The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another European SW broadcaster bites the dust  (Read 11709 times)
WW7KE

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »

Radio Exterior de Espana is shutting down all shortwave operations, effective tomorrow.  I wonder if that also includes their transmitters being used as relays, such as for China Radio International on 9690?  They come in so much better than the Radio Havana relay on 9790 at the same time.

http://swling.com/blog/2014/09/radio-exterior-de-espana-to-abandon-shortwave-october-1st/

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »

China is still on 9690 at 0300, but in Chinese rather than their normal English service (9790 from Havana is CRI in English with their usual weak audio).

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:38:08 AM »

Two nights ago (Oct. 1st UTC) I heard Radio Exterior de España's Spanish service to America. And I have seen reports that their other SW transmissions are still on the air.

Maybe the cut-off was delayed.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »

They can't disappear off 40 meters fast enough. Cool
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »

Two nights ago (Oct. 1st UTC) I heard Radio Exterior de España's Spanish service to America. And I have seen reports that their other SW transmissions are still on the air.

I heard them the other night as well.  Maybe, like Mark Twain, reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. Grin

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »

I heard them the other night as well.  Maybe, like Mark Twain, reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. Grin

Their CRI relay (Chinese lately, but were in English until the first of this month), as well as the Spanish-language transmissions are off the air right now (Oct. 16, 0225 UTC).

W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 05:10:03 AM »

A sign of the changing times. Many of these international broadcasters are leaving the air. Radio Nacional de Espana was the first station I received a QSL card from as a 13 year old SWL, back in late 1970 or early 1971. That was when the SWBC power race was escalating. A big change from now. The electric bill to run one of these 250 or 500kW transmitters must be stupendous. And all to serve how many listeners?
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »

A sign of the changing times. Many of these international broadcasters are leaving the air. Radio Nacional de Espana was the first station I received a QSL card from as a 13 year old SWL, back in late 1970 or early 1971. That was when the SWBC power race was escalating. A big change from now. The electric bill to run one of these 250 or 500kW transmitters must be stupendous. And all to serve how many listeners?

Outside of Africa and Asia, where SWBC (I refuse to use the marketroid-babblephrase "World Band" Grin ) is still going strong, maybe a few tens of thousands tops.  And most of those are probably hams, not the general public. 

International broadcasting hasn't died -- it just moved to the interwebs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: