Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical
Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $399
Description: The Alpha FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) Multiband antenna is a complete multiband 500W PEP SSB multipurpose HF system that is pre-tuned, requires no moving clips on coils or readjusting of whips for tuning, and easily deploys in 120 seconds. When installed over a poor ground or not placed in a clear area, a perfect SWR match of 1:1 on all frequencies/bands is easily achieved with your tuner. When fully deployed with the included NVIS element, the antenna system can be configured to launch your signal at your target in the opposite direction the NVIS element is run. For an omnidirectional signal pattern, you may remove the NVIS element. System and options include a Padded Field Bag, Alpha Match, 13 foot aluminum military type Mil-Stick whip available in 26 or 13 inch sections, Heavy Duty Tripod that requires no guying or Light Duty Tripod, Stainless Steel Jaw Mount, Active NVIS wire elements, and Counterpoise.
More info: http://www.AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical.

K8CPT Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2018 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Very happy Fast Setup DX POTA A+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first thing i want to say is you get what you pay for. This antenna with the large tripod is amazing. I have built a few verticals and purchased a few as well. Nothing comes close to the amazingly easy setup. After 2 or so minutes your done and your on the air. Non of that run 40 radials crap just get on the air and talk. My first trip was at sleepy hollow state park. The band conditions were horrible. Everything was in the red on the standard propagation websites. I was using 10 watts out of my x108g. My first contact of the day was Azores and my friend that went along with me worked them after i did. I received a 57 and gave a 59. Other contacts were made from the states but for the conditions i was super happy with my contacts. I will say be careful the first time you unwind the ground and nvis wires. My friend and i were excited to get on the air and we tangled things up a bit lol No strikes against the antenna for that one just take your time dont get too excited. This is not my first alhpa product and it will definitely not be my last. Bottom line if you want something that works is easy to setup easy to break down takes a small ammount of space and works. The Alpha fell metal Jacket is a good purchase. 73 Hope to work you on the bands.

AC0HA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2018 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 6 - 80 FMJ ANTENNA   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this antenna in April as an upgrade to the older one I have. I used the FMJ antenna on Saturday of field day this year and I have to say. This antenna is quite awesome. I made 259 contacts with this antenna that day and was the only one working my station. I had to leave the radio several times to operate another station and answer messages as they came in from different clubs. The highlight was when I was hearing better on my vertical FMJ then my wife was on our Dipole antenna 35 feet in the air. I was able to pull out stations and get in to other stations with this antenna better then the other antennas around me were able to. I am greatly impressed with this antenna and highly recommend it to anyone that wants to go mobile, build a go bag, an emergency radio bag or just to take to the field and DX with. You won't be disappointed.

N2JNR Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2018 19:11 Send this review to a friend
DX from my Balcony!!!!! AND YES, DURING CURRENT CONDITIONS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I find it so necessary to share about my experience with this antenna! Let me first start off by talking about my situation... I live in an apartment with a balcony. There's an overhang which adds to the challenge in a building that has me operating in stealth mode.

In the short time I've been using the Alpha MOTO FMJ Antenna (almost 2 months) I couldn't be happier! DX with current band conditions includes: Argentina, Balearic Island, Chile, Canada, Ecuador, Russia, France, Japan (close to 2 dozen QSOs), Jamaica, New Zealand, Slovak Republic, Sweeden, Ukraine...

It's important to mention, I'm mainly a CW Operator (my stats are about 90% CW), however on SSB my log includes with the Alpha: Hawaii, Alaska, Ukraine, Mexico and Chile...

Operators are blown away by the quality and it becomes a topic of discussion! I enjoy when I break thru on pile-ups! Worth noting, I swapped out the whip with a 12 ft telescopic. Those curious, I'm operating mainly on 20 and 30 meters, though at times on 40 and 17 meters.

