The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newest U.S. shortwave broadcaster kicks off this evening.  (Read 106170 times)
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2014, 06:07:46 AM »

5-9 +  at  1305 UTC in Minnesota.  TS450D with Outbacker Vertical.  Same same  with Icom R75 and vertical.
W9ALD

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »

Is it the transmitter or band conditions?  Two days a they were very strong here and last night nonexistent.  Could not even pull them out with the synchronous detector.  Yet Habana was very strong on 6 Megs.

Bill

The mere presence of a signal is more important than it's magnitude.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »

Is it the transmitter or band conditions?  Two days a they were very strong here and last night nonexistent.  Could not even pull them out with the synchronous detector.  Yet Habana was very strong on 6 Megs.

Bill

MUF last night was around 7.5 Mhz. It's been a while since I've seen such a low MUF. Usually MUF is around 16 Mhz at night.
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 06:39:19 AM »

I joined the "Free" listener club awhile back.  Now I am getting e-mails asking(practically begging) me to join the $49.95 listener club.  When will I learn?  I'm jumping ship on this outfit.
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »

......."No music since this morning and no religion"

Thank God!   
KC5MO

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »

Great programming and I enjoy listening when I can, but the signal isn't great. I was hoping for 5/9+ being in North America but in reality I am averaging 2/3 to  4/5 here in Central Texas. For some reason. On occasion I will be listening and the station seem to drop power to exciter power for an extended period of time then it's back. Wonder if they have transmitter issues.

I get Spanish music that will override them from time to time and there's no listing for any other stations on 9395 kc.  Anyone else hearing that?
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 03:52:59 AM »

5-9 +  at  1305 UTC in Minnesota.  TS450D with Outbacker Vertical.  Same same  with Icom R75 and vertical.
Pounding in again at 2215 utc on my Grundig 300 pocket receiver.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »

Their signal is abysmal her in Norcal, no matter what time of day. Like now at 2248utc, i get no signal at all. I suspect they're not pointing power west. Anyone know of their pattern?
I called WWCR last month, by the way, and spoke to the guy there because I barely get their signal on 12160kHz in the daytime, mainly due to the adjacent OTHRs stepping all over them. He said he'd relay this to the engineers, and that "it's been years since there's been any feedback from the west coast"
From the next week till now, their signal is better. Thanks WWCR, I think you listen to us out here.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »

The antenna pattern is here:
 http://about.global24radio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/global24map.jpg
 Mostly E-W.

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »

Thanks! How'd you obtain it? Do you have a link? That was very telling-wouldn't they be better off being omnidirectional considering they're in Fla.?

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2015, 05:13:51 AM »

Actually, if that map is correct, the white area represents field strengths greater than 45 DBvu, and the orange, pink, yellow, and other colored areas on the map are lower signal strengths, so most of their signal appears to be aimed north-northwest.

Even so, the few times lately I've tuned into the SW bands I have only heard them readably once, that was with a signal strength of S2-S3 on my portable. 

Earlier this evening I tuned into the SW for the first time in a while and I heard nothing on the 31 meter band -- obviously, no Global 24, either....
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

Yep, for the umpteenth time it's beaming north, although that's not always obvious
from the signal. 
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »

Effective today, Global 24 is gone -- reports say they are out of money and can no longer pay WRMI.  Whether this is permanent, I have no idea, but they are off of shortwave at this moment but supposedly remain as an online broadcaster.  

WRMI is airing religious programming on 9395 now.

Here's one of those reports:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWI7Mfz9sd4

Another report:  http://bclnews.blogspot.com/2015/03/some-changes-of-wrmi-okeechobee.html

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:30:52 PM by WW7KE » Logged

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »

My post from early November:

"Heard my first two commercials an hour or so ago... for Universal Radio and something called Connector Zone.

These stations HAVE to be fronts for something. Acres of Florida land (perhaps only swampland) and many 100 KW transmitters with tall antennas in every direction.

Can anyone here think of a scenario where this station could ever turn a worthwhile profit?
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 07:45:23 AM »

My post from early November:

"Heard my first two commercials an hour or so ago... for Universal Radio and something called Connector Zone.

These stations HAVE to be fronts for something. Acres of Florida land (perhaps only swampland) and many 100 KW transmitters with tall antennas in every direction.

Can anyone here think of a scenario where this station could ever turn a worthwhile profit?

As long as WRMI was paid, they didn't care.  They own 9395, not Global 24 or any other station that buys time. 

But a secular, commercial, English-language shortwave station is about as risky a venture as it gets in broadcasting.  With almost no listeners outside of a few thousand hobbyists, no major advertiser will touch it.  And with no or few advertisers, donations, or a sugar daddy that wants to run it as an expensive hobby, it won't be around long.  And it wasn't.

And, even if it had been successful, if it only had US advertisers, wouldn't that have run afoul with the FCC?  They still have their long-standing policy of prohibiting shortwave broadcasting that targets American audiences, AFAIK.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: