The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners says MSFT Indonesia President  (Read 45541 times)
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »

I have noticed that some retailers are now offering computers with Win 7  Cool

Nothing name brand because big players know 7 is a dead end. Why anyone would by a new computer with a OS that will be on life support and only receive security fix in 5 months is beyond me. Like buying a new car without a full warranty.

Bzzert!  Wrong.  You can still buy Dell machines with Windows 7.  I have one sitting right in front of me that was purchased within the last 90 days.

Unless maybe you think Dell is no longer a big player.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »

Nothing name brand because big players know 7 is a dead end. Why anyone would by a new computer with a OS that will be on life support and only receive security fix in 5 months is beyond me. Like buying a new car without a full warranty.

I gotta call BS on this one  . . . This is not like the end of support that XP just went through. End of mainstream support means no more service packs or new features rolled out as updates. It's essentially a "freeze" in features but Win 7 will receive patches, fixes, security updates etc until 2020 when extended support ends. Win 7 is fine to use and supported until 2020.

Your constant "gotta move to Win 8" is silly. Don't get me wrong, I like Win 8.1 and use it daily on my work laptop. It works great.  . . . That said I have Win 7 on my Ham Radio laptop and have no plans in moving it to Win 8 yet.

WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »

From PC World:
"Computers packing the consumer versions of Windows 7—Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate—still have a date with the chopping block on October 31, 2014 ... The end of mainstream support for Windows 7—read: no more general patches and fixes—is still scheduled for January 14, 2015."

Computer manufacturers/vendors are probably in high gear (they have 30 days) to dump whatever machines they have with this pre-installed software.

Pete, wa2cwa
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »

From PC World:
"Computers packing the consumer versions of Windows 7—Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate—still have a date with the chopping block on October 31, 2014 ... The end of mainstream support for Windows 7—read: no more general patches and fixes—is still scheduled for January 14, 2015."

Computer manufacturers/vendors are probably in high gear (they have 30 days) to dump whatever machines they have with this pre-installed software.

Pete, wa2cwa

It DOES NOT MEAN no more patches . . . It means no new features but fixes/patches will continue. Since you quote PC World, read the article . . .

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462643/what-happens-when-microsoft-ends-windows-7-mainstream-support-next-year.html

Win 7 will continue receiving security patches until 2020. It's plenty safe to use until then.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »

Are you saying Dell is not a name brand? If it isn't , what is?

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »

It's essentially a "freeze" in features but Win 7 will receive patches, fixes, security updates etc until 2020 when extended support ends. Win 7 is fine to use and supported until 2020.

Some are really brain dead on this. No it will not. It will ONLY receiver life sup[port security patches and NOTHING more in 5 month. No more update or fixes not security related or such. Some seem to not understand the difference between a FULLY supported OS and one on life support.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »

It's essentially a "freeze" in features but Win 7 will receive patches, fixes, security updates etc until 2020 when extended support ends. Win 7 is fine to use and supported until 2020.

Some are really brain dead on this. No it will not. It will ONLY receiver life sup[port security patches and NOTHING more in 5 month. No more update or fixes not security related or such. Some seem to not understand the difference between a FULLY supported OS and one on life support.

Read the link I posted a couple posts back . . . from PC World. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

I need no PC world link, go to MS support. I is obvious you do not know the difference between a fully support OS and one on life support. In 5 months it will be in same boat as Vista for support.

You should not try to tell people it is fully supported till 2020 when it will not.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »

I need no PC world link, go to MS support. I is obvious you do not know the difference between a fully support OS and one on life support. In 5 months it will be in same boat as Vista for support.

You should not try to tell people it is fully supported till 2020 when it will not.

I never said FULLY supported. I said supported until 2020. I understand it's security patches and not new features etc. It's pretty simple. Bottom line it's safe to use if people are satisfied with it for their use until 2020.

WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

From PC World:

Pete, wa2cwa

It DOES NOT MEAN no more patches . . . It means no new features but fixes/patches will continue. Since you quote PC World, read the article . . .

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462643/what-happens-when-microsoft-ends-windows-7-mainstream-support-next-year.html

Win 7 will continue receiving security patches until 2020. It's plenty safe to use until then.

You can read whatever you want into their blurb, but the bottom line is mainstream support for the consumer versions of Win 7 ends January 15, 2015. If one is happy with that scenario,  Windows 7 is for you. But, if one is in the market for a new machine, getting an operating system whose mainstream support ends in a few months, makes no sense to me.

Pete, wa2cwa
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

You guys are behind the times. The next version is Windows 10, not 9.   Grin

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/

As far as people not adopting Win 8, it is monkey see monkey do.  Most people who badmouth Win 8 have not tried it and don't even know why they hate it so much (other than what someone else has told them).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:17:18 PM by SWL2002 » Logged
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »

From PC World:

Pete, wa2cwa

You can read whatever you want into their blurb, but the bottom line is mainstream support for the consumer versions of Win 7 ends January 15, 2015. If one is happy with that scenario,  Windows 7 is for you. But, if one is in the market for a new machine, getting an operating system whose mainstream support ends in a few months, makes no sense to me.

Pete, wa2cwa

I agree with you . . . It all depends on scenario . . New machine, then by all means get new OS, Win 8.1. If you are running Win 7 on a non-new machine then it depends on your needs. I am not anti-win 8. I use it everyday on my work laptop by choice and like it a lot.

All I am saying is the end of mainstream support does not mean everyone needs to go out and buy Win 8.1 for existing machines. Win 7 will be safe to use until 2020 if it meets your needs and all your applications run on it just fine.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 04:07:26 PM »

It is not a question of safety but one of a dead end OS. Like Win9x in 90's dead ended when Win 2000 and XP came out with new program support, those that clung to 9x fell behind. XP supported old 16 bit windows apps and sloppy 32 bit apps but that stopped with Vista. Now Win 8x supports old Win 32 apps and next generation apps coming on line. 7 does not like old 95/98 did not support modern apps. Word is next generation Office will not run on 7 or older OS because it will use new standard supported in 8 and beyond.

See you think it is all about security but it is about ham stringing yourself and missing out on changing apps and technology. You will be stuck 2012 or so apps/technology and locked out of new apps coming on line since 2012. Win 8 will run old your old apps and new and your just cutting off nose to spite face.... Come 2020 you will be so far behind curve it will be silly but you showed them you could sit on 7.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »

It is not a question of safety but one of a dead end OS. Like Win9x in 90's dead ended when Win 2000 and XP came out with new program support, those that clung to 9x fell behind. XP supported old 16 bit windows apps and sloppy 32 bit apps but that stopped with Vista. Now Win 8x supports old Win 32 apps and next generation apps coming on line. 7 does not like old 95/98 did not support modern apps. Word is next generation Office will not run on 7 or older OS because it will use new standard supported in 8 and beyond.

See you think it is all about security but it is about ham stringing yourself and missing out on changing apps and technology. You will be stuck 2012 or so apps/technology and locked out of new apps coming on line since 2012. Win 8 will run old your old apps and new and your just cutting off nose to spite face.... Come 2020 you will be so far behind curve it will be silly but you showed them you could sit on 7.

The only thing Win 8 offers that 7 does not, is touch screen interfacing in a nice way. Don't need that on my Ham Laptop. There is NO version of MS Office out today, that I am aware of nor listed on MS web site, that will run on Win 8 that won't run on Win 7. Office (including 365) runs on Windows, Mac OSX, iPhone, iPad etc. Win 8 is not required, it's a choice of many.  What version is it you refer to that runs only on Win 8?  For now, for my Ham Radio laptop, Win 7 is working fine. Theres nothing I need that is available on Win 8 and not on Win 7.  The laptop I use for my radio machine, has a Wacom digitizer screen that I have been unable to find a Win 8 driver for. So until I find one, it makes zero sense to move to Win 8 and lose functionality of the touch screen/stylus. It's a early tablet PC from several years ago but it's got a quad core processor and 8GB of RAM so it makes a great ham radio laptop running Win 7 for now.  So it sometimes make sense to NOT be on the latest and greatest.

Now for work . . . I am on my company's IT Beta testing program. I get PC Operating systems as an early adopter before the rest of the company to test and make sure company apps and web sites work. I have been using Win 8 and 8.1 for over a year. I like it, it works, I am converting co-workers over to it as well.

My personal machine? It's a Mac running the newest version of OSX available for general release.

It's about the total situation, security included. Besides, like I have said before. It's NOT about the operating system, it's about the applications! So play with Windows 8 and I'll be getting work done with an operating system that works for my situation.  You don't choose the OS then find apps . . . the right way is to find the apps you need, then choose the OS that will run them.

WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »

MS Office 2013 will run on Win7 and Win8/8.1.  I was able to take my MS Office 2000 all the way to Vista but with the newer machines, I had to get MS Office 2013. Great suite of programs and ran rings around my Office 2000.

I have one old 16 bit DOS amateur program that will not run under the Win7 or Win8 Command line. But after a year, I've learned to live without it. I still have my Vista machines that run very well, so if I need this old program, I can run it on them.

Pete, wa2cwa
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: