The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newest U.S. shortwave broadcaster kicks off this evening.  (Read 106122 times)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

Welcome Global 24 out of Florida:
  http://about.global24radio.com/for-immediate-release-shortwaves-newest-broadcaster-global-24-takes-to-the-air-at-700-pm-eastern-on-october-31-on-9395-
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

I'm listening. Fingers crossed.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

Audible but fairly weak with QSB in Phoenix on a Grundig Satellit 750 connected to an indoor 15 foot vertical with a loading coil and a couple of radials.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »

Global 24's main benefactors seem to be companies that manufacture HF gear, such as Kaito (Degen) and Alinco. Look on their corporate sponsors page. Maybe Global 24 is an effort to sell more SW radios in the English speaking world, like the way color TV makers sponsored the TV show Bonanza in the 60s in an effort to sell people on color TV so there would be color shows to watch and thus boost sales of color TVs, which were seen in 1959 as pointless toys.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:12:20 AM »

Anyone know about Global 24's equipment, power and antennas? I haven't found a thing about that other than: "We broadcast from WRMI in Okeechobee, Florida."

Their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/global24radio
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

"Global 24 Worldwide" [no formal call letters heard] is coming into St Louis right now at S8 to S9+5 db compared with band noise of around S7. Moderate QSB. DJ just gave his name as "Raoul" as he ID'd at 1500z (10AM local). Station IDs about every 15 minutes. Playing soft rock that DJ describes as "classic rock with a twist." Audio quality is excellent and station is precisely on 9395.000 according to my Flex-5000. No commercials so far. Channel is crystal clear of interference now. My antenna is a 43' vertical.

"Veteran Broadcaster Raoul Van Hall Joins Global 24 Lineup

(Hollywood, FL) October 30, 2014 – Global 24 News announced today that host Raoul van Hall has joined the Global 24 team to captain two great new programs.
 Born and raised in Amsterdam, Raoul van Hall is a forty-year veteran broadcaster. During that time, Raoul has been a Program Director, Operations Manager and Air Talent at dozens of radio stations. Raoul also hosts jazz and classic rock shows in China, Oman, Bahrain, Singapore, Taiwan and in Japan.
“Broadcasting on shortwave radio, has been a life long dream of mine.” “I’m VERY excited about this opportunity to become a part of a truly unique, worldwide broadcasting service, Global 24!” says Raoul.
 Raoul will be hosting two shows on Global 24:
 Jazz From the Left is a program that celebrates America’s unique cultural export…jazz. Focusing on the cool and West Coast jazz sounds, artists featured include: Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Art Pepper, the Modern Jazz Quartet, Vince Guaraldi, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Red Garland and Miles Davis. The mix is not too heavy and not too light. Just right for cooling out with some great jazz.
 The Rockpile is a classic rock show with a twist. Here you’ll hear all of your classic rock favourites, plus
 rare alternate takes and remixes that you won’t find anywhere else. You’ll hear The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Doors, BTO, the Rolling Stones and many others. PLus some of the rare lesser known groups of the era. Occasionally, you’ll hear audios from the era, that provide context for the music you’ll hear.
 Global 24, launching on October 31, 2014, is bringing general interest news and entertainment into sharper focus for listeners looking for high quality programming on a daily basis on shortwave radio. Regular listeners will be informed, entertained and engaged in an ever more complex world. – See more at: http://about.global24radio.com/

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »

Anyone know about Global 24's equipment, power and antennas? I haven't found a thing about that other than: "We broadcast from WRMI in Okeechobee, Florida."

Their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/global24radio

They are using the old WYFR Family Radio site. My understanding is that the Okeechobee site has 11 antennas. Dunno about what transmitters they're using.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »

The Global 24 station has been playing in the background here all day... a tedious mish mash with an hour at noon local devoted to the 1960s speeches of Martin Luther King (Radio Havana type stuff), some rebroadcasts from Radio New Zealand and commentary from Slovokia about governmental corruption. Right now, at our sunset, there's a Canadian talk show droning on about winter car maintenance.

Here's one recent description of the facility.
"WYFR/WRMI is the largest shortwave station in the United States in number of transmitters and antennas. The facility is comprised of 13 transmitters twelve 100kilowatt and one 50kilowatt and 23 antennas beamed to all of the Americas, Europe and Africa."  

Global 24 disappeared into the noise around noon here. However now, at sunset, the audio is quite listenable with signals hovering around 15 dB over nine, peaking to 20 dB over.

No music since this morning and no religion.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:46:33 PM by K0OD » Logged
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »

It's better tonight, but still much worse than CRI via Havana on 9790, only a couple hundred miles or so south, and only about 4 dB (250 vs 100 kw) more power and a 10 degree difference in directivity.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »

but still much worse than CRI via Havana on 9790, only a couple hundred miles or so south, and only about 4 dB (250 vs 100 kw) more power and a 10 degree difference in directivity.

Interesting point. CRI is MUCH louder. About 17 dB at my location. 
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

but still much worse than CRI via Havana on 9790, only a couple hundred miles or so south, and only about 4 dB (250 vs 100 kw) more power and a 10 degree difference in directivity.

Interesting point. CRI is MUCH louder. About 17 dB at my location. 

And before it was shut down last month, the CRI relay in Spain on 9690 came in better, and with better audio, than the one in Cuba -- at least here in AZ.

VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »

Heard them last night around 0900 G.M.T. with Classical Piano music, an I.D. and into a relay of K.B.S. Seoul in English.  They were weak, but clear with some QRN from summer-time storms here.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »

Tough copy at my location.

It seems that even with S8 to  S9+ signals, the audio is just not beefy enough. Global24 just isn't one of the loudest stations on the dial. Similar strength signals up and down the same band literally jump out of the background while G24 is barely audible.

I'm curious as to what sort of audio processing is in place. The station might well take a cue from some other international broadcasters, for example, RNZI, and pump up the average volume.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:13:10 PM by K5TED » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 02:48:23 AM »

I noticed something extraordinary about them this evening (I don't recall the time). Their signals were moderate and the band noise was a bit high. A female announcer was interviewing another woman. The announcer had a good voice for radio and I could hear almost everything she said. But the other woman was impossible to understand even though she spoke good English with proper enunciation. Her voice, while pleasant, was utterly lacking in punch yet it didn't seem low in volume.

It occurred to me that the "interview" may have been staged by interweaving two recordings made at different times with different audio equipment.  I understood 98% of what the announcer said, but only occasional words from the interviewee.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »

I have a couple decent digital portables, and an indoor wire -- and have no problem hearing WRMI, but this new station just has not been coming in here in the NW US. Any time I've tuned to 9395 (usually during hours other stations on 31 meters are audible), I've heard nothing but static.

I hope they can somehow tweak their equipment and make it a bit more audible over NW North America.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: