The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kenwood TS590SG, will it be any better?  (Read 109859 times)
KX2T

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:58 AM »

I just looked at the TS590 Yahoo forum and they are bringing out a new model of the 590S, its the 590SG, is this going to be a band aid or a newer RX improvement? Time will tell.
Jim
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »

its the 590SG, is this going to be a band aid or a newer RX improvement? Time will tell.
Jim

What kind of band aid does the TS-590s need? Kenwood already gives the ALC fix FREE to all owners.

As far as improvement, do you actually think Kenwood would make a already competent Radio worse?
I don't think so.

In addition to the new model Kenwood will be updating firmware in the TS-590s so present owners will gain some of the new features.

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts_590/ts590v2_e.html

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:20:27 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »

I have no idea what they did, on the press note they said they increased the DR of the RX and a few mods to the dsp but that sounds like firmware but one thing is for sure there dumping out the TS590S st dealer for right around $1250 so something gives. We will only know if they even changed the RX section if someone runs it threw a lab test.
Jim
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »

I am sure there has been some circuit tweaks. 15 years ago Kenwood had 570D that was replaced a year later by 570DG which had tweaked DSP and firmware.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KF4O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »

Here is the link:

http://www.jvckenwood.co.jp/en/press/2014/10/press_141002.pdf

Randy, KF4O
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »

I wonder if they have removed the nasty BC-Traps that rather spoils the 11 and 15 MHz Broadcast band sensitivity, or, depending on factory (mal)adjustment, the 12 and 16 MHz Maritime bands, as in my case..?  Shocked

See the Service Manual, if you haven't spotted these yet!

I was extremely miffed to find these traps in place, but I managed to remove them.

For me, what happens outside the ham bands is at least as important as Inside..
Broadcast and Utility DX'ing is still alive, allthough some of it sounds like a grinder..   Grin

Its not too difficult to design a radio with great large signal handling, when all you do is attenuate the strongest signals! My old IC-R70 never needed that..  Grin

So much for "General Coverage"..

Does anybody know if Icom, Yaesu or Elecraft currently uses such cheap tricks?

I doubt if my next rig will be a Kenwood..
K5JD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts_590/ts590v2_e.html
Evidently, Kenwood has announced a firmware update to give existing TS 590 owners some of the same upgrades as in the newly announce TS 590SG.

Advance Information “TS-590S Ver.2 firmware update” will be released at the end of January 2015. October 2, 2014

View on www.kenwood.com

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »

Broadcast and Utility DX'ing is still alive, allthough some of it sounds like a grinder..   Grin

Broadcast SWL is pretty dead unless you are Religious.  Cheesy Cheesy

The days of HF SWLing is pretty much a thing of the past - unfortunately.

I doubt many radio manufacturers think about SWLs any more. I am just happy they still make ham band gear.

Stan K9IUQ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 04:48:06 AM »

I wonder if they have removed the nasty BC-Traps that rather spoils the 11 and 15 MHz Broadcast band sensitivity, or, depending on factory (mal)adjustment, the 12 and 16 MHz Maritime bands, as in my case..?  Shocked

See the Service Manual, if you haven't spotted these yet!

I was extremely miffed to find these traps in place, but I managed to remove them.

Its not too difficult to design a radio with great large signal handling, when all you do is attenuate the strongest signals! My old IC-R70 never needed that..  Grin

So much for "General Coverage"..

Does anybody know if Icom, Yaesu or Elecraft currently uses such cheap tricks?

I doubt if my next rig will be a Kenwood..

I really don't think you can criticize Kenwood for being concerned about performance within the Ham bands as opposed to making the TS-590 the perfect general coverage receiver.  Most SWLers purchase other receivers that are more suited to SWL than Ham transcievers.  Some Ham transcievers do well when pressed into SWL duty, but many do not have the ability to set the receive filters wide enough - like 10k or 15k.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 05:01:08 AM »

If I was still really interested in doing SWLing I would get a SDR. Like my QS1R. It really sounds good on AM.

Also I have lots of Vintage equipment, probably 20 or so tubed SW Receivers, from Transoceanics to Hammarlunds. SWL sounds good on these old tubed RX's also. They would be a much better solution for SWL compared to a Ham Transceiver.

Stan K9IUQ
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »

The TS-590SG might be ripe for the picking and then selling my TS-570SG  Cheesy Smiley Cool
Use the TS-570SG as dedicated back-up and RTTY contesting rig.

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »

The best information on the hardware differences between the TS-590S and TS-590SG is on Nevada's website in the UK.  I don't believe I can attach a PDF to a post here, but just do a search for the following in Google (BTW, Nevada is a large dealer in the UK):

TS-590S_NPRI_latest

Click on the Nevada link, and the PDF outlines the hardware differences.  IMO, the most significant update with the upcoming TS-590SG is a hardware redesign of the 1st LO, which reduces phase noise/composite transmitter noise, and improves 2kHz spacing 3rd order dynamic range. From a Kenwood release: "revised the circuitry around 1st Mixer which improves C/N characteristic of 1st LO." This should be interesting, as this was the point of contention and major complaint from those in other camps (E and T) who panned the 590S as being somewhat of a broadband transmit noise generator in field day or multi-multi operations.

Evidently, they are using a different, or dedicated, display board CPU, as the new 590SG will display CW on the LCD screen.  I wish them luck with that, as I've really not seen a decent algorithm yet that can handle all fists on CW.

According to the Kenwood Japan website, the TS-590SG MSRP, converting from Yen to $, is going to be $2K, but who knows what the street price will be. The typical amateur manufacturer to dealer margin, without any quantity or special purchase discounts, etc., is 25%. We will just have to wait to see what the street price will be, but I imagine it may be higher than the original 590S price point.

Don W9CW
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »

I don't believe I can attach a PDF to a post here, but just do a search for the following in Google (BTW, Nevada is a large dealer in the UK):

TS-590S_NPRI_latest

Here's the LINK noted above...
http://static1.nevadaradio.co.uk/downloads/kenwood/TS-590SG_NPRI_latest.pdf

NevadaRadio is at...
http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:54:29 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »

The best information on the hardware differences between the TS-590S and TS-590SG is on Nevada's website in the UK.  I don't believe I can attach a PDF to a post here, but just do a search for the following in Google (BTW, Nevada is a large dealer in the UK):

TS-590S_NPRI_latest

Click on the Nevada link, and the PDF outlines the hardware differences.  IMO, the most significant update with the upcoming TS-590SG is a hardware redesign of the 1st LO, which reduces phase noise/composite transmitter noise, and improves 2kHz spacing 3rd order dynamic range. From a Kenwood release: "revised the circuitry around 1st Mixer which improves C/N characteristic of 1st LO." This should be interesting, as this was the point of contention and major complaint from those in other camps (E and T) who panned the 590S as being somewhat of a broadband transmit noise generator in field day or multi-multi operations.

Evidently, they are using a different, or dedicated, display board CPU, as the new 590SG will display CW on the LCD screen.  I wish them luck with that, as I've really not seen a decent algorithm yet that can handle all fists on CW.

According to the Kenwood Japan website, the TS-590SG MSRP, converting from Yen to $, is going to be $2K, but who knows what the street price will be. The typical amateur manufacturer to dealer margin, without any quantity or special purchase discounts, etc., is 25%. We will just have to wait to see what the street price will be, but I imagine it may be higher than the original 590S price point.

Don W9CW

I have little doubt that Kenwood will have a incentive for it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »

If I was still really interested in doing SWLing I would get a SDR. Like my QS1R. It really sounds good on AM.

Also I have lots of Vintage equipment, probably 20 or so tubed SW Receivers, from Transoceanics to Hammarlunds. SWL sounds good on these old tubed RX's also. They would be a much better solution for SWL compared to a Ham Transceiver.

Stan K9IUQ

Myself as well.  Unfortunately, there is less and less to listen to on the SW bands with each passing year... and legions of former SWLs are becoming SKs.  Hence the loss of Monitoring Times and Popular Communications.  I have a very large collection of vintage tombstone radios from the 30s... and a good collection of vintage ham AM gear.  I'll enjoy using them as long as I can.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: