Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical
Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $399
Description: The Alpha FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) Multiband antenna is a complete multiband 500W PEP SSB multipurpose HF system that is pre-tuned, requires no moving clips on coils or readjusting of whips for tuning, and easily deploys in 120 seconds. When installed over a poor ground or not placed in a clear area, a perfect SWR match of 1:1 on all frequencies/bands is easily achieved with your tuner. When fully deployed with the included NVIS element, the antenna system can be configured to launch your signal at your target in the opposite direction the NVIS element is run. For an omnidirectional signal pattern, you may remove the NVIS element. System and options include a Padded Field Bag, Alpha Match, 13 foot aluminum military type Mil-Stick whip available in 26 or 13 inch sections, Heavy Duty Tripod that requires no guying or Light Duty Tripod, Stainless Steel Jaw Mount, Active NVIS wire elements, and Counterpoise.
More info: http://www.AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna FMJ Multiband, HF directional/vertical.

KD0LAV Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2019 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Wow! Great performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am mechanically challenged yet it took less than 5 minutes to set this up. Hooked it to my 857 and the first contact was 5-9 to St Petersburg, Russia. Antenna was placed in my back yard between two houses. Far from ideal but it’s all I had to work with due to neighborhood restrictions. To get right to the point, this antenna works. Customer service from the owner of the business was and continues to be outstanding. Calling after 5 pm on a Friday I left a message and didn’t expect a call till next week. I was wrong. Within 5 minutes I got a return call from Steve. Would I buy more products from Alpha Antenna? Without a doubt, yes!

KD0LAV

KM4MPG Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2019 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Great product, as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had initial matching unit failure. Steve called me back one hr after I called. He told me the test to perform, and it failed. Sent it back and a new unit was provided. Worst match before tuning was 1.3-1! Across all bands. Wow! Copied all traffic I could hear on OCF dipole, though 1.5 to 2 S units weaker. Great portable antenna. Thanks again Steve! Excellent product and customer service.

WV2VR Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2019 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Would give it a 10 if it were possible!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Finally, a portable HF antenna superstar! The HD-FMJ portable has been an answer to prayer. Our group needed a rugged, realistically portable, HF antenna that would stand up to salt air and deliver outstanding performance. We’ve utili EFD’s, “sticks”, “pokes” and loops. At best, we got weak results. Enter Steve from Alpha Antennas. He took the time to listen to our needs AND promised satisfaction or refund. He suggested the HD-FMJ vertical package and it came in three days. Our next “Rally Point” (field day exercise) was schedule the following weekend and we deployed near a sea side cliff with 12 ops for 8 hours. The results speak for themselves. Over 200 QSO with farthest DX of 7JP!!! We worked both SSB and CW over the day making 22 states and 14 countries. This was our finest field experience in two years, the ONLY difference being the antenna. Super easy deployment, simple NVIS element/counterpoise adjustments (when needed), awesome results with speedy breakdown all fitting into a padded heavy duty case. We have no idea what magic is inside the HD-FMJ base element but IT DELIVERS!!!
Ham Radio is almost always fun, but exceedingly so when energy, excitement and equipment come together in synergy. All of our members left with smiles, super pleased with the days efforts and looking forward to the next opportunity. Thank You Steve, Alpha Antennas and the HD-FMJ Antenna. Products like your are part of what makes the hobby great!

N3FAA Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2019 03:04 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable Performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A tiny whip antenna mounted on a tripod 5 feet off the ground? Yeah...sure it will perform...right...

Holy cow! Ordered this antenna for Field Day, but set it up in my yard temporarily in absence of having a permanent antenna right now.

In these horrible band conditions, with 20m listed as "Poor" today, the contacts started rolling in. From Southern California, worked everything from Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Massachusetts, New York, and Alaska, right along with Nicaragua, Brazil, and Tokyo! Yep...Tokyo on a portable whip antenna 5 feet above the ground on a tripod, and that was with the "directional" portion of the antenna pointed to the east.

Not really sure what the heck makes this antenna work like it does, but it definitely works. I feel completely prepared for Field Day and then some. :)

K6KUF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2018 03:01 Send this review to a friend
6-80M Alpha HD-FMJ, Multi-band portable HF antenna 5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a 5/5 product.

I purchased the 6-80M Alpha HD-FMJ, Multi-band portable HF antenna on 10/15/2018 after an extensive morning conversation with James and Steve in which they answered all of my technical questions as well as questions concerning warranty. They were both very open and unlike many antenna companies openly share details including a publication of the SWR profile.

The 6-80M Alpha HD-FMJ, Multi-band portable HF antenna arrived here in NM by Priority Mail within 3 days of ordering.

I had a chance to test the antenna at my home the day of arrival for a couple of hours and I found that it performed as advertised if not better after I moved it further away from the house than I had it initially. 25-30 feet was suffcient. The test was conducted using the Tripod mount on 40 and 80 meters. I had arranged with a number of friends both here in NM, UT and CO that were at least 150 miles away to assist me. All stations had full copy on me while I ran 85-90 watts on my IC7410 with reasonable signal strengths. The furthest station for this quick test from my QTH in Socorro, NM was in Florissant, CO 343.2 mi away as the crow flies.

Using a MFJ 269C I tested the SWR and had extremely close correspondence to the published SWR plot.

Approximately 2 weeks later I used the Alpha on an extended camping trip. I was camping at Latitude: 33.883003848,Longitude :-107.514143672 at a place called Bear Trap Canyon, NM. 25 Oct to 30 Oct. 5 nights, 6 days.

I was camping in a very narrow canyon at approximately 8700'. I was in that part of the canyon that was 300-400 feet wide at most. I used the antenna extensively and I had excellent performance considering the band conditions. I was able to check in on the NM nets that I check in on as well as have some QSOs with stations in excess of 1000 miles. Most importantly, I was able to use the WINLINK email system to exchange some email messages with my wife to let her know that I and Manny (my dog) were okay as well as for me to learn that she was okay. Rig used was a IC7200, LDG Pro II 100 watt tuner, USB cable and my laptop. I ran on average about 75 watts.

It was nice to purchase an American made product that worked better than advertised. I was looking for a portable antenna setup that could be deployed in under 5 minutes including running the coax and that worked.

The 6-80M Alpha HD-FMJ, Multi-band portable HF antenna exceeded my expectations.

K8CPT Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2018 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Very happy Fast Setup DX POTA A+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first thing i want to say is you get what you pay for. This antenna with the large tripod is amazing. I have built a few verticals and purchased a few as well. Nothing comes close to the amazingly easy setup. After 2 or so minutes your done and your on the air. Non of that run 40 radials crap just get on the air and talk. My first trip was at sleepy hollow state park. The band conditions were horrible. Everything was in the red on the standard propagation websites. I was using 10 watts out of my x108g. My first contact of the day was Azores and my friend that went along with me worked them after i did. I received a 57 and gave a 59. Other contacts were made from the states but for the conditions i was super happy with my contacts. I will say be careful the first time you unwind the ground and nvis wires. My friend and i were excited to get on the air and we tangled things up a bit lol No strikes against the antenna for that one just take your time dont get too excited. This is not my first alhpa product and it will definitely not be my last. Bottom line if you want something that works is easy to setup easy to break down takes a small ammount of space and works. The Alpha fell metal Jacket is a good purchase. 73 Hope to work you on the bands.

AC0HA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2018 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 6 - 80 FMJ ANTENNA   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this antenna in April as an upgrade to the older one I have. I used the FMJ antenna on Saturday of field day this year and I have to say. This antenna is quite awesome. I made 259 contacts with this antenna that day and was the only one working my station. I had to leave the radio several times to operate another station and answer messages as they came in from different clubs. The highlight was when I was hearing better on my vertical FMJ then my wife was on our Dipole antenna 35 feet in the air. I was able to pull out stations and get in to other stations with this antenna better then the other antennas around me were able to. I am greatly impressed with this antenna and highly recommend it to anyone that wants to go mobile, build a go bag, an emergency radio bag or just to take to the field and DX with. You won't be disappointed.

W3POR Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2018 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When Steve told me that it would take 2 minutes (tops) to set this up I thought he was joking. A couple of weeks later I took it to a local prairie conservation area and found out that he was almost right. It was windy that day, and by the time I finished rigging the guy lines and the ground wire it had taken five minutes to set up. A few minutes after that I was in a QSO with a special event station 1500 miles away.

N1ECC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2018 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this Alpha Vertical Multiband Antenna for Field Day last year using a tripod running low power and had Great Results. Late fall I mounted this mounted this antenna on a 10' mast driven into the ground 3' making the antenna 7' above the ground. I used this antenna for Winter Field earlier this year with great results. I decided after Winter Field Day to leave it up for the winter months using my Field Day setup as a second station when weather conditions allowed.
Well earlier this week we up here in New England their was a Snow Storm that hit us with wet snow and strong winds!. After the storm I looked out my window and saw my Alpha Vertical Antenna mil-stick element at 90 degrees horizontal weighed down from the snow. I was thinking that the antenna has now issues and I would have to purchase a new one. After cleaning the driveway etc. I decided to clean the snow off and check out the damage to the Alpha Antenna. To my surprise the element sprung back up to vertical and I found no cracks at all to any part of the antenna. I tested it out making a couple contacts on 20 meters to confirm that everything was OK.
Thumbs up to Steve and is staff on making a super durable antenna. I think this antenna is going to stay up and I will continue to us it as my station 2 antenna.
I highly recommend this antenna not only as a portable but as a Base Antenna in any limited space dwelling.
I am now looking at other Alpha Antenna Products that I can use for future Ham Radio Adventures.

KN4HPW Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Alpha Antenna Multiband. I purchased this antenna after a couple of months of research as my first HF antenna. I was looking for a product that was well built, had good performance characteristics, and was easy to assemble and disassemble. I have been nothing more than pleased with this purchase. I live in a coastal area where the environment is relatively harsh. I purchased the antenna with the HD-FMJ (Heavy Duty - Full Metal Jacket) Tripod partially with the environmental conditions in mind. The tripod is solid and easy to deploy. The antenna sets up in a matter of minutes and does not require assistance. I have three guy ropes attached to provide additional stability as recommended by the manufacturer. I have had this unit deployed since January and it has withstood the conditions along the Outer Banks of North Carolina including several intense winter events. The performance is accurately described by Alpha Antenna with regards to radiation pattern. I have made PSK-31 contacts as far distant as 5500 miles and have been heard as distant as Antartica when doing a WSPR test on 100 and 20 watts respectively. The antenna has met and exceeded all of the criteria for which I made my initial purchase.

I will make additional purchases from this company for a reason for which I had not considered when first purchasing this first antenna. That is the exceptional customer service. As a new ham I had questions about the radiation pattern of my antenna. I contacted Alpha Antenna by e-mail on a Saturday and much to my surprise within minutes I received an e-mail reply from Steven Deines the founder of Alpha Antenna. We exchanged several e-mails that afternoon and he followed up with me the following week after I gathered some data doing a 24 hour WSPR test. That is the kind of service and support that I would submit one would be hard pressed to find with another company.

Needless to say, I am a real fan and committed customer to a company that has produced an awesome product and stands behind their work with a service commitment that is second to none.