Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | HiPermite Help

Reviews Summary for HiPermite
HiPermite Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $19
Description: Narrow CW audio filter kit.
More info: http://www.4sqrp.com/HiPerMite.php

You can write your own review of the HiPermite.

N3PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2018 23:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice Addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one based on the reviews, and they were right. With the good documentation, it went together in a couple of hours. I installed it in a YouKits EK1C, between the last AF stage and the phone jack. What a difference. As others have said, this is great for older less selective radios and for the less expensive QRP sets.
I like this a little better than my SCAF because it's size let's it be built in.

WD8DSB Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2018 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Audio Filter For CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built my first Hi-Per-Mite in 2014 for use with my Kenwood TS-180s that has a 500 Hz IF filter, and the 200 Hz audio passband of the Hi-Per-Mite made a huge improvement including being close to zero beat of the station I'm trying to work by just tuning in a station by ear.

I just built a second Hi-Per-Mite (July 2018) for use with my QRP rigs (MFJ 9340 & HW-8) after trying my first one out on my MFJ 9340 with amazing results (again it takes the rig to a new level of performance and it easily puts me within the passband of the station I'm trying to work by just tuning in by ear).

I highly recommend this active audio filter even at the increased price of $25 which is still a bargain.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2017 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Awesome filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of those kits that would probably cost more to gather the parts than the kit itself.
I put mine together as the '20 db gain' version.
I also subbed in a small pot for a volume control as the instructions indicated.
Excellent quality board, all parts were there, etc.

I am VERY pleased with the performance.
Even with my Icom 7300 (in USB mode for a quick test), it just pulled the cw out of the noise.

Ron
N4UE

K4KRW Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2017 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This filter really works great. I added it to a homebrew rig who's core is a 49er. It completely transformed the rig. It turned it from a 'tolerated' rig to a truly fun rig. I highly recommend this kit. The board and parts quality is very good and it is an easy build. It is also very affordable.

YS1RS Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2015 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Great kit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this kit sitting in a box for a couple of years and decided to finally build it. Got a Radio Shack project case and decided to build it in the same box with another kit called Son Of Zerobeat from Jackson Harbor Press. Now I have a complete solution in one box!
Once I visually Zero beat the CW signal, I flip the switch and turn on the filter. Man what a great job this filter does. It actually pulls the CW signal from the noise or crowded band to a clear pleasant easy level.
I have quite a few boatanchors that lack filtering and I am now complete with this kit.
Built it with the option of battery or 13.8 volts. It now sits permanently in my shack.
Good job Hipermite!

VE3MWA Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2015 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was pleasantly surprised by how effective this kit is at filtering CW signals. Weak signals just pop out of the noise when the filter is turned on. Great value to anyone interested in CW.

Art
VE3FC

W1JKA Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2014 08:44 Send this review to a friend
They Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
Along with a good antenna the HiPermite is the second most useful addition to any QRP radio from a K-1 down to a MFJ Cub and smaller.I have three all used externally. A must have if you are into QRP cw/dx.

KK4UGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fast Shipping, easy build.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
As expected=outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I choose to assemble it for a 0 gain and 700Hz. Also I made a mistake: I did mount a jumper instead of R13. That was wrong and I had to replace the cheap LM386. Looking at the schematic the TLC274 receive voltage supply through pin 7 of the LM386. I did miss this point.

The filter in action works very well. I also have an old DSP filter, a JPS NTR1 which is wide, the narrow filter is 3400hz. Adding the hi-per-mite also largely improves this old DSP filter for CW. Highly recommended.

KU3V Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2013 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Hi-Per-Mite cost $20. Fast shipping. Two hours to solder the components. Put the board into a small metal project box left over from another project. Added a double pole, double throw switch since I was using this filter externally between the transmitter and headphones. It either shorts across the input and output headphone jacks signal wire since the other is common ground to both. Then the battery positive wire is across the other switch choice. So either you have the battery off and bypass the Hi-Per-Mite or power is on and the signal from your transceiver has to go through the audio filter.
Tried it out and worked first try. Works very nicely at 200Hz as a low pass filter to remove the high frequency noise, etc. Made a contact with KA4BAT on my first try 300 miles away. The gain was perfect and between the gain and filtering he came in perfect. I very much like this audio filter and it filters tighter at 200 Hz than my FT-450, version A by Yaesu.
Buy one. You will not regret it!
KU3V