The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kenwood TS590SG, will it be any better?  (Read 109904 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2014, 04:12:19 AM »

Well Stan another post I totally agree with.
If more hams had test gear and tried to run these tests themselves they would realize that most of these numbers are already in a zone of total irrelevance for real world use.  Take a 100 so called expert ham radio operators and give them a blind test with the top 20 on that list and I bet they would have picks that are all over the chart.  When I ran some tests on my radios, just moving the cables a few inches made the reading change by several db and using different brands of cables produced different results, and since my calibration was not recent I could not trust the numbers anyway.  That's one of my peeves with Sherwoods numbers, he has no calibration data posted for the equipment he is using, at least none I can find.

Also how do you measure how it sounds to human ear? How it sounds to each persons perception of it is something very hard to quantify.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:59 AM »

Hi

Everybody found the TS590S a dream in CW.
I find the TS590S NR in CW bad and it is a noisy rig in CW.
The IF DSp filters ring.
Something that I never had with the audio DSp in my FT920 and FT857D.

But the noise reduction of the TS590S is great in SSB.
A bit stupid because noise reduction is much more often used in CW as in SSB.

But for the money the TS590S reciever has great big signal handeling.
It has a few nasty flaws, but overall for its money it is a nice rig, certainly now the power spikes problem has been solved free on my TS590S.
I hope for all new users of the TS590SG it will be even better as the TS590S and that the few nasty things in the TS590S have been solved or improved in the SG version.

the most nasty points for me in the TS590S are:
1 the bad AGC handeling in RX with static.
2 Bad Noise reduction in CW RX and ringing of the CW filters when put in narrow.
I always use the audio DSP in the FT857D in both bandwith 60Hz or 120Hz and full throttle with the Noise reduction in the FT857D.
The FT857D is so much more narrow and silent in compare with the TS590S, so that point could use a big improvement.

3 Bad ALC in TX , the rig put out very little talk power to hide the very lousy ALC circuitry and the powerspike problem, the spike problem has been solved free of charge by Kenwood, but it still laks talk power in compare with the FT920 or FT857D, but I must say by the agressive ALC the transmit signal in SSB of the TS590 is way cleaner and better and more narrow as in bith the Yaesu's.
I find it a bit pitty I can not over run the ALC in the TS590 to get a realy bad wide signal in SSB TX to let my stupid contesting overmodulated and as wide as a barndoor 59 001 aigain your call please idiots hear that the frequency already was in use by someone else.

But also it is fine that the contesters using the TS590 will not be able to make the rig as wide as well, or they at least have to go in the factory menu to f**k up the bandwith of the SSB signal.

If Kenwood improves the AGC in RX with static and improves the realy realy poor and bad IF DSP noise reduction and ringing performance of CW the CW RX, this rig would be unbeatable for its money.
The CW filter is not very usable below 400 Hz because the ringing and RX audio gets very nasty at settings below 400 Hz, as with the FT857D I just always have the audio DSP bandwith set to 120Hz or even 60Hz and the noise reduction to 16 at full.
It makes this little cheap rig a dream to listen to in CW.
It has a great reciever concept and it is overal with ease the best your money can buy fot that price.

73 Jos     
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »

I would say no if you just rag chew like me. I asked the same question to owners of the Icom Pro II and Pro III folks, all of them said not a lot of difference it just cost more is all.

Ask a person who digs QSO out of the mud and you may get a very different answer.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: