Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R
Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R Reviews: 275 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Micro sized dual band 2m/70cm radio.
More info: http://www.verotelecom.com/

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R.

M6RIK Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2016 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Exellent performer for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the price this radio is hard to beat. It's not a sensitive as some of my other radios but it costs 1/5 of what they do.

It can be a little hard to program but it works really well - for the money.

W8QZ Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2016 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Ok while it worked, but . . ..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I must have happened on a bad one - after owning the radio a couple of months, it has developed a habit of shutting down in a hard lock-up during transmissions. The only fix is to remove the battery, wait at least 10 minutes, and then reconnect. This problem is NOT caused by battery charge level, as far as I can tell. The radio will receive all day, just fine. Oh well, for $30, I can't complain too much - maybe just use the thing for a trap-shoot target?
Programming it is a royal pain, but with the help of Miklor.com it CAN be done from the keyboard. As frequently noted, the stock antenna is pretty close to a dummy load -
I'm now planning to buy something better.
"Buy cheap, buy twice!"

KD8RNO Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2016 05:32 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the radio because it was cheap, small, and I was curious. The transmit power is not as strong as my Yaesu handheld, especially on simplex.

The user manual is difficult to understand in places, and other times totally useless. NOT A BEGINNERS FIRST RADIO. Manual programming is extremely difficult. It took me three days of off and on frustration, watching YouTube and trail and error to program two frequencies for repeater use. You have to program every little bit of info that most other handhelds just assume. Lots of profanity was said in the process of programming this little __________.

KB8BLZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Not The Best But It is Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a uv-5r for a couple years now and while this radio is not up to the same standards as the big 3 or 4 name brand radios, you can't really beat them for a knock around radio. They work and they are cheap. They aren't the easiest radios to program and they aren't going to make your friends envy your radio but again it works.

One thing I have noticed with mine is that if you take it outside in cold weather, the screen will go blank. The radio still works but you can't see anything on the screen. Once it warms back up everything is fine. So again, no, not a perfect radio but it does the job and if you lose it in a dinosaur or alien attack, you won't cry. Well, you may cry if being attacked by a dinosaur or alien but not over losing the radio... I would certainly recommend one if someone asked...

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Good knock around radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radios, I have three of them. Like G4XTA said, there is something weird about the charger. I have one like the picture above and two new (ok, I have 4 actually...) with the silver plate on the front. I needed to mark the chargers so I did not mix them up. Otherwise it seems that I mix them up and then cannot charge the battery on the alternate charge. Who knows but as long as I keep mine straight, I have chargers. I love the FM broadcast capability. I boat a lot and it is nice to listen to FM when the band is quiet. No drama with the priority, when the channel comes alive, it reverts to the station I want to listen to and FM goes away. Downside it is a real pain to program - had to use software to do this.

G4XTA Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2016 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Charging Caveat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Indeed, a moderate little radio at a fantastic price. Quality and performance are rather '1970's' but it's a good enough toy, not a credible piece of Amateur Radio equipment.
I have several.

Just one major hiccup to warn about: The charger doesn't charge unless the battery is placed in the cradle BEFORE it is plugged into the power. If you switch on the charger and place the battery into it, then it lights up, but won't charge it. You must unplug it, then re-power it AFTER putting the battery into the cradle.

I didn't know this, and have discarded several good batteries, thinking they were faulty, when in fact they just needed charging!

AB3LW Rating: 3/5 Jan 25, 2016 00:26 Send this review to a friend
i have two of them  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i use them for scanners, i lockout the transmit capability by programming the offset to 500mhz. they handle the narrow band adjacent channel splatter issue quite well with ctcss.

the cheapest scanner on the market that has ctcss and narrowband settings i could find is the bearcat 125 @ about 140 usd. and i got the uv5rs from buytwowayradios.com ( a very pleasant place to deal with) for 30 usd each. they have about an 18hr runtime on the small battery and the large battery gives about twice that.

the scan speed is very slow, but i only scan 6 channels for the east side of pittsburgh. its better used in the dual watch mode.

im not active in ham radio for a long time, but if i was going to go back on the air it wouldnt be with one of these.

but all in all imo they are a bargain if i get a year out of them before they croak. i guess time will tell, but so far so good

another plus is that the big battery for it is only 13 usd and a nice case for it is only 8 usd.

the stock antenna is like all brands (they suck). a good match for this radio is the nagoya 666 at 7 usd

AD1ET Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2016 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Buying Second UV-5RA BUT..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a UV-5RA for about a year and am buying another but. . . First, the radio I have is tough having survived a number of drops with no harm. Screen is soft and scratches easily but polishes easily as well. Markings on keys are fragile and rub off easily. A simple idea for preventing this would be nice. The main problem is spurious emission on VHF. I questioned this when it first came up but have run a simple experiment to verify. Set your Baofeng to transmit simplex high power on 145 Mhz. Set another radio, I use my Yaesu 7900r, on a multiple of 145 Mhz, say 290 Mhz. Key the Baofeng and see if you pick up the harmonic. Repeat as you move away and see how bad the interference is. At some (usually larger than expected) distance the receiver will stop hearing the harmonic. If you need proof that these radios could use a bit more harmonic suppression, this test should provide it. I am not bashing this radio just confirming the measurements made by others using more sophisticated instrumentation. I further believe that it is the FCCs responsibility to keep these out of the Country if they fail to make the grade. Not a lot to ask of our regulatory system. If they fail to act, we will have these radios as thick as mosquitos and almost as noisey.

VE1GAT Rating: 3/5 Oct 8, 2015 09:45 Send this review to a friend
aging a bit quickly  Time owned: more than 12 months
reached my >2 years of using these units (differing firmware models)

here is what's showing up.
batteries discharge when not use (I suspect they maybe NiHM and not Lith-Ion).
volume is scratchy.

They do survive being dunked in water then dried out! which is more than I can say for the deluge of fake Kenwood TKs, ICOMs flooding eBay Amazon Gearbuy, everbuying, dealsmachine.

I do not like the newer N5R firmware

N8VIL Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2015 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the original UV-5R for about two years now. Still works. Great radio for the money. I use this radio to carry around and not have to worry about if it gets damaged or lost as it is cheap. Good for what it is but not on par with the traditional name brand radios. You do need the programming software and cable to efficiently program this radio as it is difficult to program via the keypad. I recommend purchasing this radio if your not expecting Icom, Kennwood, Yaesu quality. I hate to admit but I find myself using this radio most of the time.