The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The PC is dying and MS knows it.  (Read 43463 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »

Microsoft built a fortune and empire off PC but they know it is dying and they will die with it if they do not change. Windows 10 with free Office app for mobiles with Dropbox linking to desktop is attempt to prolong life of PC. Some of you will argue that corporate world will use them for many more years but they are a very small market that will shrink. 99% of the time there is nothing done on a corporate PC that could not be done with a Tablet and a keyboard/docking station and be far greener doing it too. Some might argue that the power saving of 75 to 90% possible with a tablet is not much by multiply it by thousands and tens of thousands of dollars a year can be saved on energy and not to mention how easy it is to swap out or replace one. It is not just my opinion. In investor  world they know if MS does not change with times they are DOA. Win 8 was their first step to tablet and smartphone world, 10 is to try to breathe more life into PC world and still support new world. Next version of Office will be designed for tablet first and desktop second and will not work on 7 and older because it has no place in new tech world. Sure 8 had a few issues that 8.1 mostly fixed and public fear of something different but it is the first of many steps for MS who for over 30 years wrote code for keyboards and later mice too to transition to touch screen world but if they do not they will fade away.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:14:16 AM »

Free Microsoft Office editing available on iOS, Android:
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/113701-microsoft-office-free-for-ipad-android-tablets.html

Microsoft announced Thursday it was making its Office software suite available for free - to users of rival mobile operating systems from both Apple and Google.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »

Microsoft built a fortune and empire off PC but they know it is dying and they will die with it if they do not change. Windows 10 with free Office app for mobiles with Dropbox linking to desktop is attempt to prolong life of PC. Some of you will argue that corporate world will use them for many more years but they are a very small market that will shrink. 99% of the time there is nothing done on a corporate PC that could not be done with a Tablet and a keyboard/docking station and be far greener doing it too. Some might argue that the power saving of 75 to 90% possible with a tablet is not much by multiply it by thousands and tens of thousands of dollars a year can be saved on energy and not to mention how easy it is to swap out or replace one. It is not just my opinion. In investor  world they know if MS does not change with times they are DOA. Win 8 was their first step to tablet and smartphone world, 10 is to try to breathe more life into PC world and still support new world. Next version of Office will be designed for tablet first and desktop second and will not work on 7 and older because it has no place in new tech world. Sure 8 had a few issues that 8.1 mostly fixed and public fear of something different but it is the first of many steps for MS who for over 30 years wrote code for keyboards and later mice too to transition to touch screen world but if they do not they will fade away.

I'm curious to hear why you think the corporate market will "shrink". Are we going back to subsistence agriculture or something?  Tongue

As long as people do more with their computers than simply read or buy stuff on Amazon, they'll be a market for external mice and keyboards. What those are connected to may change...and I'm not about to trade my dual 1920x1080 monitors to squint at a piece-of-paper sized screen.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »

John all you need is one experience or to read one article and then you think that it's the gospel.
I have no idea where you got this notion from, but the PC as you know it is not going away for decades to come.  I have been in numerous facilities that have hundreds of PC's running Windows 7 doing the Data Entry that keeps this planet running and there are hundreds of  thousands more data entry places all around the world entering information on every transaction you make, every order you place, every hotel or airline flight reservation you make  and none of them that I have ever seen are using a Tablet.   Tablets are Waaaaayyyy tooo Slow for true data entry and the screens are too small.  All of places I have been have ladies that are banging out stuff on a keyboard so fast it makes you blink a few times to see if its real.

Secondly server systems in almost all these companies are either use Linux or Microsoft server 2003 or 2008.  Most don't trust server systems newer than 2008.   I have even come across companies that still use NT for their servers because it was the last version that was not encumbered by a EULA. (so i am told)

As for the PC in the home, that is not going anywhere either.  People take pictures on their Phones, on their tablets and most of the time they transfer them to a PC to edit them or print them out.   While tablets are growing in number the reason PC sales are stagnant is that the PC has nothing new to offer.  If you own a 4 year old PC with win7 your good to go, there is no need to update and that is one of the big reason why PC sales have gone down.

I honestly cannot think of one house I have been in that does not have or still use a PC.

BTW the correct title of your thread should have been "Microsoft is Dying and they know it!"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:00:48 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »

As a 20 year computer tech and raised around computers... I have seen close up the changes and trends.
Once laptops became smaller and cheaper, they claimed laptops would replace desktops.
Once hard drives got more storage for cheap, they claimed desktops would shut out laptops.
As smart phones and tablet sales have expanded, they claimed they would replace desktops and laptops.

Yet as technology advances, desktop sales are not what they once were, but at the same time, all of the different device levels (desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones) continue to sell. Gamers and enthusiasts know you get the best performance, storage space capability, and replaceable parts in a desktop. People understand a laptop has more speed and storage in a portable package than a tablet. So rather than dying off, more people have at least one of each. Typically home desktop for storage and backups, laptops for speed and temporary storage, and tablets and smart phones for every day browsing and use. Again, this is home users, not business/commercial use.

de K4ISR
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »

As usual, the originator of the thread has little or no idea of the subject he is posting about. 

In short, more trolling from a very disturbed individual.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »

Yeah I can't wait until I'm writing and testing SQL triggers on an 8" tablet.... NOT

Appliance Operators...  Roll Eyes

ex W4HFK
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »

BTW the correct title of your thread should have been "Microsoft is Dying and they know it!"

I wouldn't mind this, but for some things - nobody else competes.

I've used OpenOffice and the like for word processing, but trying to use Calc or other open source Excel clones...eek.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »

Or maybe especially for W8JX: "Win 8.1 (Really Terrible) is dead and John Knows it."

Not that Win 8 was ever really alive, it has been on life support since day one.

I own a desktop, laptop, Android Tablet, Kindle, Ipad and a iPhone. I like them all and each has a certain tasks to provide. I run my complete Ham Station with various PC software. I have a SDR running HDSDR on one 32" monitor and a logger always running on another 32" monitor.

John and his partner Microsoft may think that a Tablet(s) is going to run my station. NOT. Of course a tablet, even one with Win 8.1 Really Terrible OS, could run W8JX's station. He has a simple setup. A dated TS-480 to a dilapidated Vertical with no radials. He Probably uses a dated paper ARRL log with a pencil. Yeah he could run his station with a MS Tablet..  Wink

Can I see myself watching my SDR on my android and Running  all my other Ham stuff on my iPad? Maybe in W8JX's dreams, but it ain't gonna happen in my Shack.  Wink Smiley

My PC ain't dying in my lifetime....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:26:40 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »

MS called and notified me that ham radio forum users represent an insignificant demographic and so won't really care.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »

Duh? We are insignificant.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 04:00:17 AM »

The PC isn't dying, Microsoft is trying to kill it so they can sell software for "surfaces".

Just about all electronics technology tends to want to kill off older tech. However, most new tech, when rolled out to the public, is so buggy everyone regrets getting it.

Let MickeySoft think the PC is dying. I'll use Linux...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:19:39 AM »

The PC isn't dying, Microsoft is trying to kill it so they can sell software for "surfaces".

Just about all electronics technology tends to want to kill off older tech. However, most new tech, when rolled out to the public, is so buggy everyone regrets getting it.

Let MickeySoft think the PC is dying. I'll use Linux...

You are indeed very naïve if you believe. My original post was based on a few articles by industry and market watchers. The desktop PC is dying as we move to a touch screen world. The market place knows that if MS cannot transition to a tablet/smart phone world they will be a has been. Anyone the believes otherwise is truly in a state of denial. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »

@ KM4FMK
+1

"The market place knows that if M$ cannot transition to a tablet/smart phone world they will be a has been."
- it's doubtful that they will ever get that irrelevant. ..

the desktop PC will survive any downfall in M$ Desktop sales
 - there will always be some sort of combination of the various O/Ss available. ..
both M$ and other O/Ss - in the Intel world.

WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 06:05:09 AM »

Desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets, and smartphones are platforms that address the needs of certain demographics as well as applications.  For years industry pundits and press forcasted the demise of the desktop when the laptop became practical and affordable. When the netbook craze took off about 6 years ago the same prognosis was made. I see fewer and fewer people using netbooks today. We've now have been told the same regarding mobile devices. Having been in the business for 25+ years as a product manager, technical marketing manager, executive and venture capital adviser I can confidently state that folks get caught up on the noise of new technology as opposed to understanding how and where it can be used.

For the most part, and there are some exceptions, advances in the commercialization of technology has been driven down from the corporate business environment to the public.  Why?  Because those are the buyers with the cash, the volume demand and the ability to articulate requirements to make technology commercially viable.  Not necessarily a smooth process, but again for the most part that's how it happens.  The advent of tablets and advanced smartphones may be exceptions.  However, I suspect the public in general has not found compelling need for these mobile devices beyond games, fun apps and browsing. Unlike their counterparts, the tablet market is beginning to plateau and in some cases (e.g., Apple) manufacturers are losing some market share. A couple of reasons are (a) individuals and families tend to keep their tablets for much longer than other devices and (b) tablets are primarily used for browsing and ebooks. The smartphone market too has witnessed some stagnation as the public has not been upgrading their smartphones as frequently as in the past (a recent exception may be the iPhone 6).  In the end, regardless of the device (tablet, smartphone, desktop, or laptop) hardware consumption and transition to a new hardware platform are going to be determined by what that platform can do and how easy it will be to use it for specific applications.

With all said, I cannot imagine the desktop is going to disappear. It will undoubtedly evolve as corporate and power users require particularly with regard to public and private clouds. But the desktop with its various peripherals including keyboards and mice will be around for a long time so people can get work done and done productively.

My $0.02
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: