Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas
Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $200 (160m model) others less
Description: Double Bazooka antennas, 160m 80m 40m 20m 17m
More info: http://www.iacantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas.

K4DHT Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2018 21:55 Send this review to a friend
IAC double bazooka dual band 20/40 mtr antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I installed this dual band 20/40 mtr IAC antenna about 3 months ago. It is operating better than any dipole antenna on 20 and 40 meters that I have ever had in the past 30+ years. It has a flat swr on 20 and 40 mtrs in the general portions of the ham bands.
I have purchased two other IAC antennas for 60 and 160 mtr bands but have not set them up yet. I have reason to believe they will work as well as my IAC 75 mtr double bazooka and my dual band IAC 20/40 mtrs antennas I have.

K6VMV Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2018 21:05 Send this review to a friend
80 Meter Double Bazooka A 5+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham for over 50 years. Most of my antennas have been homebrew. All my info is good on qrz.com. I put up homebrew 80 meter inverted V but was not satisfied with my results. Very narrow bandwidth etc. I called IAC and Dave answered the phone. We had a nice chat he answered all of my questions and gave me some tips. I ordered the 80 meter Double Bazooka on June 12. Surprise, it arrived on June 14 from PA. Dave ships his antennas via Priority Mail. I plan to operate in the CW, digital and Extra portion of the band. Per the instructions, I folded back each end of the antenna 18" in an attempt o get it resonant at 3.6. Hung it from tree limbs with an apex at 30' and the ends at about 10' to 15'. It is resonant at 3.596 with a 1:1 SWR. SWR at 3.520 = 1:1.3, 3.675 = 1:1.2, 3.800 = 1:1.9 and 3.850 = 1:2.4. My noise level is S3 to S4. Does it work? I have worked the following DX in the past 6 days on FT8 and received the following reports; V31MA -14, ZL2LW -11, VK3AGT -07, VK2DX -11, JH4RUF - 18, JG1APX -19, and EA8AXT - 16. Yesterday evening I worked VP8EME with a report of -13. That's a distance of 7,240 miles from my QTH. DX QSOs were made shortly after sunset - no amp. No problem working all over NA. But wait . . . there's more. Dave sent an email to make sure the antenna arrived and asked if I had installed it. He sent another email to ask how it was working and if I had any questions. He was on vacation and sent his cell number in case I needed it. Good grief! Talk about customer service! It is built like a tank and exceeds all of my expectations. I wish I could give the antenna, and Dave, a higher rating than 5. I highly recommend the antenna. 73, Ed, K6VMV

N4DJT Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2018 20:53 Send this review to a friend
IAC 20/40 dual band Double Bazooka  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here are my thoughts on the IAC 20/40 dual band Double Bazooka antenna.
The first thing the build quality is excellent, this should last me a very long time.
It was very easy to tune, they made them long, so on 40 meters had to fold back like 4 feet a side. 20 meters 30 inches a side.
I get both entirely under 1.7:1 SWR and since i do mostly digital modes I set them so its under 1.2:1 on the lower parts of 20 and 40.
I run an SPE Expert Solid State amp and it can be picky about how much SWR they will tolerate.
Needless to say i dont need to worry about that anymore.
This antenna is extremely broadbanded.
Also have the 80 meter full sized version but need to but it up, this weekend.
I will write another review on that when I get to play with it.
Bottom line:
If you are looking for a resonate broadbanded dipole that can do 1KW+ on digital modes, stop reading and go get one.

N5DUP Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2017 07:30 Send this review to a friend
80 Meter Half-Sloper Bazooka  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this type of antenna 20 years ago with the same success as this one to make regular (winter time) communications to the US west coast from Texas on 75 Meters. The build quality of this antenna is far superior to my homebrew efforts. My half-sloper is mounted at 52 ft on my HyGain HG-54HD crank-up tower which has a 10 gauge stranded insulated copper wire connected at the top of the top section running to the base of the tower (as suggested by David at IAC). The sloping leg of the antenna is oriented WNW, (about 290 degrees). I want to qualify this review with these statements.

1) I have been a ham operating on the low bands since 1980 but by no means am I an antenna expert.

2) This review is based on my personal observations.

3) I consider this a specialty antenna for these reasons:

a: It has vertical and horizontal polarization characteristics making it a good long distance antenna since it is less prone than other antennas to signal dips caused from polarization changes during QSO.

b: Has gain in the direction it is oriented from about 800-1000 miles out. Reported gain of 3-6 db

c: Attenuates close in (local) signals of less than 800 miles which is especially nice if there is interference caused by near-in stations.

I live in west Texas and like to talk with friends on the west coast (mostly in California) with whom I have been talking to for years. I put this antenna up specifically for that purpose. For the reasons stated in a. b. and c., this antenna works exceptionally well as compared to my 80 Meter double bazooka. My first contact with the California group after I put this antenna up at this location was exactly as I expected. I was switching between the IAC 80M half-sloper bazooka and the IAC 80M standard bazooka and receiving reports from the California group of a 1/2 to full s-unit increase in signal when I would switch to the half-sloper from the standard bazooka. There were three California stations reporting. On my end I was also seeing a similar increase in signal with a definite increase in audio volume. In the meantime, we had an OK station break in. The California stations could not hear him though he may not have been running an AMP, I was running legal limit. The OK station was approximately 450 miles from me and off the side of the half-sloper. I switched to the double bazooka while the OK station was talking and saw a significant increase in signal strength and audio volume, proving that near-in signals, especially those that are not in the direction that the half-sloper leg is oriented are attenuated, as compared to the 80M standard-bazooka. I had seen this with previous half-slopers compared to a standard 1/2 wavelength inv vee.

Why IAC's half-sloper rather than building my own? As previously stated, I have used 80M half-slopers in the past. The problem I had with the ones that I built was that the West Texas winds kept tearing them up. As enthralled with the antenna design as I was, I kept rebuilding them, hassle that it was. As a testament to the strength and build quality of IAC's antennas is the fact that I have been using their 80M double bazooka for almost 9 years now with no problems. In fact, it survived 80 mph straight-line winds at another location in 2009. Another reason I like their antennas is that David and Jeanna go out of their way with service and support. At the same time as I added the 80M half-sloper, I added their 160M, 60M, and 40M standard double-bazooka antennas. Since all 5 antennas are mounted on one tower, positioning and tuning was not cut and dry but thanks to David's knowledge and willingness to help, after several emails with pics and phone conversations with him, they are all working well now.

I highly recommend IAC. Their antennas, customer service and support are second to none.

KK6YO Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2017 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Unbetable performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am sure you heart it all about how wonderful the IAC antennas are. Fact is, it is all true. I have had my IAC Shorty Forty for over a year and live on the Left Coast :-). Performance is and has been fantastic. I have my antenna up about 40 feet and with each end bent back for tuning, it is about 15 feet (if that) long on each end. I talk to Australia when I here them in and Tasmania, But DX is only part of the story. This wonderful antenna from IAC just flat out works. Easy to put up, needs little space. Of course, higher the better with BAD band conditions. NEXT. As I was thinking about writing this revue, I thought that would it be nice to have a Dual band "Shorty" antenna. Let's say 20 and 40 meter. Well as it happens, they are working on just that type of antenna. BUY IAC and you will never regret your purchase. I kid you not. Fabulous antenna, great performance, and worth the money.
Hope to see you on 7.155 in the mornings with the rest of the group.
Jerry Davis
KK6YO

AB0PV Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2017 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 40 meter standard Double Bazooka from IAC over a year ago and thought it was time to write a review. After receiving the antenna I examined the construction and it is outstanding. Installed the antenna off my tower at approximately 50 feet configured as an inverted V. First impression was this antenna is much quieter than my wire dipole I have been using for many years. Besides the quiet receive I am getting great signal reports and many stations were surprised at the increase in signal strength over the wire antenna. The antenna continues to perform very well and look forward to many years of enjoyment. Since the 40 meter Double Bazooka antenna performed so well have ordered an 80 meter standard Double Bazooka from IAC and will be taking my 80 meter dipole down and replace with the 80 meter Double Bazooka. Another comment is the great customer service I received before and after my purchase. It is a pleasure doing business with IAC.

W4TUT Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2017 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my previous review.
It’s a long story but I will try to keep it as short as possible. At my original Punta Gorda, FL. QTH I had no problem with the HOA because they allowed Ham radio antennas. Then my wife and I decided to downgrade to a smaller home. We decided on a Villa overlooking a Golf Course. Bear in mind if you are not familiar with a Villa, as soon as you step out your rear or front door you are on “Common Ground”. In other words you do not own that ground. I proceeded to put up a wire antenna for 40M. The HOA said to take it down or be fined. Then I put up a flag pole disguised as a 40M vertical. The HOA said take it down or be fined. I even tried a Mobile whip in my pool area but that did not enhance my signal at all. Figuring the Amateur Radio Parity Act would not be passed any time soon, if at all, I decided to sell the Villa and buy a Home with some land. We did just that and could not be happier. My property backs up to a “Green Belt” which gives us total privacy. I even got in writing from the HOA to erect some wire antennas. To start with I installed a 30 foot flag mast in my back yard and put an old 40M Double Bazooka antenna which I had left over from a 2 element DB phrased array. Well, that worked so well I called my antenna specialist at International Antenna Corporation and ordered a 80M DB and put it at the top of the flag pole. Not to be outdone with the 80 & 40 it just made sense to call IAC again and add a 20M to the array. The spacing between the three inverted vees is about five feet and the antennas work well on all bands with VSWR of 1.5 or less. Go to my QRZ page to view the instillation of the antennas. I have been dealing with International Antenna Corporation for many years and it still amazes me how they can make an antenna to do such a superior job and also hold up in the harsh environment they do. As I have said many time before, It is not in the power you are running, it is in the antenna you are using. And that my fellow Hams is the reason I buy the Double Bazooka Antenna from IAC. The proof is in the pudding.

Greg Morrisette (W4TUT)
Punta Gorda, FL.

W4TUT Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2017 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I’M BACK
It’s a long story but I will try to keep it as short as possible. At my original Punta Gorda, FL. QTH I had no problem with the HOA because they allowed Ham radio antennas. Then my wife and I decided to downgrade to a smaller home. We decided on a Villa overlooking a Golf Course. Bear in mind if you are not familiar with a Villa, as soon as you step out your rear or front door you are on “Common Ground”. In other words you do not own that ground. I proceeded to put up a wire antenna for 40M. The HOA said to take it down or be fined. Then I put up a flag pole disguised as a 40M vertical. The HOA said take it down or be fined. I even tried a Mobile whip in my pool area but that did not enhance my signal at all. Figuring the Amateur Radio Parity Act would not be passed any time soon, if at all, I decided to sell the Villa and buy a Home with some land. We did just that and could not be happier. My property backs up to a “Green Belt” which gives us total privacy. I even got in writing from the HOA to erect some wire antennas. To start with I installed a 30 foot flag mast in my back yard and put an old 40M Double Bazooka antenna which I had left over from a 2 element DB phrased array. Well, that worked so well I called my antenna specialist at International Antenna Corporation and ordered a 80M DB and put it at the top of the flag pole. Not to be outdone with the 80 & 40 it just made sense to call IAC again and add a 20M to the array. The spacing between the three inverted vees is about five feet and the antennas work well on all bands with VSW of 1.5 or less. I have been dealing with International Antenna Corporation for many years and it still amazes me how they can make an antenna to do such a superior job and also hold up in the harsh environment they do. As I have said many time before, It is not in the power you are running, it is in the antenna you are using. And that my fellow Hams is the reason I buy the Double Bazooka Antenna from IAC. The proof is in the pudding.

Greg Morrisette (W4TUT)
Punta Gorda, FL.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2017 11:14 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE of my recent review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Further study has shown another added problem with the IAC Double Bazooka SWR readings that I bought for 60m. Willing to accept the 1.3-1.9 or so SWR across the band, I noted that when I unhooked the 60m sloper antenna from the tuner antenna #2 slot, that the Bazooka in #1 position now shows SWR in the 1.1 to 1.2 range across the entire band! And the sloper alone showed changes without the Bazooka in line. I now know that with the tower being part of the 1/4 wave sloper that there must have been coupling of the tower/coax braid to ground, creating a combination of reactances to both antennas, worse for the bazooka dipole. I unhook the sloper and get perfect Bazooka SWR readings in the range of 1.2:1 max. Since the tuner antenna switch does not islolate the antenna ports #1 and #2 enough and the Icom 7600 built-in ant #1 and #2 also does not isolate the problem, I will use each antenna individually and unhook the unused antenna. The earlier issue with the 160/80 dipole occurred WITHOUT that coax being hooked to anything in the shack and no tower ground system was involved. David of IAC was "right on" by stating the stand alone Bazooka should approach 1.2:1 or better across the entire 60m band. I does NOW!

K4KZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2017 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought two IAC antennas about six months ago: an inverted L for 160m and a dipole for 40m. Sure, I could have built a simple dipole for these two bands, but decided to try something different. I am pleased with both antennas. The inverted L is up 80' with the remaining portion being horizontal (with a handful of attached ground radials). The inverted L seems to work well on 60m also. The 40m dipole is up 40' or so feet and works well on 40m and 15m. With a tuner, I also use the inverted L on other bands.