Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1500 Help

Description: Acom 1500 - 1500w PEP (1200w carrier modes) 160 through 6m
manual band change and tuning. 3 Antenna Outputs, 1x 4CX1000
final.
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1500.

W0FVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2019 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Flat out Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp for 3+ years. What I'd say about this amp has already been said. Built like a battleship and pumps out the RF with no effort. It's really quiet and the protection circuits are exceptional. I don't think I could've done better! I can't do a comparison between this and the IC2KL that still sits in the shack since it's SS/tube. It's better than the SB221 I used in the past in every way...although I loved how the 3-500z pair lit up the shack!

K3VA Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2019 19:59 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
There's not too much to add except that this is my 3rd Acom amp. and hopefully the last! They got heavier as I upgraded from the 1010, the 1K and now to the 1500.
Besides being heavy duty they tune super easy and are very quiet especially the 1500.
I think I would have kept my 1000 but I was over thinking the GU74B situation. There are plenty out there so I really don't think its a big problem.
I do like the 4cx1000 and the extra power from it.
Only thing that would be really nice if Acom would use Vernier reducing on its tuning. Just a thought.

N9CHM Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2018 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Most EXCELLENT!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had the 1500 for 3+ months now, and like the ACOM 1000 I had, it is the easiest turning amp I've ever had (and I've had a bunch over the last 42 yrs). The protection circuits are excellent in case you select the wrong antenna or don't switch to the correct band on the amp (not that I would ever do something like that!). Does legal limit+ at the rated input (70-80W), really nice to have one amp which can run legal out from 160M to 6M (which I have done). I also asked about using a N.O.S. EIMAC 4CX1000A which I happen to have, should I ever find the need, as the ACOMs are sold with a Chinese version of this tube. The reply direct from ACOM (Val) and from Array Solutions (Jay) was that the EIMAC tube is the best replacement, but that the voltage bias will need to be readjusted for the EIMAC tube (the amp will not work unless the bias is re-set, at least according to several who have tried a direct replacement without changing the bias setting, just an FYI). So it looks like this is one amp which will stay in my shack for a long...long, time.

N4DCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2017 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many amps over the years and by far this amp is the easiest tuning amp I ever had. Also at full input power I see close to 1900 watts (normally run 70 watts input for full legal limit). The protecting circuits are the best I have come across including the 6 db pad that automatically gets put into the input line if you exceed the input limit. I run a FTDX-5000MP at the moment and one time I forgot to put it into Class-A (which decreases the output to 75 watts) and the amp inserted the 6db pad instantly and limited the input power to 100watts. Beautiful amp and its a keeper!

W1UFL Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2017 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased about 2 months ago. Very easy to tune and absolutely quiet. Very well constructed. Couldn't be happier with it. If your on the fence about an Acom, go for it !

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2017 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Repeatable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ACOM 1500 tuning is repeatable an fast, very quite, lots of safe guards, looks good in the shack, 1500w is easy with 65w drive on 160m. On a trade with HRO last year got a new ALS1300 a 1200w nice unit but on long transmission sometimes it would trip out a safty in the tuner or in the ALS 1300 I don't like having to repeat myself on 160m where I use it most, both devices are
RF scening, had to put the Pal-star in manual so it would not happen. The ACOM 1500, ended the problem, don't think the 300w extra watts makes much differance on the top end but its there if needed, the ACOM 1500 works well with the Pal-star. The ACOM 1500 looks an feels like it is built to last an I am a HAPPY CAMPER an a poorer HAM ....................kb6hrt

WR3KI Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2016 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Solid legal limit amp   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 1500 Acom in the shack for 13 months now, & I'd say the shake down cruise is over. It is a quiet & well built amp. Effortless legal limit amp. Tune up is different, but very, very smooth. Take a look at the U-tube videos on the subject.

Build quality is right up there with the old alphas of yester-year. Runs a single 4cx1000a, which can be had for a decent price, unlike the 8877. Lots of pulls, used & new available. I recently picked up a NOS tube for $350.

All in all, a good solid legal limit amp that won't break the bank & holds its value.

OZ1LWT Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2016 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Easy to tune and get on frequency.
Protections for all faults.
Great looking, very quiet, and tunes into antenna loads without a tuner.

Vy best 73 de OZ1LWT.

K3MEJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2016 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Best amp ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a lot of amplifiers and the ACOM 1500 is by far the best of all them. The amp is quiet, tuning is easy, and the display gives you a ton of information. Their customer service in Bulgaria is superb. I needed their help and Val was very responsive.

N1IK Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 09:00 Send this review to a friend
First impressions are outstanding...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my ACOM 1500 for just two days now, but the initial report is 5.0/5.0. I'll post a follow up report in several months.

The unit arrived from HRO double boxed and in perfect condition. I had it unboxed and on the air in just 15 minutes.

I'm getting the hang of tuning with the TRI tuning aid, and so far it seems to take all the pain out of tuning.

Once tuned, it just spits out the power. I am able to drive the unit to full legal limit on SSB and CW into well-matched antennas with ease.

I know ACOM is coming out with an update for this amp, but I didn't care. I don't do digital modes, and never will, so the 1200W limit on continuous carrier like RTTY isn't interesting to me. (And on top of that, 300 more watts is 1/10th of an S-unit on the other end, so who cares.)

What made me select this model over waiting for a new, updated model is that this model is tried and true and has a perfect review score on eHam. Who knows what a new model will be like in terms of bugs, reliability, and so on.

So far, I am very happy.

This unit will be the sister to my REALLY old Alpha 87A, which is just about to be sent out for repairs to fix a zero sensor.