The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB200 tuned input band switch  (Read 28625 times)
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »

There is no aftermarket support.  Heathkit is long out of business. 572 tubes are no longer in production. You like to argue that XP is passe, yet as a ham you are living 50 years in the past using obsolete communications technology. Why is that?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »

There is no aftermarket support.  Heathkit is long out of business. 572 tubes are no longer in production. You like to argue that XP is passe, yet as a ham you are living 50 years in the past using obsolete communications technology. Why is that?

Harbach supports it and I have seen no confirmation that 572 tubes are no longer in production. As far as using a 40 year old 600 watt amp, nothing old tech about it and never ones are cheaply built.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »

BTW I just checked and you can still get 572's direct from China and Hong Kong for 100 to 120 for a pair shipped free. I wonder if China is just selling more direct now and less thru 3rd US parties.

I did find this quote too on RF parts page.

"We have been working with a very good Chinese Factory to upgrade our 811A and 572B lines. It has taken longer than we had planned to get factory started in the redesign to get the tube as close to the old Cetron quality as possible. We are excited about this new tube, and we can't wait to share it with you all.

The new price for these tubes has not been determined yet. And will be listed on our website when they arrive and we have tested them and determined their price.

We sincerely apologize for the delay.
Please call and tell us you want to be placed on this waiting list."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:18:39 PM by W8JX » Logged

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »

Just for the record, Lou makes repairs on all amps and has a large supply of parts according to his King conversions site. I have seen his discussion of working on Ameritron, Ten Tec, and others
so he can most likely supply you with the wafer or tell you where to get one. Let us know how you make out on the SB 200. It is a good amp, I just sold mine, but it is dated for sure.

Frank
W5KG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 05:48:39 AM »

Many thanks to all that responded. I did contact Lou and he had what I needed.
I think the little amp is still popular because of its easy use and simple, and not to hard to repair.
I think as far as auto band change,  it is the cost $300-$400 vs  $1500-$5,000 and up.
Now look at the 572b's. RF parts has been trying to get the makers to build a tube that is equal to the US made Centron. I have not checked to see if they have them yet.
The main problem the SB200 have is keying the higher voltage and ALC. I have built solid state switching that I put is all the 200's I have repaired so any rig will safely key the little amp.
ALC, I don't use it. I know there is a debate about that, but I just do not use it. I drive my amps (SB230 and SB200) with 50w.
The SB230 has been re-tubed to get rid of the 8873.
Any way thanks again to all.
Don, W5KG

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »

I've had an SB-200 in operation for three years now. I purchased it for $300 with a spare pair of NOS Cetron 572Bs. I'm still running the original Cetron tubes and getting an average of 500 watts out on all all bands.  Replaced the power supply module with a Harbach replacment and the SB-200 still performs. The modest cost for these old gems and the occasional maintenance still balances in your favor compared with modern $1500 plus medium amplifiers.  So I echo W8JX's statement in full agreement with him and K1ZJH's statement is right as well.  If you have one of these SB-200 you will realize how many Hams own them and continue to operate them.  My SB-200 probably had four previous owners before me; it's an early model over 45 years old.  That said, the Harbach mod kits are great to extend the longevity of these amps and of course the downside is the availability/quality of the 572Bs.  Keying power feedback to your modern rig is a precautionary item as well but you should learn as much as you can before venturing into a vintage piece of gear. Hams are engineers, technicians, and operators.  If you're just an operator and have an interest in any older equipment you should study the beast and read up on it first before plugging things in and powering up.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »

I remember seeing my first SB 200 in operation in 1969. It has always stuck out more than other amps in my mind. Easy to tune and we'll built too. Two 572's have a safe rated dissapation than four 811's. They also have a higher rated input power too. 600+ watts out is easy for a pair of 572's and can do it for years too. The 200 I picked up a few years ago was stock except some one had painted it black but worked fine and did not show hard use. I restored stock colors and reindeer tuning controls and it's a pleasure to use with a nice feel. I get 500 out with 50 in. (I very rarely run more than 50 watts barefoot) I have a harbach power supply update kit for it and a soft key kit I plan to install soon.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »

Harbach supports it and I have seen no confirmation that 572 tubes are no longer in production. As far as using a 40 year old 600 watt amp, nothing old tech about it and never ones are cheaply built.

And NO WARC coverage???  I just found it strange that someone who would continually rag on folks who still use XP would be a Luddite when it comes to clinging onto obsolete ham gear?  Harbach is a support source?Huh  LOL!  Lou at King is a support source for anything relating to linears.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »

And NO WARC coverage???  I just found it strange that someone who would continually rag on folks who still use XP would be a Luddite when it comes to clinging onto obsolete ham gear?  Harbach is a support source?Huh  LOL!  Lou at King is a support source for anything relating to linears.

Personally I see lack of native WARC coverage as I non issue. I rarely use a amp above 20 and never felt need for it on 17 or 12. I have worked 17 with great success merely mobile.  I use a amp on 40 and 80 and not on 160 though I have another amp that covers it. Any amp that is still quite viable after 30 or 40 years was well designed and built.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »

My SB-220 covers 160 through WARC. But, that is another topic.

Maybe you might just consider you crusade against XP users is equally silly??  Go think about it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »

My SB-220 covers 160 through WARC. But, that is another topic.
Maybe you might just consider you crusade against XP users is equally silly??  Go think about it.

There's a difference. Amp technology has not really changed in 40 years on base level amps on other hand computers and software has changed radically. Plus XP is a ticking time bomb for security risks. It simply is not worth it. My old favorite is Vista. Never really cared for 7 much. I suspect I will use it until support for it drops and bypass 7. I have a old Intel quad core with 8 gig and terabyte drive with 64 bit vista and it is still a solid performer. While XP supports multicores it is not as efficent at it as Vista and beyond. XP was great 12 years ago but not today.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »

Amp technology has not changed in 40 years??  I guess that leaves out transistors, FETs amd microprocessor control.

Yep, and computers haven't changed much since I keypunching Fortran for an IBM 360, or working on Data General Novas or DEC PDP-8s.  Or RCA Spectras.

Too funny. You've lost credibility. By the way, there are new WARC bands... you might want to check the latest ham regulations.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »

Amp technology has not changed in 40 years??  I guess that leaves out transistors, FETs amd microprocessor control.

Yep, and computers haven't changed much since I keypunching Fortran for an IBM 360, or working on Data General Novas or DEC PDP-8s.  Or RCA Spectras.

Too funny. You've lost credibility. By the way, there are new WARC bands... you might want to check the latest ham regulations.

No you might buy a solid state amp or one micro processor controlled for 4000 or more but tell me how does that equate to a 300 or 400 buck SB200?Huh  It would be compared to something like a 811 amp or such which is same technology.

Computers have not changed much? Have you been living in a cave??? Processing power, plug and play, video processing and streaming, encoding, voice recognition and many other things have changed a lot largely because of exponential increases in computational power that allows complex code to execute effortlessly.

And WARC bands so there is a 60 and 30 and 17 and 12 and if there is more I do not care it is irrelevant too if you do not operate on them. You fdo not need a amp to do well on top 3 and bottom two have power limits. You are just trying to save face.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »

Any if I don't need that processor power?  This is exactly why you are so clueless with your constant bashing of XP and shilling the latest and greatest... for a ham living with 1970s analog technology that is a hoot! And what is sad, you can't see the distinction. I worked for RCA/Unisys, and was also trained in DEC and Data General mini's back in the 70s.  I have had enough experience in computers to realize that buying beyond what you need to do a task is foolish. I'd bet you were first in line to buy any of the new IPhone releases  Grin Grin Grin  You don't buy a computer bashed on what it can do, you buy a computer or OS on what you NEED to do.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 07:55:21 AM »

ZJH:   
computer or OS on what you NEED to do.

This would be true if you and your needs were static.  But for those who are constantly considering what they MIGHT want to do, buying into the future is profitable and wise.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: