Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models) Help

Reviews Summary for HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models)
HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models) Reviews: 57 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $99
Description: End fed dipole antenna made of finest materials. Monoband or
multiband antennes up to legel limit power possible

Info: info@hyendcompany.nl

More info: http://www.hyendcompany.nl/

You can write your own review of the HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models).

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2018 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Kort model review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the new Extra kort (short) model from Ron last week.
Basically a shortened, 4-bands 80-40-20-10 end fed.
The antenna is delivered at 53í but thatís for the lower part of 80m. I used mine in the phone dx window so itís even shorter at 47-48í. Installed as a sloper for a second story balcony to a nearby short tree. Performance on 10-20-40 is pretty similar to my Diamond HFV5 rotable dipole at 25í. The real gain is being able to use 80m from a microscopic lot. Donít expect full size dipole results but itís way better than most compromise antennas. It could be a nice option for apartment operators if a single nearby support is available. This is my third antenna from HYEndFed and Ron keep improving is product line and craftsmanship. This is the cadillac of end fed antennas.

M0IKQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2018 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Another winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
3rd antenna from Ron - this time the mono for 17m.
Usual high quality materials. I've come to expect nothing less nowadays.

Performs superbly - now approaching FT8 DXCC on 17m in about 2 months.

I'm a fan boy - bite me...

K6TRQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2018 03:17 Send this review to a friend
two is better than one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always a struggle to find an ideal antenna for a variety of situations. First challenge was SOTA activations. I need something light that actually works. After trying a couple of different "compact" solutions, I decided to try the HyEndFed lightweight 4-band. Bingo. Very lightweight but well built. Easy to deploy on top of a summit, and it works well and handles 100W if I'm hauling a QRO setup.

With that success, I decided to ponder my home setup. We rent and don't have an ideal lot (though we are at the top of a rise near the coast), and have been using a Buddipole set up as a vertical resonant at 20m (no coil - extended length). It actually works well, but if I want to change bands I have to pull it down from the tripod, reconfigure, and tune. I also tried a Chameleon setup but that requires a tuner. Fine with my KX2 (that internal tuner is incredible), but my FT-991A didn't really like it so I'd have to run an external tuner. Since I have some tall trees on the lot I figured I might be able to do an end fed, so I bought one of the regular 5-band (80-10) setups from HyEndFed. Paid for expedited shipping and got what I paid for - overnight ;-)

I had set up my lightweight end fed as a test case, so I pulled that down and tossed my rope into the eucalyptus and pulled the 23m of wire (the 80m section is a coil and some wire at the far end). Strapped the box to the deck fence and hooked up the tuner to check it. Disappointed at 80M as it was about 5:1. I attribute that to the coil sitting in one of the trees and being too low. I had to run an inverted V in the side yard.

But the good news - every other band, including those that it supposedly isn't resonant at, had great to excellent SWR. Even 17m and 12m was below 1.5:1. 40m and 20m were about 1.1:1. No tuner needed, and now I can change bands at will. Win.

VE2TH Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2018 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product, and company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much research and much studies, I decided to buy not one but two of these End-Fed antennas.

I ordered thursday morning, and receive it next tuesday afternoon. Very well packaged, and fast delivery, they shipped it via air and received it 5 days later.

I ordered two (2) of them. The monobander for 18 MHz (17 meter) 300 watts version. The second one is the 4 bands 100 watts version, 40/20/15/10 meters 66 ft long.-

I installed the first one (18 MHz). The feed box at 6 ft attached with tie-wrap to a small pipe fixed to my picnic table, and the end at 8 meters = 26 ft a top of my telescopic fiberglass mast. This one is from T-MAST CO, and it is the EXTRA HEAVY DUTY model.

So much that it does not cause my 9 meter fiberglass mast to bend Under the weight of the wire, Nice!!

First, I put the antenna analyser, RIG EXPERT AA-54 with 10 meter of RG-8X

FreqL 18.118 MHz center of the band
SWR 1:1
Z= 50.3 ohms + J 0.8 ohm
SWR under 1.1:1 through entire band, Really nice!!
-----------------------------------------------

The second one is the 40/20/15/10 meters 66 foot long Good news , because my lot at the back of the house is only 70 ft long, so I put the telescopic mast near the end of the lot while the feed box stayed at the same place,

Wow!! Again with the analyser the bandwith is really broad, the results are almost the same as the web site.

40 meters, 7.0 = 1.2 to 1.3

29.0 1.3
29.5 1.6
29.7 1.7
-------------------------------------------------

The quality of wire, is more flexible and easier to work with and the box is really robust with high quality fittings. By the way, I always roll my wire the way it was when I received it, it is easier to unroll and overtime, it doesn
------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

It is made of finest materials

Easy to put up, easy to tune, very well built, and it works very well with a low SWR.

Wonderful performance, Wonderful A1 quality, Wonderful Customer service.

Yes, they cost more, but are Worth the expense.

With my FT-817ND, I worked Uruguay 9217 Km and Paraguay ZP6CW 8157 Km, not bad for fair conditions.
Now I am going to try it portable this summer by the sea in the Maritime Provinces, and all around, and should be back with performance report, next autum.

Thumbs up to the company, and to the personal who take care to give the very best.

Oh! I like the strain relief for the wire and the connector protected with shrink tubing.

Another great idea, which is very useful , and for me it simplify the installation is the black square plastic with 2 holes large enough for the tie wrap to hold the box in place, whether to a tube or a balcony ramp, Genial!!!!

All the best
See you on the air,

72/73 Michel VE2TH

Always QRP

M0IKQ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2018 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 versions - 4 band classic for /P and a dual band 40/30 at home. Both work incredibly well at modest heights.
If I'm in your log 30m/40m, I was using one of Ron's wires :)
Well packaged and fast delivery.

You won't be disappointed if you buy one.

PB1A Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2018 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Best End Fed ever made!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After receiving my second antenna , im very happy with it.
Now, the 8 band 200 Watt aluminium plate is really heavy made.
No cheap plastic boxes, they have thinking about every detail in proces.
I can recommen every hams.

M0UMS Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2017 06:09 Send this review to a friend
My antenna of choice !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quite simply, the best antenna I have, and I have used a lot ! I have a 10/(15)/20/40 in the garden, the model with coil for 40m, and been using that for over a year with great success. So I decided to get the Ultralite Packet 100w 10/15/20/40 model for portable use. Its about 66ft long, and I've used it as a sloper from a 6ft pole. Contacts on 20m and 40m within a few minutes. Great customer service from Ron, and fast delivery from Netherlands to UK (ordered Sunday, arrived Tuesday) !

MM0HRL Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2017 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Superlative  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is the ultra-light 4 band model. Its wire is the 6-copper strand incredibly strong Aramid-cored material with zero stretch - which has to mean the conducting material is not subject to the strain of its own weight, modest though that weight may be. It's like the wire is its own Catenary-Wire within its own insulating sheath.
The standard of construction is absolutely beyond any sort of reasonable criticism. I know the prices are high, especially for us in the UK with the £ approaching the Euro for exchange rates but that's hardly Hyendfed's fault. The components used are the best there is, and Ron's build quality is such that I've never seen anything to better it. He's a perfectionist.
Yesterday my club used my antenna for a lighthouses on the air event here in Scotland, for the Elie Ness Lighthouse. Conditions were indifferent but even so we made around 35 contacts all over the UK and also into Scandinavia and central Europe.
My impression is that it gives a reasonably omnidirectional pattern. In the past I've worked the Eastern seaboard of the USA and Canada with this antenna, using between 50 and 100w only since I don't possess an amplifier.
Usually I set it up for portable ops strung between two fibreglass masts - as a sloper, the high faraway end being either at or near the top of a 40ft GRP mast, and the lower end holding the transformer module up around 17ft or so.
I use it on 40m, 20m, 17m as a rule - since the higher bands are less open these days barring the odd bit of Sporadic E. Since the antenna's not built to work 17m I keep a matcher in line - on straight-through for any band NOT 17m, and click it into line for 17m - having previously used an analyser to set-and-forget the manual tuner (I'm not too keen on auto-tuners)
I don't feel disadvantaged by using this antenna rather than a centre fed type, although I'm about to experiment with a doublet feeding into Aramid wire detachable arms, connecting via Anderson Powerpoles. - those make assembling and packing away a portable antenna that bit easier.
An advantage that end-fed long-wire antennas have is the simplicity of erecting them. In simple terms it's easier to erect two masts than three - assuming you'd want to have your centrefed run as a flat topper rather than an inverted-V. And if you want a very simple set up, one mast would do it if you wanted to keep it as an almost-vertical sloper. I've not tried that so far.
This pattern of antenna is very popular in Holland, where the Hyendfed models come from. Lots of us have probably worked Dutch stations who were using one of Ron's antennas - or maybe a home brew version.
To sum up, if this antenna were to be lost/stolen etc, I'd buy another straight away - which has to be a testament to how I view it.

M0KED Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2017 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Very effective stealthy antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using a Hy-Endfed 4 band Ultralight for portable ops. I compared it A/B with my 4 band fan dipole, in almost all contacts the end-fed was 1-2 S points better, both TX and RX. I decided to replace the fan dipole with Hy-Endfed's 400w 4 band model, installed in an inverted V configuration, 7 meters high either end,and 10m at the centre.SWR below 1:1.3 on 10,15,20&40 meters, 17 tunes with the inbuilt ATU. In the 2 months I've had it installed it's allowed me to work countries I've not even heard before,for example the Falklands on 20m, and 17m with the FT dx3000's ATU, and on 40m Indonesia, the Maldives and Iran.
The build quality is excellent, as is Hy-endfed's customer care, any questions I had were answered by Ron's e-mail within hours. Ordered direct from Holland on the Thursday, it was in my hand the following Wednesday!
All in all I'm very happy with this antenna, very easy to install, works better than my previous dipoles and it's pretty stealthy too!

N3HKN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2017 03:38 Send this review to a friend
Works At Bad Location  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Three floor condo. Radio stuff and the HyEnd balun box on the top floor setting on the windowsill. The 66ft of wire (40-20-15-10 model) runs down to a deck. The excess (about 50%) runs around the deck railing which is 12ft above ground. The product remains self-resonant on the 4 bands despite this compromised installation with less noise than an attic dipole.