Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA Help

Reviews Summary for DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA
DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA Reviews: 88 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: Gain: 2m:4.5dB 70cm:7.2dB
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50.html

You can write your own review of the DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA.

G4VRR Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2019 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Genuine Diamond antenna, installed at about twenty five feet with a six foot pole on a chimney stack. I have heard European stations on 70 cms and repeaters up to 50 odd miles away. I checked before installation using a pole in the garden at six feet with an eight inch patch lead of RG412. Low SWR on both bands at 145.500 and 435.500. Low SWR readings at installed position too. EU1KY Analyser seems very happy with it on both bands. Now I have to put up with pulsed warbling QRM breaking squelch on several channels of which I was unaware on the handies. Build quality is great but I'm not sure of those little capacitors inside... I put some zinc with Vaseline mixture on all screwed joints, covered them with self amalgamating tape and shoved some ScotchBrite up the mounting stub tube around the coaxial cable to disuade insects whilst still letting it drain and breathe. I'm hoping not to have to go back up on the roof anytime soon!

K6PPT Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2019 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Seem good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seems to perform pretty well on UHF. I believe the gain is overstated for VHF. Don’t have High expectations on VHF with this. Realistic gain is about 2.5 DB. RX is Decent with this antenna on VHF However.
Paul Tretiakoff In Tucson, AZ

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2018 11:39 Send this review to a friend
24+ Years of Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Time owned: 24 years and still going strong without any issues. I now use it with an Expert Electronics SunSDR2Pro 2m SDR transceiver.

Antenna is chimney-mounted at 30 ft. The entire antenna and chimney mount are painted with Rustoleum flat-black charcoal grill paint. HOA hasn't flagged it at this QTH in 19 years. A solid performer.

KD2GOE Rating: 0/5 Oct 7, 2018 17:20 Send this review to a friend
it's a Class 10 stinker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a TRAM 1180 with the NMO ground plan kit so I though I would get the Diamond Antenna X50A as an upgrade I set it up on my roof and i lost like 7 s units with my friends that live 2 and 4 miles away on UHF simplex I went from full quiet to talking like I was on a 4w hand held.
I can't and would not recommend this antenna at all it is terrible.
thinking i had a bad antenna i sent it back and got a new one well that did not help at all.
2 THUMBS DOWN for the X50A I want my money back..
P.S I am running LMR 400 put the TRAM 1180 back up...

KL2ZZ Rating: 3/5 Sep 20, 2017 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Broken out of the box?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I see some rave reviews of this antenna, so I swapped out a Morad VHF 146HD antenna with a Diamond X-50NA.

I was immediately notified of noise on my TX, and coverage markedly declined over the Morad.

Investigating, I found that on my copy of this antenna, the female N connector and everything attached to it will rotate inside the antenna shell, while the radials remain stationary. (To anticipate your comments - no, I did not torque down the coaxial cable with a twelve-inch plumber's wrench!)

Unfortunately in SE Alaska returning and replacing an antenna like this is costly and time consuming to the point where it is easier to just try a different make/model.

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2017 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Great stick  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one up for about 10 years with absolutly no problems. Fed it with 1/4" heliax about 50 foot to the rig. I got out what I put in and enjoyed it till I moved. It withstood the Buffalo, NY winters with no effort.

de NV2A

VK3FORK Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2017 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very low SWR from 144 to 147 then it begins to climb slightly to 147.990 , never goes over 1.5:1
in the 2 meter band ( ?? 70cm ) . Also performs well on 70cm ..Build quality looks to be excellent and the performance is good for a omni directional. A very quiet antenna that is well made and looks like it will last . Its good on both 2 meters and 70cm .

KC6KNL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a few years ago. For about two years, this anteanna was used indoors. It was leaned in the corner of my home office room connected to my Dual Band Mobile radio just feet away.

I used it connect to the North Fulton 145.470 Repeater on Sweat Mountain that is 20 miles away.

I was able to get into the repeater full quieting.

I couldn't hit other repeaters like some D-Star Repeaters I wanted to test out.

Over the weekend, I relocated this antenna outside and mounted it almost 7 feet above the ground between houses.

It is connected to my basement shack via 70' of TWB-4001 Coax Cable.

I can hit 6 D-Star Repeaters. Very impressive. I have not tested it on FM Analog Repeaters yet.

This antenna is a small size and packs a punch for it's size. I live in an HOA community.

I was thinking of painting it with camouflage paint so that it would blend in with the backyard trees.

There is a cool blog on it. Google "diamond x50 camouflage".

Compared to the other Diamond Antennas, it is the best bang for the buck. I will probably buy a second one to use as a portable.

GM1EXK Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2015 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great design and quality but tuned slightly off band for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just installed a Diamond X-50N (non A version), which is the version with an N connector and designed to be resonant in the middle of the UK 144-146MHz band.

The antenna performs well and the design and construction are excellent. The mounting tube effectively keeps water off the connector, and recent versions now come with two screws holding the antenna to the mounting tube.

The only downside for me is the pre-tuned resonance. Putting an analyser on the antenna shows the tune point to be about 148MHz where it's nearly 1:1. At the top of the band (146MHz) it's 1.3:1. By 145MHz it's 1.4:1 and at 144MHz it's 1.6:1. Still acceptable and usable but quite annoying the 1:1 sweet spot is not at 145MHz!

The analyser on 70cm shows 1.3:1 at 430MHZ, 1.2:1 at 435MHz and 1.1:1 at 440MHZ but by 445MHz the curve shoots up and it's 1.7:1 and by 450MHz it's well over 2:1. Generally I'm happy with the 70cm SWR but again it's slightly higher in freq than it should be.

I don't know if A) They're all like this, B) Mine has been tuned a little off or C) my mounting location is affecting the tune. I have it on a pole where the bottom of the antenna just clears the apex of the building. The surrounding area is totally clear.

CT2IRJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2015 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi!

I have one of these great antennas for about 12y. It worked flawlessly, but at about 5 year I've been away from the hobby and didnīt gave it much use.

Now I'm back, and when i tried it again it was showing a bit of SWR on 2m.
One of the matching network capacitors was in bad shape.
I wonder if anyone has pictures of the matching network and the caps used in it.
if so please mail to sal.fresco (at) gmail.com

Many thanks