The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7410 replacement ?  (Read 29673 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »

I had the MFJ-1026 before, and didn't has as much success as I do with the ANC-4. But you are correct, it is very important that the noise antenna hears the same as you regular receiving antenna. If it doesn't you cannot adjust the signals 180 degrees out of phase.

It even works somewhat with my beam, although not as pronounced, but not a big deal, as the noise is higher pronounced on the lower bands.

I also notice a drop in received signal but the noise drops as well. There are many cases where I couldn't hear an S-5 station on 40m due to the noise level, yet with the ANC-4 engaged, I hear them perfect copy.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »

I own a 7410 and find it a wonderful radio as rx and tx are concerned.. beside my pro3,they are equal.. the 7410 is a well built radio with a sturdy feel.. had mine for 2 yrs issue free.. seems to me,some people judge before using a radio for a while.. the 7410 is well worth the time and money....
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »

I own a 7410 and find it a wonderful radio as rx and tx are concerned.. beside my pro3,they are equal.. the 7410 is a well built radio with a sturdy feel.. had mine for 2 yrs issue free.. seems to me,some people judge before using a radio for a while.. the 7410 is well worth the time and money....

I'm with you. I have a 7410. There is nothing wrong with the the RX and TX. It's been to Field Day 3 times as a CW station and usually makes as many QSO's as all the other stations put together. All the filtering you need is menu driven. You don't "need" the optional roofing filters. I also use it as my digital rig and have worked the world on RTTY and PSK.
K2DFC
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »

I sure appreciate the info from folks who actually own and operate the equipment they are giving their opinion on. For me, it holds more water than statistics . Whether it is transceivers or noise eliminators, it's valuable input.
 Thank you, Max Smiley
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »

To VE3TMT;  I found what I think will work well for my noise antenna . I have a 22' Ultimax that I can add another 20' to and mount it in the attic . The proximity of it to the 2 band LNR EF is close enough to allow picking up the same signals and qrn/qrm that the main antenna does. Now I'll save my nickels and dimes for the ANC-4  . Thanks so much for your help everyone.
  73  Max   WD8DKB

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »

I'm with you. I have a 7410. There is nothing wrong with the the RX and TX. It's been to Field Day 3 times as a CW station and usually makes as many QSO's as all the other stations put together. All the filtering you need is menu driven. You don't "need" the optional roofing filters. I also use it as my digital rig and have worked the world on RTTY and PSK.
K2DFC

While I am not a big Icom fan I have used a 7410 a few times and I consider it a good rig.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »

I, also have the IC-7410 and love it Smiley.   Use it for digital modes (PSK & Olivia) and find nothing wrong with it for rx & tx.

I'm in complete agreement with comments by W8JX, VE7REN & K2DFC.

Ken KC8Y
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 07:19:22 AM »

I have a 9100 and can report that using it on HF is very underwhelming.  Doing a receive A/B comparison with the 7700 is pretty eye-opening.  Lots of issues, but the biggest is the noise floor in the 9100 (7410).  It will beat the daylights out of your ears.  I'd have to echo a remark about "refreshing" the 7410, in light of the recent release of the 590SG.  If sheer cost is the issue, then do what you need to do.  If however, you're a little more flexible and can fit an SG into your budget, I wouldn't get a 7410 just to save a few bucks.

It's early, I know....but the SG might have been the best thing to happen to the sub-$2K ham market in a long time.  Icom needs a serious wake up call, as they're making it very difficult to continue to be a fan (me). 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: