The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux has a catastrophic flaw...  (Read 52975 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »

Once again what is used on a server and what is used at home is not related but you think it is.

The above links to enterprise support are for both server AND desktop versions.

Which is not such a big deal because Linux on the desktop is essentially a Linux server without server software enabled.

And before you say "Well this support is for big money clients so typical home desktop users are SOL, especially those who don't pay" that is not true.  Bug fixes and improvements that are done on the enterprise side are propagated back to the free versions so everyone benefits.

Again wishing does not make it so. Linux has less than 3% of home market (MAC has a little over 6%) which is a very small amount and it is not growing. Linux is a hobby OS on home front as market shows.

GnuLinux is NOT a hobby OS on any front. You saying it does not make it so.

BTW MS server is less than 5% behind Linux is usage.

From where did you get your figures?

Don't forget, there are more servers than just web servers. For instance, Oracle developed their own distribution (well, customized Red Hat) to host their database software.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:45:28 PM by KK4GGL » Logged

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 06:13:14 PM »

It IS a hobby OS for home period.

Don't forget, there are more servers than just web servers. For instance, Oracle developed their own distribution (well, customized Red Hat) to host their database software.

No Kidding???  My quote includes this and MS share is actually increasing a bit and Linux decreasing slightly.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »

It IS a hobby OS for home period.{/quote]

You saying it does not make it so.

No Kidding???  My quote includes this and MS share is actually increasing a bit and Linux decreasing slightly.

AGAIN, from where are you getting your figures?

Rick KK4GGL
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »

And how do you justify that statement?

Because so few people use it at home? Then OS X must be a hobby OS.

Is it because Linux was started by Linus Torvalds as a hobby project more than 20 years ago?  Well, Bill Gates and Paul Allen started out that way too. And too Woz and Steve Jobs.

Or is it because Linux is open and well documented, comes with plenty of free compilers and libraries and and so is a great platform for the hobbyist to build things like a router, a file server, an SDR, a robot, a cell phone app, a weather station, etc?

At work I write code for industrial gas sensors.  These sensors are Intel Atom based and use Ubuntu or Yocto Linux. I use Linux at home on a Core i7 Lenovo laptop to write code and documentation for work.  I also have a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian OS (a Debian variant) and Beaglebone Black running Angstrom Linux at home for work related R&D.

Meanwhile I have a Lenovo tower computer running Windows 8. This computer is dedicated for games, managing photos, web surfing, Netflix, and ham radio (HRD and WSJT-X).

Seems to me around here Windows is the hobby OS.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2014, 06:46:29 AM »

Because less than 3 computers in a 100 use Linux dah. OSx is kinda a hobby OS too. Between them they have less than 10% of market. This is not main stream by any means.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2014, 07:03:01 AM »

Because less than 3 computers in a 100 use Linux dah. OSx is kinda a hobby OS too. Between them they have less than 10% of market. This is not main stream by any means.

How does "Because less than 3 computers in a 100 use Linux" make Gnu Linux a "hobby OS"?

IMO an OS that is used by governments, companies and individuals can in no way be considered a hobby OS. While may unpaid volunteers are involved, GNU, the Linux kernel and OSS apps are also written and maintained by paid professionals.

Rick KK4GGL
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »

W8JX,

I know you are using "hobby" as a pejorative but it doesn't work if you consider the proper definition of the word.

hobby : an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

Note that the definition of a hobby says nothing about numbers or popularity. How many of those Windows computers in homes do you think are actually used for paid work?

As you say Linux is hard to use, with an out-dated, ugly GUI.  So why would anyone use it, especially at home?  I would suppose a large number of home users are, in fact, using it for work or using it as a learning tool to develop skills directly applicable to work.

Here's one example I know of.  In 1999 when I was working on super computers at Lawrence Livermore Labs, I met a professor by the name of Michael Levitt.  He was doing research in protein folding calculations, a very computational expensive endeavor. A problem he was having is that he kept running out of his CPU allocation on institutional supercomputers (when you get access you are allocated a number of CPU-hours so everyone gets some computational time).  His solution was to homebrew a mini-supercomputer at home. If I recall the details correctly, he set up a cluster of 8 DEC Alphas running RedHat in his garage, a prototype system if you will.  He was very enthusiastic about Linux and very hopeful that his little cluster would help his research.  I suppose you COULD say that this was a hobby for Prof. Levitt as he spent much of his free time tinkering with the system.  This work lead, in part, into the installation of a large Linux super computer at the university

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/7090/print

In fact, this "hobby" OS has worked out so well that almost all of the top super computers in the world run Linux

http://www.zdnet.com/linux-dominates-supercomputers-as-never-before-7000030890/

Out of the top 500 supercomputers, 485 run Linux and 13 run Unix. Only TWO run Windows.

By the way, in 2013 Michael Levitt and two others were award the Nobel prize in chemistry for their computational chemistry work.

http://www.scilogs.com/reactions/why-nobel-prize-in-chemistry-2013-goes-to-computational-modelers/

Pretty good for a "toy OS" wouldn't you say?
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2014, 07:47:14 AM »

You seem to have trouble with names. Mac OS has roots in Linix/Unix but it is called and consider Mac OS. It has been modified as has Android and is no longer considered Linux by anyone other than those trying to pump up Linux's foot print.

Where did you ever come up with that?  The Mac OS came from Nextstep, which came from the Berkley BSD, which came from Unix.  Linux is on an entirely different branch of that family tree is a very distant cousin of the Mac OS.

I think this thread is another distribution of the W8JX BS line.

What a troll jerk.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2014, 08:17:14 AM »

You seem to have trouble with names. Mac OS has roots in Linix/Unix but it is called and consider Mac OS. It has been modified as has Android and is no longer considered Linux by anyone other than those trying to pump up Linux's foot print.

Where did you ever come up with that?  The Mac OS came from Nextstep, which came from the Berkley BSD, which came from Unix.  Linux is on an entirely different branch of that family tree is a very distant cousin of the Mac OS.

I think this thread is another distribution of the W8JX BS line.

What a troll jerk.

Doesn't he realize how foolish he makes himself look. He would do himself a lot of good if he realized that he is not the worlds authority on everything and to keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know instead of making stuff up.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
WA2E

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »

I don't understand why you guys keep arguing with JX. He's not going to change his mind. Just ignore his posts.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: