The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners says MSFT Indonesia President  (Read 45539 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »

Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners

"Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" will be free to Windows 8 owners. Now everyone can make 'JX' happy and buy Windows 8 machines.

If Windows 9 won't be available until next year and if you buy a Windows 8 machine now...you'll have to suffer 1/2 a year with a dysfunctional Windows 8 GUI until "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" is released.

The hype will reach it's peak tomorrow as "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" is supposedly to be unveiled to the world.

As for me, I'll wait for the "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever"  bugs to be ironed out before buying a new machine with "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" . I guess I'm one of those people who cling to the past.....

Not sure if this offer is just for Indonesia or the rest of world. So far every site I looked at points back to the Microsoft Indonesian President comments. Thus it might be safe to say that until we hear from Redmond, it is just a Microsoft President from Indonesia making a statement. Redmond should confirm or deny.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2688652/microsoft-indonesia-president-windows-9-will-be-free-to-windows-8-owners.html

"According to Indonesian news site Detik.com (via BGR), Andreas Diantoro, the president of Microsoft Indonesia, confirms that Windows 9 will be a free upgrade for all Windows 8 users."

Remember that if you still want Windows 7 machines, they are still available in new and refurbished configurations on the web and MicroCenter. And Windows 7 is good until 2020.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:02:34 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »

When Consumers will not buy it, to save face you must give it away.
This is an obvious ploy to boost dismal Win 8 sales.

Stan K9IUQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

Stan K9IUQ

Spoken by a man who knows little about Win 8 other than it has no 90's style interface and feels that 7 is a good solution even though it has NO support for new apps while 8 fully supports old Win32 apps and next generation ones. I have a Win 98 laptop that should be your speed.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

Stan K9IUQ
More likely spoken by a man who knows that no matter how good (or bad) a product is, it is the consumer that has the final say. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

Stan K9IUQ
More likely spoken by a man who knows that no matter how good (or bad) a product is, it is the consumer that has the final say. 

In a year it will be forgotten as people learn to leave 7 GUI and limitations behind. There is no future in 7 and change can be painful at first

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »

In a year it will be forgotten as people learn to leave 7 GUI and limitations behind. There is no future in 7 and change can be painful at first

Nothing painful at all, no one has to buy anything. Windows 7 is good till 2020, And until  "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" is released and the bugs worked out...refurbished Windows 7 desktops are under $150 and new Win 7 computers are still available.

And just because "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" will be free for Windows 8 users and "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" will be unveiled tomorrow does NOT mean that people will make a mass exodus out of 7.  

Not until "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" has the bugs worked out and the GUI is what the consumer wants and the what the corporate world requires. It is easy to forget that in a professional corporate setting, fingerprint smudged touch screens (Windows 8 ) do not look good nor does it look professional.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »

Even Microsoft agrees with that statement. Consumers have spoken on Win 8. They do not want it OR need it. There has been no compelling reasons for consumers to upgrade. Microsoft is trying to fix it, just as they fixed the Win Vista flop and called the fix Win 7..

By giving away Win 9 to Win 8 buyers they are admitting Win 8 was a big mistake for them, even worse than Win ME or Vista. They want to make amends, more important they are trying not to disrespect the paying consumer again by releasing a product no one wants or needs. If Win 9 flops as badly as Win 8 it may be all over for Microsoft.

They have made far too many Flops and mistakes in the last several years.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:11:11 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

Spoken by a man who knows little about Win 8 other than it has no 90's style interface and feels that 7 is a good solution even though it has NO support for new apps while 8 fully supports old Win32 apps and next generation ones. I have a Win 98 laptop that should be your speed.

Spoken by a man that doesn’t know a touch interface isn't suitable for everything.

Rick KK4GGL
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

Spoken by a man that doesn’t know a touch interface isn't suitable for everything.

Just FYI . . Windows 8.1 works fine on a non touch screen laptop. I have been using it daily since it been out. There is a desktop in Windows 8 you know?  Roll Eyes

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »

Nothing painful at all, no one has to buy anything. Windows 7 is good till 2020, And until  "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever" is released and the bugs worked out...refurbished Windows 7 desktops are under $150 and new Win 7 computers are still available.

If you want to invest new money in old Windows knock yourself out. You will be 6 years behind the curve in 2020 and locked out of next generation software too till then as well. Dumb dumb dumb....

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »

Let's face it . . . if you are running Win 7 or newer you are really fine. The "religious" discussion is old especially when it is not based on facts. . . . If the applications you need run on an OS you choose then fine. I just don't like the Anti-Win 8 discussion when the sole argument is about the Metro interface. I think that's a crock as Win 8 has a desktop. So what there is a start screen instead of a start button. But hey, if that's a problem, then Win 7 runs fine. Have at it.

I run Win 8.1 on my work laptop, Mac OSX for my personal machine, and Win 7 on my Ham Radio laptop. I just don't use Linux full time anywhere. And they all serve the purpose that I need in each case.

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »

Consumers have spoken on Win 8. They do not want it OR need it. There has been no compelling reasons for consumers to upgrade. Microsoft is trying to fix it, just as they fixed the Win Vista flop and called the fix Win 7..

win 8 was a commercial success, Y'know.
- they sold 10s millions of copies for several hundred million $$.

it's just that at a SKU < volume > level,  that it did not achieve the sales that were required of it.
anyone that has an issues with it's layout, will simply install classic shell.

win 8 was heavily discounted at it's initial launch,
- now the speculation is that win 9, will be heavily discounted, as well.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »

That might not be an accurate statement. Microsofts development cycle is really a long one and between the time of Win7 and Win8 they had to pay several thousand employees plus all the other expenses.  I am not sure what number of copies they need to sell to break even but 10 million copies at the new lower price may not even reach that point.
IMO it's already too late for MS, they might survive but I suspect the company will soon have to start scaling back operations.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »

That might not be an accurate statement. Microsofts development cycle is really a long one and between the time of Win7 and Win8 they had to pay several thousand employees plus all the other expenses.  I am not sure what number of copies they need to sell to break even but 10 million copies at the new lower price may not even reach that point.
IMO it's already too late for MS, they might survive but I suspect the company will soon have to start scaling back operations.

They are making plenty of money. They are not in trouble . . . They have more income sources than just consumer Windows licenses. A bunch of people whining about Win 8 is not endangering MS.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:15:18 AM »

Wayne, the Win8 problem is not down to "a bunch of people whining" , its down to the fact that, despite there is no choice on the high street, people are just not buying it! <14% after two years says it all. Everybody at Microsoft associated with it got the sack or sideways shifted.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: