Windows 8 managed a 6.28 percent share of the desktop operating system market, but lost 0.69 percent in September. Windows 8.1, an OS which really should be growing, went from an all-time high of 7.09 percent to 6.67 percent, a drop of 0.42 percent. In total, Windows 8.x lost 1.11 percent share."

According to the article, not only did XP lose less than Windows 8. XP is also more than 3 1/2 times MORE popular than Windows 8.

One of the comments below the article sums it up nicely.

"No, it's not a mass panic. Windows 8 was one of the worst user experience decisions ever. The new Start has 0 use for productivity oriented users, except getting in the way all the time. And no surprise that Windows 7 is still growing at the cost of Windows 8 - it was a desktop oriented OS which let's people get stuff done.

People buy Windows for desktops, not for tablet feature gimmicks which get in the way. Look at Mac OS / iOS for crying out loud."

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:54:14 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 05:53:24 AM »

Windows 8.x goes back into reverse gear, losing the most usage share yet per NetMarketShare.

http://betanews.com/2014/10/01/windows-8-x-goes-back-into-reverse-gear-losing-the-most-usage-share-yet/

XP lost .02 % in September, that operating system is down from 23.89 to 23.87%.

Windows 7 went UP 1.5% in September...from  51.21 to 52.71. It is at it's highest point ever according to the article.

Windows 8 went DOWN from 7.09 % to 6.67 % ...a drop of 0.42

"In August, Windows 8 managed a 6.28 percent share of the desktop operating system market, but lost 0.69 percent in September. Windows 8.1, an OS which really should be growing, went from an all-time high of 7.09 percent to 6.67 percent, a drop of 0.42 percent. In total, Windows 8.x lost 1.11 percent share."

According to the article, not only did XP lose less than Windows 8. XP is also more than 3 1/2 times MORE popular than Windows 8.

One of the comments below the article sums it up nicely.

"No, it's not a mass panic. Windows 8 was one of the worst user experience decisions ever. The new Start has 0 use for productivity oriented users, except getting in the way all the time. And no surprise that Windows 7 is still growing at the cost of Windows 8 - it was a desktop oriented OS which let's people get stuff done.

People buy Windows for desktops, not for tablet feature gimmicks which get in the way. Look at Mac OS / iOS for crying out loud."

.02 can be a statistical error too but not worth mentioning. As far as Win 8 dropping, dah... upgrading to 8.1......  It is gaining traction and month to month is not as important as trends....

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »

.02 can be a statistical error too but not worth mentioning.

Second mate to Titantic Captain: Sir, the boat is tilting down.
Captain: Just a statistical error, don't mention it again,

BetaMax Designer to CEO: This is a sure winner, it is much better than VHS

Edsel Engineer to Mr Ford: The men buyers will love it, the front grille reminds them of a woman.

Adviser to Mr. Romney on Election night: Just a statistical error, Fox News says not to worry.....

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 07:24:11 AM »

W8JX, you should have gone to Specsavers!!
The. 02% is XPs drop.
Win8.* dropped 1.11% of market share, hardly gaining traction is it? More like flaming tailspin leading to a crash and burn.
No idea what Win8 ReTard is doing in the market but I do know the WinPhone is vying for the wooden spoon award in very close competition with Blackberry.
Android and Apple have got that market completely sewn up

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 07:44:55 AM »

W8JX, you should have gone to Specsavers!!

John wears Rose Colored MS Glasses complete with blinders. He only sees what he wants to see.

Stan K9IUQ
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »

He runs extremely archaic ham equipment, that doesn't even offer WARC band coverage and thinks that is fine. No DSP processing, or other state of the art communications abilities, no real ham station to speak of,  and yet anyone who is happy with their current OS and hardware are worthy of his contempt?  Regardless of whether their hardware is still providing exactly what they need? Yeah, I am going to buy into the future and spend a huge premium to ride on the crest of the latest and greatest computer OS and hardware... even when six months down the road they won't be able to give that crap away.  It reminds of the losses incurred when the latest Flex 6000 series decimated the resale values for the last generation of Flex gear.

Hey, analog gear is fine... vintage ham gear is fun and does the job... but, if your old computer does what YOU need, there is NO advantage in buying into future. Wait until you have a need for a new OS or hardware. You will save a lot of money. Unless you have an ego problem or need to feel smug and superior, that is....
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »

He runs extremely archaic ham equipment, that doesn't even offer WARC band coverage and thinks that is fine. No DSP processing, or other state of the art communications abilities, no real ham station to speak of,  and yet anyone who is happy with their current OS and hardware are worthy of his contempt?  

Yeah it is ok for W8JX to have Mature (aka OLD) ham equipment. He will tell you it is superior to the DSP gear. He also has a Myth Busting rusty no radial Vertical antenna that he is quite proud of. So much so he actually has a picture of it on his QRZ.com website. His ideas are Odd to say the least. Everything he owns is much better than what you have. Just ask him.

And he expects us to respect his opinions on Win 8? He has become the know it all jester of eham, even superseding some other well known candidates.  Wink Cheesy

I like him though. He is just a sad misguided ham that needs our attention to feed his superior intellect.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:35:58 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »

More BS from a pro.  More and more people are dropping XP, and the only thing they can go to is either 7 or 8.  Now if you said that 8 is selling more than 7 is, that would be something--but you can't.  Nobody can.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »

I friend of mine was telling me that a few people he knows have actually installed XP on some older machines because they hear all the bad stuff about Win8 and they hear about a new version coming out soon so they dust off an old XP CD and install it so they can browse the web and get email until Win 10 is released.

We have several Win XP machines at work and they all run fine, no problems doing all the same things that we do with Win7.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 05:47:08 AM »

I friend of mine was telling me that a few people he knows have actually installed XP on some older machines because they hear all the bad stuff about Win8 and they hear about a new version coming out soon so they dust off an old XP CD and install it so they can browse the web and get email until Win 10 is released.

We have several Win XP machines at work and they all run fine, no problems doing all the same things that we do with Win7.

Yes and Windows XP still has 23.87%, clearly no one wants Windows 8. Microsoft is planning to release Windows 10 later next year, but however they are only hurting themselves by delaying it's release. Windows XP will not go under double digits anytime soon, It would not surprise me to see XP still running 10% to 15% three years from now.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »

The public access system i'm currently on is still Win XP based.  I spoke to the IT person here, and she says there is no plans to switch to another Windows anytime soon.  Seems that Win XP is working and working well across many different physical sites/towns and the institutions that are part of this system.

So support has been dropped.  So what?  (As I've been saying right along!)
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »

The public access system i'm currently on is still Win XP based.  I spoke to the IT person here, and she says there is no plans to switch to another Windows anytime soon.  Seems that Win XP is working and working well across many different physical sites/towns and the institutions that are part of this system.

So support has been dropped.  So what?  (As I've been saying right along!)

I agree 100% about MS support.  I know a lot of folks still using XP including myself.  All my apps including security are continuing support.  I don't need MS and they don't need my money.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

W7TX and K1CJS
Absolutely spot on. From another that never bought into the FUD fest

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: