The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners says MSFT Indonesia President  (Read 45002 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »

So that means a refurbished Windows 7 desktop could be in the near future at some point in this household since it won't be until 2016 we get a brand new computer. And that is only if Windows 10 doesn't turn out to be a turd.

Win 10???  you mean 9 which will not be 9 or a number as word is they are going back to names.  As far as the turd, you have it with dead end 7 loosing main stream support in 5 month.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »

So that means a refurbished Windows 7 desktop could be in the near future at some point in this household since it won't be until 2016 we get a brand new computer. And that is only if Windows 10 doesn't turn out to be a turd.

Win 10???  you mean 9 which will not be 9 or a number as word is they are going back to names.  As far as the turd, you have it with dead end 7 loosing main stream support in 5 month.

Microsoft called it Windows 10 http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/09/30/microsoft-windows/16474073/

The MSFT Indonesian President called it Windows 9  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2688652/microsoft-indonesia-president-windows-9-will-be-free-to-windows-8-owners.html

Since you are the Microsoft expert...what is it? Windows 9 or 10? And why did the Indonesian President say the OS (Windows 9) will be free?

As for Windows 7 losing support, it is supported until 2020. Why should you care if I refuse to use Windows 8?  I'm the one "clinging to the past".

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »

Almost all releases had skid marks, and promises that future releases would cure all ills.  XP was the closest they ever got.
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »

In my earlier post I mentioned people in my office using Win 7 and a few like me using Win 8. I got to thinking  . . . Why does someone "need" Win 8 today? The answer is really this . . No one "needs" Win 8 unless one of the following conditions exist.

1) Use a touch device and need Metro
2) Have to run some application that's available on Win 8 only (and not Win 7 or earlier)

Unless you have one of those conditions, then Win 8 is not "needed". Now desire on the other hand to keep up to date and to run the latest version is not a "need". It's a desire. There is nothing wrong with staying with Win 7. It's a supported OS and gets updates etc, unlike XP.  That said, there is nothing wrong with Win 8 (8.1) as a desktop/laptop OS.

Now the only part of W8JX discussion I agree with is change in coming again in Win 9. Metro won't go away, and Win 9 won't revert back to Win 7 look and feel. Yea it looks like they are re-adding a start menu but it won't be a new version of Win 7.

Any how about support for instant on from sleep and future apps too? 7 is a dead end. If you have a old 7 machine that's one thing but to spend new money on a old OS that will loose main stream support in 5 months (it will only get security fix only after that) and do not support newer hardware and apps is silly.

I'm inclined to agree that buying a dead OS is a waste of money.
Which is why I want to buy a computer without any M$ software installed on it.
Only M$ won't let me -they force all major manufacturers to sign agreements to install a M$ OS on any computer they sell.
They're really, really angry that those &*(% commies in China won't do that.
One state even went to far as to require documents submitted to the state to be in Open Document Format.
M$ sued to reverse that (and won).

My computers all run free OSs using free software.
They work just fine.
Unlike M$ OSs.

If "Angry Birds" is your speed, you like Windows 8 (although Android works a lot better, and is much cheaper)

Scientists and engineers don't use Windows computers.

If you INSIST on paying for something I get for free, I can only say "Whatever blows your skirt up, honey!"

M$ seems to agree with the pundits that Windows 8 has been an unmitigated distaster, one that it badly wants you to forget.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2490442/microsoft-windows/microsoft-wants-you-to-forget-windows-8.html?page=2
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »

I build all my PC's.  I can therefore customize them the way I want and they are cheaper and a lot better value for the $ than the stock units.  Check out Newegg and see the kind of deals you can get on parts.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »

I build all my PC's.  I can therefore customize them the way I want and they are cheaper and a lot better value for the $ than the stock units.  Check out Newegg and see the kind of deals you can get on parts.

I used to, until my time became worth more than that of the guys in the local computer stores.

Then, for a long time, you could go to computer shows with a list of parts and get vendors to quote a price; they'd even assemble the computer for you at the show.

But, alas, computer shows are far and few between these days.

Last I looked (a few years ago) the major manufacturers would still let you mix and match selected parts on their web sites.

But the selection is nothing like what I got at the computer shows.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »

Since you are the Microsoft expert...what is it? Windows 9 or 10? And why did the Indonesian President say the OS (Windows 9) will be free?

I read a lot. Read nothing about free but MS typically offers a free update for systems purchased after a certain date when a new version is in pipeline. As far as name, my sources have said no official name yet but leaning away from numbers.   

As for Windows 7 losing support, it is supported until 2020. Why should you care if I refuse to use Windows 8?  I'm the one "clinging to the past".

There is a BIG mis-understanding on 7's support cycle. In 5 months it will no longer get product updates period! After this it will get ONLY security patches which it what they give all OSes going into life support mode. It will be same as Vista in that it only receives security updates too now.  Win8x is looking at about 2 1/2 years more of active support and updates BEFORE it goes into life support mode. Do the math, 7 is a dead end and MS has no big updates for it in pipeline either to release before it goes on life support. To think otherwise about 7 is being in denial.

WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »

Well here's how it played out... They finished the code for Win 9/Threshold.. Only problem is it crashed booting up... So in a panic there re-releasing win 7 with a little frufru thrown in...
CTA on the win 8 fiasco heretofore to be known as win FUBAR.
Not the first time MS has pulled this number.
He He
This is meant to be satirical. So shills don't get your pantys in a bunch.

Although remember ME and Vista....

Hmm
and BTW

"Microlimp Support" is an Oxymoron.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »

Well here's how it played out... They finished the code for Win 9/Threshold.. Only problem is it crashed booting up... So in a panic there re-releasing win 7 with a little frufru thrown in...
CTA on the win 8 fiasco heretofore to be known as win FUBAR.
Not the first time MS has pulled this number.
He He
This is meant to be satirical. So shills don't get your pantys in a bunch.

Although remember ME and Vista....

Hmm
and BTW

"Microlimp Support" is an Oxymoron.

There was nothing wrong with Vista SP1 and above on right hardware. I still have a few Vista machines that have never been reloaded. The problem was some OEM's (like Dell) rushed to market with hardware not Vista compliant. When proper hardware and SP1 reached market it was too late and it never got a chance to prove its merits. 7 is just a tweaked Vista on better/new/faster hardware.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »

Microsoft announced today, they're skipping 9 and going straight to 10...

This should surprise no one. They want to get as far away from the stench of Win 8 as possible.
They should NOT use Windows in the name at all. Just call it MOS 10...
More of Same....

Stan K9IUQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »

I used to, until my time became worth more than that of the guys in the local computer stores.

Then, for a long time, you could go to computer shows with a list of parts and get vendors to quote a price; they'd even assemble the computer for you at the show.

Last I looked (a few years ago) the major manufacturers would still let you mix and match selected parts on their web sites.

Newegg has just about every part known to mankind. You just order a case that you like and then pick out the parts you want.  Total assembly time for me is typically two hours, then comes the time consuming part of installing the OS and all the applications I need.
Typically within a few days I have it exactly the way I want it and the best part is that I have top grade hardware inside, not that low end stuff Dell typically sells.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »

They should NOT use Windows in the name at all. Just call it MOS POS 10...

Fixed. Grin

From this article from The Next Web:  "While showing off the new operating system, Joe Belfiore, Corporate Vice President, Operating Systems Group at Microsoft, said today that going from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is like going from a Prius Chevy Vega to a Tesla Yugo. 'They don’t have to learn any new way to drive.'”

Also fixed. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »

Newegg has just about every part known to mankind. You just order a case that you like and then pick out the parts you want.  Total assembly time for me is typically two hours, then comes the time consuming part of installing the OS and all the applications I need.
Typically within a few days I have it exactly the way I want it and the best part is that I have top grade hardware inside, not that low end stuff Dell typically sells.
Looks good.  I've avoided buying a new computer while Windoze 8 was the only option.
I have noticed that some retailers are now offering computers with Win 7  Cool
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »

I have noticed that some retailers are now offering computers with Win 7  Cool

Nothing name brand because big players know 7 is a dead end. Why anyone would by a new computer with a OS that will be on life support and only receive security fix in 5 months is beyond me. Like buying a new car without a full warranty.

KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »

I get so tired of the OS religion bigots.

The fact is that, if you know what you are doing, the OS you are running is the right one for you.  I use Linux and Windows and I don't have any problems with either.  But I've spent close to 30 years working for a living with Windows (workstations and servers, now even virtualized servers running under Hyper-V in a cluster) and bang-on 20 years working for a living with Linux (starting with Slackware back in the olden times of the mid-1990's), so my paycheck sort of depends on me knowing what I'm doing.

If only we could get past the religious wars, maybe threads like this would die the quick and unlamented death that they deserve.

BTW, OpenVMS was, hands down, the best OS ever built.  So there.  Phbbbt!  Cheesy  Wink  /kidding
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: