Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Diamond SD-330 Mobile Screwdriver Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SD-330 Mobile Screwdriver
Diamond SD-330 Mobile Screwdriver Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $389.95
Description: Screwdriver Mobile HF Antenna
More info: http://www.diamondantenna.net/sd3301.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond SD-330 Mobile Screwdriver.

SO5BCT Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2019 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought Diamond SD330 because I needed a multiband antenna for working on 80-6m bands in my mobil. I made communication on the bands from 6m to 80m. While riding, he holds the handle very well even though I do not drive slowly. Whenever I use it during rain, then I try to dry it well at home. I care for her and she serves me well. I recommend this mobile antenna when you do not want to have several antennas for HF bands in the trunk.

VK3ASC Rating: 0/5 Jan 8, 2019 01:08 Send this review to a friend
I must have a lemon too  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna about 3 months ago. In that time only traveled on sealed roads and all the screws and antenna connection to the mount kept coming loose. (This vehicle only gets driven on the weekends). I ended up putting locktite on the screws which helped, but the antenna connection to the SO239 mount still kept coming loose. I would say its because of the plastic insulator at the base of the antenna.
The antenna does not stay in tune when traveling which is a real pain. I also purchased the SDC1 controller with the antenna.
I contacted Diamond in Japan and CC'd the Agent I purchased it from in Australia and heard nothing back from him only Diamond in Japan who said to contact the agent.
Using the antenna when stationary and every thing is re tightened its works great, drive 5 minute up the road and the antenna goes out of tune.
Like WA7ZK unreliable and would not recommend this antenna.

WA7ZK Rating: 0/5 Dec 26, 2018 19:00 Send this review to a friend
SWR intermittent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must have the lemon. My SD-330 developed a intermittent connection and the SWR would change with vibration. Had it apart many times to tighten hardware and then try later to modify it to keep it from vibrating loose. I have given up and scrapped it. I could not sell it to some one else and sleep at night. Too bad, great looking but unreliable.

WW3K Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2018 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Best multiband mobile HF antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been operating (on/off) mobile HF since the mid 1980's. Mostly monoband hamsticks, and/or Hustler super resonators, and/or VP-1 triband adapter. Recently obtained the Diamond SD-330 and was comparing it to the Lil Tarheel. I went with the Diamond because of fit, finish, and complete 6-80 meter capability (with two different whips included: short whip is 6-40 and long whip is 10-80 meters.) Short whip loads up from just below 6 meters to mid 4 Mhz. Long whip loads from about 32 MHz to well below 80 meters. I have mine mounted on GMC Sierra toolbox, and works FB. If you're running QRO (>200 watts), you might wanna consider something else, as this is only rated to 200w PEP. Running 100W from IC-706MKIIG, and SD-330 performs flawlessly, even at speed. Works well on 40 meters even with the short whip (surprisingly!) I couldn't be more delighted with this antenna. If I had to find a 'fault', I'd have to say it's the antenna screwdriver control switch, which is pretty flimsly. Not to worry however, as I'll probably be upgrading to an automatic screwdriver controller eventually. It was nice of Diamond to include a ferrite on the screwdriver control cable. Works great! Hope to use it roving to give out Texas counties in the panhandle during the next Texas QSO party (2019); will keep you posted!

KG4UHV Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2017 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed this antenna in my pick up truck and the performance is great. Don't hesitate to buy this antenna 73.

ZL3SV Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2015 17:53 Send this review to a friend
One of the best - Performance, looks and price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one a year ago and it works very well.
I installed a coil at the base to shunt the antenna to lower the feed impedance on the lower freqs and the SWR is perfect.

Coil is 16 turns on 12mm diameter plastic pipe of about 2mm dia enamel wire.

My Lexus has zero noise on all frequencies so mobile use is excellent. The Lexus is the first vehicle make out of over 70 cars I have owned that has zero noise.

See QRZ.com ZL3SV for a photo on my Lexus SUV

K2PXQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2015 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Very useful as a portable antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having the need to confront reduced mobility, I needed to find an alternative to erecting my 40 and 20 meter trap dipole while on vacation. The first iteration consisted of a 3/8 x 24 mount clamped to the deck railing, a 40M "Hamstick," and two 33 foot counterpoise radials at 180 degrees to each other. This arrangement worked quite well, but necessitated having a "Hamstick" for each of the bands I'm interested in using. In addition, the relatively narrow bandwidth of such an antenna, especially on the lower frequency bands, requires adjusting the length of the whip to go from one end of the band to the other. I purchased the continuously adjustable SD-330 over a year ago, and I've had good success on 40M as well as surprisingly good success on 75M. The two radials remain at 33 feet each, even on 75M. The screwdriver design permits me to adjust the SWR to 1:1 on 75M and 40M, and 2:1 on 20M--without the use of an antenna tuner. This summer, I'm going to add two 16 foot radials to see if I can get the SWR on 20M even lower. I use a small, 12V lithium ion battery pack to power the antenna's tuning motor, since it draws only about 100 mA. I am very pleased with the SD-330's performance. K2PXQ

MM3PTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2013 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for mobile   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this ant for about a year .I use it mainly on 14 ,18 ,21 and 28 Mhzs and mounted on a tri- mag mount .Tuning is simple and the results are great considering the size and made in Japan .

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Still brand new, early days, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got in a swap. Antenna never used. I had to buy a mount for it and I bought a Comet HD-5M and put it on my trunk lid of a MINI COOPER. Haven't made too many QSO's with it YET, but have made several on 15m and 20m CW and SSB running just 50w . Seems to be a normal mobile antenna. I used to have a HS-1800/PRO with extension and capacity hat,(a bigggg antenna) so I presume this has less ERP (less gain), but it certainly functions well and is not a dummy load. Still very early days. Only had it on the car about a week and like I said, very few QSO's yet. I don't "foresee" any issues. Hope I haven't just jinxed myself, hi hi ! 73 de Mike VE9AA

N8KBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2012 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Great small mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months

I bought the SD-330 last year at Dayton to put on my Toyota Highlander for a trip to San Diego from Ohio. I also bought the Better RF 7000 Tune control and screwdriver control. I set up the system shortly before I left Ohio with out a lot of elaborate grounding. I worked both coasts all the way across the country with out any difficulties on 20 M and 40 M. I didn't try alot of other bands then. After I arrived in San Diego I did try the antenna on a variaty of bands and I am very pleased with the performance.