Also... Very important to mention, Steve and his team really took the time to understand my scenario and to lead me in the right direction.
If you're operating in stealth mode, I have to say the Alpha is a winner! It's a workhorse! I highly recommend this antenna with no reserve and confident I'll be continuing my relationship for many years with Alpha Antenna.

W3POR Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2018 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When Steve told me that it would take 2 minutes (tops) to set this up I thought he was joking. A couple of weeks later I took it to a local prairie conservation area and found out that he was almost right. It was windy that day, and by the time I finished rigging the guy lines and the ground wire it had taken five minutes to set up. A few minutes after that I was in a QSO with a special event station 1500 miles away.

KC1ELZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2018 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Alpha MOTO 23 months in service. Still works well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Review update: I've owned and used the Alpha MOTO antenna for 23 months now, all kinds of weather, up to 95mph on the highway, hit branches, garage doors, ATM overhangs, etc. My Alpha MOTO is still in excellent working condition. Look up my July 2016 original eHam Alpha MOTO review for all my design and build details. My YouTube videos (linked in my profile) also demonstrate many other things that I do with this antenna configuration. Per my initial review, I did swap out the original Alpha whip for a longer and stiffer Wilson whip, taken from an out-of-service Wilson 11 meter mag mount.

With my barefoot Yaesu FT100D in mobile mode, in tandem with Alpha MOTO and LDG tuner, I've QSOd and QSLd Cuba, Czech Republic, and Hawaii. Despite the horrible band conditions that have plagued operators for weeks, lately, OK2RZ was my most recent 20meter mobile DX QSO (z20180412 @ z2023). The right spot at the right time. This is the 3rd consecutive year that OK2RZ and I QSOd.

Not all of my HF QSOs are mobile. I also use a 27' jumper between the Alpha MOTO coil and my 98' inverted L in my oaks. At times, I also bypass my Alpha MOTO altogether with 65' of coax from my mobile radio to 9-1 unun in the bushes and 300' of inverted L in my oaks. But, then, that's one of the joys of this build, that I can use multiple, easy to convert configurations on the same mobile platform. I still occasionally use the 13' Alpha Milstick on a stud on top of my mobile mount bracket, which I then jumper to the Alpha coil, but only in stationary/semi-portable status. I did the stud mount and jumper arrangement for the Milstick because the K9000 actuator cannot sustain the Alpha Milstick and coil vertically.

Also, please note that the new Alpha mobile antenna transformer is in a different, heavier housing than the PVC contained Alpha MOTO that I own. I would not recommend using the same model Diamond K9000 actuator with the new heavier Alpha housing, if you're considering a similar build, with actuators to raise and lower your Alpha mobile. I'd look for a sturdier actuator for that new Alpha coil can. When I was researching what actuator and antenna to use in my build, I watched a K9000 (groaning in YouTube video) trying to raise a Yaesu ATAS antenna. It just sounded like the actuator was working too hard dealing with all that mass and torque at the end of the ATAS. One needs to match the lift, torque, and hold capabilities of an actuator to the physical mass and wind resistance coefficient on the antenna and coil that one wants on the vehicle.

Any comments or questions, please email me.

73 and God bless you. KC1ELZ

N1ECC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2018 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this Alpha Vertical Multiband Antenna for Field Day last year using a tripod running low power and had Great Results. Late fall I mounted this mounted this antenna on a 10' mast driven into the ground 3' making the antenna 7' above the ground. I used this antenna for Winter Field earlier this year with great results. I decided after Winter Field Day to leave it up for the winter months using my Field Day setup as a second station when weather conditions allowed.
Well earlier this week we up here in New England their was a Snow Storm that hit us with wet snow and strong winds!. After the storm I looked out my window and saw my Alpha Vertical Antenna mil-stick element at 90 degrees horizontal weighed down from the snow. I was thinking that the antenna has now issues and I would have to purchase a new one. After cleaning the driveway etc. I decided to clean the snow off and check out the damage to the Alpha Antenna. To my surprise the element sprung back up to vertical and I found no cracks at all to any part of the antenna. I tested it out making a couple contacts on 20 meters to confirm that everything was OK.
Thumbs up to Steve and is staff on making a super durable antenna. I think this antenna is going to stay up and I will continue to us it as my station 2 antenna.
I highly recommend this antenna not only as a portable but as a Base Antenna in any limited space dwelling.
I am now looking at other Alpha Antenna Products that I can use for future Ham Radio Adventures.

KN4HPW Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Alpha Antenna Multiband. I purchased this antenna after a couple of months of research as my first HF antenna. I was looking for a product that was well built, had good performance characteristics, and was easy to assemble and disassemble. I have been nothing more than pleased with this purchase. I live in a coastal area where the environment is relatively harsh. I purchased the antenna with the HD-FMJ (Heavy Duty - Full Metal Jacket) Tripod partially with the environmental conditions in mind. The tripod is solid and easy to deploy. The antenna sets up in a matter of minutes and does not require assistance. I have three guy ropes attached to provide additional stability as recommended by the manufacturer. I have had this unit deployed since January and it has withstood the conditions along the Outer Banks of North Carolina including several intense winter events. The performance is accurately described by Alpha Antenna with regards to radiation pattern. I have made PSK-31 contacts as far distant as 5500 miles and have been heard as distant as Antartica when doing a WSPR test on 100 and 20 watts respectively. The antenna has met and exceeded all of the criteria for which I made my initial purchase.

I will make additional purchases from this company for a reason for which I had not considered when first purchasing this first antenna. That is the exceptional customer service. As a new ham I had questions about the radiation pattern of my antenna. I contacted Alpha Antenna by e-mail on a Saturday and much to my surprise within minutes I received an e-mail reply from Steven Deines the founder of Alpha Antenna. We exchanged several e-mails that afternoon and he followed up with me the following week after I gathered some data doing a 24 hour WSPR test. That is the kind of service and support that I would submit one would be hard pressed to find with another company.

Needless to say, I am a real fan and committed customer to a company that has produced an awesome product and stands behind their work with a service commitment that is second to none.

N5JED Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2017 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Quality built antenna. Exceptional value. Works super!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an update to previous e-Ham review of Alpha 13 foot multiband mil-spec whip vertical antenna. Today worked PY5QW on 24.940 MHz. Band conditions were listed as poor for 12 meters. However, received a 56/7 signal report on SSB and gave PY5QW a 56 report. The south Brazil station according to QRZ.COM is located 5,056 miles from my QTH. Alpha makes an exceptionally well built quality antenna that exceeds all literature regarding performance and value for money.

KE0JNC Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2017 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Terrific!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just tried my 6-80M 500W Complete Multiband tuner free HF antenna that I purchased from you last month. The performance exceeded my expectations! Having thoroughly researched portable antenna systems for months I decided to purchase your product. It is amazing in that it "hears" things my home station vertical antenna doesn't. Another ham and I did a side by side comparison - my Kenwood 940S/AT running through a Hustler 5BTV ground mounted antenna on one hand, and my Yaesu FT-897D running through your multiband antenna on the other. While comparing these two transceivers is hardly an "apples to apples comparison," there was less band noise on your antenna. I was also able to hear stations on your antenna that I was unable to hear on my home station vertical. Signal reports were great as well. You've produced a terrific product! Thanks!

KB8MRC Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2017 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Third review update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my third review of this product. Just want to add this antenna is very good when using the digital modes. Just worked a couple of stations on JT65 160m band. I don't even have it tuned for that band but it got out. So if you want something economical and portable and your into digital modes, this should do the job. P.S. my call was spotted on the hamspots.net website for digital modes by a station on Antarctica using this antenna. This while I was trying to make a contact with another station. 50 watts, grey line and weak propagation. I would say not bad at all.