The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-718, can't connect using fldigi  (Read 12337 times)
KJ7WT

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »

As an experiment, I installed Mint Linux 16 on my W7 laptop, just to see if I liked it. No problems there, but I'm at the "tearing hair out" point with radio control software.
I built an interface that connects to my IC-718 (basic serial level converter) and it works flawlessly with HRD 5.24 and Windows 7, using the "hard" serial port on the laptop. However - I cannot get either fldigi (or HRD running under WINE) to talk to my radio, despite trying all kinds of different settings. I also plugged in an FTDI USB-serial cable, which Linux recognizes, and which shows up in the available serial ports under fldigi (and running HRD in WINE), but still no connection.
The interface uses DTR to power it, and RTS as PTT.
I am stumped here, and I need some suggestions as to what to check or try.
KJ7WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »

UPDATE:
I installed fldigi in W7, as a sanity check. After some fiddling, I was able to get the application to "talk" to the IC-718 as far as frequency, but so far, no TX keying, despite setting up just li8ke I do in DM780. However - still no good running under Linux. I also noticed that fldigi is worse than DM780 at decoding PSK31, especially with noise present. I get much more garbling when using fldigi -same hardware/soundcard, etc.
Still hoping someone can help me figure out why rig control is such a PITA with fldigi.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »

UPDATE:
I installed fldigi in W7, as a sanity check. After some fiddling, I was able to get the application to "talk" to the IC-718 as far as frequency, but so far, no TX keying, despite setting up just li8ke I do in DM780. However - still no good running under Linux. I also noticed that fldigi is worse than DM780 at decoding PSK31, especially with noise present. I get much more garbling when using fldigi -same hardware/soundcard, etc.
Still hoping someone can help me figure out why rig control is such a PITA with fldigi.

I am not using your interface, so I really can't tell you what settings to use.

It is quite possible you do not have your PTT set up correctly for your interface. I am using a CI-V/USB CAT cable for rig control and USB SignaLink for my sound interface. PTT is handled by the SignaLink. IIRC, I didn't have to setup anything for PTT. I put in the appropriate values for the USB sound devices. For CAT control, I DLed the 718.xml file for Rigcat control, and use the builtin 718(beta) for Hamlib. At the moment I'm using Hamlib. I'm using Opensuse 13.1.

Using the CI-V cable, and a SignaLink, setting up and using fldigi was very easy for me.

Rick KK4GGL
KJ7WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »

Rick,
Thanks for writing about your experience. My interface is a fairly simple RS-232-to-TTL level interface, using a circuit found here: http://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/civ.html
Since I know it works under windows, I'm sure the hardware is good, but it seems that in Linux, the RTS line is not being active, and I'm not enough of  Linux geek to know how to fix that. Just have to keep plugging, I suppose!
KJ7WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

Well, I finally got the settings correct to be able to read frequency and key the rig. It is painfully slow reading frequency, though.
What I'd really like to do is figure out how to get HRD to "see" the serial ports when running under WINE, but so far, that is not happening, either. I wonder if HRD will ever be native Linux?
I know some will say, "Why not just run Windows?" Good question - I suppose part of it is just wanting do something different.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:48:56 AM »

Well, I finally got the settings correct to be able to read frequency and key the rig. It is painfully slow reading frequency, though.
What I'd really like to do is figure out how to get HRD to "see" the serial ports when running under WINE, but so far, that is not happening, either. I wonder if HRD will ever be native Linux?
I know some will say, "Why not just run Windows?" Good question - I suppose part of it is just wanting do something different.

I'm glad you got the system working, more or less. Can you post a picture(s) of your fldigi hardware setup panels. I'd like to compare them with mine. Of course, it may not produce positive results since I am using SignaLinks for my interface.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: