The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB200 tuned input band switch  (Read 28627 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »

ZJH:   
computer or OS on what you NEED to do.

This would be true if you and your needs were static.  But for those who are constantly considering what they MIGHT want to do, buying into the future is profitable and wise.

Yes but there will always those that resist change. In 2012 I was not happy about 8 but after getting to use it on laptops and tablets I love it. Many only see it as Metro only and fear or attack what they do not understand.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:10 AM »

Yes, but buying into  future technology for computers is not wise... the hardware becomes obsolete the day after you buy it. The latest and greatest will always be available.... but someone who can live a few days before the latest and greatest is going to going to save some serious bucks. Buying beyond what you need is foolish. Waiting until you have the need makes a lot more sense for almost any purchase. Suppose I bought a Flex 5000 because I was afraid I'd miss the boat, even if I wasn't interested in DSP? JUST TO BE READY???  Ready for what?  I'd be kicking my butt when the Fles 6xxx series was recently released If I had bought any of their earlier products JUST TO BE READY.  

As a writer/columnist I can be just as productive using a CP/M machine and Wordstar as I am today using the latest WP software.  No bragging rights.  The only issue is being able to work with file formats from other writers when editing.  But, after almost 30 years I've retired from those rat races.

Pete
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:35 AM »

W8JX believes in resisting change, and living ham radio as it was back in the 1960s.  He doesn't recognize the advantages offered by the new WARC bands,  and still honestly believes that 30 year old ham gear is still state of the art... Yet, YOU MUST have the latest hardware and software and software to be credible. The emperor has no clothes.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »

Yes, but buying into  future technology for computers is not wise... the hardware becomes obsolete the day after you buy it.

Do you know how silly this sounds? Like a old slow 10 year old laptop is better than a new one? Get real.  Sure it still advances but anything you get today will be viable for several years. Laptops are far more power efficent and run much cooler and longer on a charge while being more powerful than a top end desktop 2 or 3 years ago. Today focus is not so much on advancing computer CPU power as shrinking die further to lower cost more and use less power.

Very foolish to suggest it is better to hang on to old junk.

As far as comment of me living in 60's in shack I am not using xp and a SB 200 is a viable amp today because modern tube amp works same and microprocessor amps are less reliable, sound the same and cost many times more unlike modern computer hardware which is dirt cheap.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »

And you think you sound like a genius???  Spend, spend... you sound like a teenager who has to own the latest digital gadgets, yet as a ham you are living forty years in the past?  You don't think that DSP, or other technical advances in communications technology don't apply to ham radio?   Huh Huh Huh

I'm done arguing with you. You've been exposed, and can only present one sided arguments as a MS shill.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »

And you think you sound like a genius???  Spend, spend... you sound like a teenager who has to own the latest digital gadgets, yet as a ham you are living forty years in the past?  You don't think that DSP, or other technical advances in communications technology don't apply to ham radio?   Huh Huh Huh

I'm done arguing with you. You've been exposed, and can only present one sided arguments as a MS shill.

No you are closed minded. For you its a 4000+ dollar amp and old XP hardware and OS. Because I say a 400 buck 35 year old amp sounds same a one costing several thousand and new computer hardware and a MODERN OS is dirt cheap and way more capable I am closed minded? Get real.  My scenario is far more cost effective and keeps up with computer technology and sound same on air. 

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 06:54:53 AM »

>still honestly believes that 30 year old ham gear is still state of the art<

Depends on how you define  'state of the art'. I have a 30 year old transceiver: it has phase noise performance up there with the best of them - and better than many modern transceivers. The receiver sensitivity and IMD performance are better than I can use in a QTH that is certainly quiet enough to meet the ITU Recommendation definition of 'rural', if not 'quiet rural', while the transmitter high order IMD is better than most rigs on the market today - because it uses 6146Bs. The home brew remote antenna switching includes some SN7406 devices with 1969 date codes - and works.

Too many people (especially in management) are confused into thinking that 'change' means 'progress'........
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »

Peter, your last line sums it up.

I have radios going back to the 30s and 40s. Including a lot of vintage ham gear. If the equipment does what one needs, then it serves its purpose. I penned a vintage restoration column for almost 20 years on a monthly basis.

Most of test gear in my shop is HP stuff dating from the 60s and 70s, SA's, NA's, counters, etc. Mix in some vintage Boonton and other stuff. These also get the job done.

I find the same holds true for  computer needs. If the computer does the job one needs performed, there is no logic in spending a fortune on new hardware, software and peripherals (scanners, printers, etc.) just to stroke an ego and to have bragging rights on eHam while looking down on others.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »

But for those who are constantly considering what they MIGHT want to do, buying into the future is profitable and wise.

I feel this is true when buying items like a computer.  With computers, there are almost daily new programs, applications and peripherals that not only makes computing more enjoyable, convenient and also more profitable. Service costs for the newer model/OS computers remain fairly steady. 

When it comes to ham gear this becomes more complicated.  Newer transceivers have become so sophisticated, compact and difficult to work on that we are now at the point where being able to afford one is one thing, but being able to afford to have one repaired is a whole new facet to consider.  That's assuming you can find someone who is qualified to work on them.

The same thing is going on with linear amplifiers.  They have become so sophisticated that the average ham simply cannot work on them.  With the transition to solid state this problem becomes even worse.

I have read many accounts of hams needing to send their big buck Alphas back to the factory for repair and finding the shipping costs well over $100.00, perhaps each way, and then Alpha charging upwards of $1500 to repair them!

I was fortunate to be able to drive a Lincoln Town Car for many years.  Buying one was one thing.  However, whenever it came time for repairs it caused my pucker-factor to jump to 10 because I knew that the cost of parts and labor was going to be a reflection of the size and quality of the car. Even though it used many of the same parts that a Ford used, at half the cost!

When it comes to computers I stay with whatever does the job for me because I KNOW what I need. For example I continue to use XP which  does the job and I have no expansion needs.  I use an SB-200 plus a homebrew amp because I can repair both at minimal costs and they do the job as well as an amp costing Kbucks.

There are arguments to support both opinions of JX and ZJH.  It all boils down to one thing.  Money.  If you have it, then buy the best.  If it doesn't do any better than something costing half the price you paid, what the hell?  Money is for spending, rather it be initial cost or repairs....not piling it up somewhere!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »

Peter, your last line sums it up.

I have radios going back to the 30s and 40s. Including a lot of vintage ham gear. If the equipment does what one needs, then it serves its purpose. I penned a vintage restoration column for almost 20 years on a monthly basis.

Most of test gear in my shop is HP stuff dating from the 60s and 70s, SA's, NA's, counters, etc. Mix in some vintage Boonton and other stuff. These also get the job done.

I find the same holds true for  computer needs. If the computer does the job one needs performed, there is no logic in spending a fortune on new hardware, software and peripherals (scanners, printers, etc.) just to stroke an ego and to have bragging rights on eHam while looking down on others.

Unlike radio gear computer technology is advancing at a tremendous rate. A 20 or 30 year old quality radio can still be viable on CW and SSB but a 10 year old PC cannot support latest app or media streaming with absolute easy and are only kept alive by defunct or non main stream OSes with sub standard performance. A modern smartphone has more processing power than a XP machine. I love using laptops and phones and tablets with excess processing power and a future path. In 20 years we went from DOS and Win 3x to 8x and tablets and smart phones. If you 2ant to hamstring yourself with a old PC rather than supporting modern standards have at it.  There is no comparison between old radio for which transmission standard have not really changed in 50 years and PC standards that have changed a lot in 10 years.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »

It also depends what you want the PC for. If it's just email, word processing and some minor web surfing, that's a different matter to wanting to run say, simulation programs. I don't do serious contesting and I don't bother keeping my log on the computer: there were some reasonable simulation programs in DOS but they won't run on this machine in Windows 8 (I think). As things like filters are so simple to calculate when you have the text books and a 28 year old HP41 that is still going strong, why bother?

Things are very different to when I was working......and in the last two years, paying 49% of every day's income in tax!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »

It also depends what you want the PC for. If it's just email, word processing and some minor web surfing, that's a different matter to wanting to run say, simulation programs. I don't do serious contesting and I don't bother keeping my log on the computer: there were some reasonable simulation programs in DOS but they won't run on this machine in Windows 8 (I think). As things like filters are so simple to calculate when you have the text books and a 28 year old HP41 that is still going strong, why bother?

Things are very different to when I was working......and in the last two years, paying 49% of every day's income in tax!

I understand what you are trying to say but my Win 8 laptops and tablet wake up from sleep/suspend in less than 2 seconds ready to roll and the laptops can go 5 to 7 hrs on a charge. Gone are the days on hot laptops.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »

The saying here is "Horses for courses".  My horses are good for my courses........and probably very few others. But they do what I want.....
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: