The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake 2-NT, DDS VFO Connects -  (Read 5636 times)
KD6RGZ

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »

@Crystal Socket?  Could it be that simple?

Father recently passed( W5HMV) left me Two Drake Novice Transmitters.  Thought I would Re-Cap the best one, and add a DDS VFO.  I was looking into such, and saw a reference that said the "hidden cable" just hooked to the back side of the Crystal sockets.  Do I not have to disconnect/disable the wiring and components ancillary to making the original Crystal resonate?

[EDIT] So I went looking at a Schematic I found On-line, and I see a (jack, or switch) symbol that is annotated VFO / Key...looks like my question may be answered already.  The Transmitters are not yet here from the Estate, so I am just trying to understand as much as I can while waiting for them to arrive.

I am really trying to not be "just an appliance operator"...

Many Years ago, (like 45 or so) I built many kits, by Heath, Scott,  Eico and Dynaco...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:08:16 AM by KD6RGZ » Logged
W0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »

The RCA jack on the back is to key the VFO, not for frequency injection.
Even when using a VFO with the 2-NT the crystal socket on the front is used. Hopefully your DDS has enough output to drive the 2-NT, the requirement for that is in the manual.
I have two 2-NT's and use the heck out of them.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »

I have seen a few Drake 2-NT
where a shielded cable was wired parallel to crystal socket and
then routed to the rear of 2-NT cabinet for connection to an external VFO.
W0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »

I have seen a few Drake 2-NT
where a shielded cable was wired parallel to crystal socket and
then routed to the rear of 2-NT cabinet for connection to an external VFO.

I've thought about doing that too. Perhaps that is the hidden cable. Easy to see once the cover is removed. The 2-NT is a fine CW transmitter.
KD6RGZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »

I had been feeling bad about exposing my lack of knowledge.  Thanks for your kind and informative answers!

I have been looking over the schematic that is purportedly from the Owner's Manual, and have generated a few more questions.  Maybe You or others might be able to offer this Old Salt some help.

The only Capacitors NOT labelled with values were the Three in the TVI Filter - is it considered a bad thing to remove/abandon TVI filters now that there are no analog TVs?  Further, would removal detune the Output to Transmit Antenna? Maybe the Values can be read from the components, when the Radios arrive here. Would this modification reduce the collector value (if any!)

Next, how does one determine the proper Plate (Coupling?) Capacitor value for the Power Amplifier tube?  There are footnotes for values stated for Two Mfgr's, but not for RCA version...

Thanks again for Your kindnesses.
W0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:50:34 PM »

No real reason to remove the caps on the TVI filter board, I doubt if they are bad.
The other cap is used to neutralize the final tube, the RCA tube should be very close in specs to a GE tube, W9GB might have more info on that than me.
If it was mine I would just put it on the air and see how it does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: