Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Wouxun KG-UV920R-A Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV920R-A
Wouxun KG-UV920R-A Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: The KG-UV920R is Wouxon's first dual band rig, operating both 2 meters and 70 cm (440 MHz). Power output is selectable in 3 steps (2m: 5/25/50W, 70cm: 5/20/40W) and modulation can be switched between narrow-FM and regular-FM. The receiver covers the entire HF band, 65-220 MHz and 400-520 MHz and supports AM. A detachable front panel and DTMF-mic come standard.

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV920R-A.

AC4BB Rating: 0/5 Jul 7, 2016 20:35 Send this review to a friend
kguv920-a  Time owned: more than 12 months
The KG-UV920r-A Has been really a disappointing radio. I got it brand new in 2013.
The audio is extremely low on receive . The Standard hand mike is too big and uncomfortable to hold.
Also the PLL will change frequencies by the slightest movement of the selector knob it's very Un-stable. I, oftentimes, have to wiggle the knob back and forth to get the display to stay on the desired (Channel)
I won it at a ham fest I have been highly displeased with it. Cheaply made.

KP4ROR Rating: 3/5 Feb 17, 2016 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Operation Problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After my experience with my KG-UV9D and my KG-UV950P I decided to buy this version to be installed on my car.The radio are very well constructed compared with others Chinese radios and easy to program with the computer software included. Unfortunately the operation of this radio are some different from his bigger brother KG-UV950P. With this one I can't scan on both sides simultaneously during memory or frequency scan, or even I can't scan on one side and transmit on the other like my KG-UV950P. Also when you start scan it don't stop when a carrier are detected and if stop don't open audio, no matter what setting you program on menu 10 (SC-REV). Other than that the radio don't have any big issue that I notice at the moment, if find something else I will update this review. I plan to make a video showing those issues and post on YouTube.

KC9YZR Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2015 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, the Wouxun KG-UV920P-A worked great, with the top cover removed, the internal speakers removed, and having added a 4.5-inch, I think it is, cooling fan in the top of it, until the beginning of March, and I used it as a base station in the house and never mobile, but right now, when monitoring a certain memory channel, on the Left side sub-band, or whatever it is called, the frequency displayed will sometimes go wacky, or crazy, meaning that 446.000 might show as 6=446(()), or ID=666AX, or whatever, plus I can't keep, or store, the transmit PL tone either, as when I try to change the transmit PL from OFF, to 110.9, or 114.8, then save it, the next time I check it, it will be back to OFF, and also, I can't get the - offset, or minus offset, to change to + offset, or positive offset, like for a frequency of 443.975 MHz, for use with my 440 repeater, the offset stays showing as -, even though I saved it as a + offset, and when I try to change it to +, it won't change to -, so I can only use 440 properly on the right hand side, there it seems to be working OK, the ability to change the offset, and PL tone, seems to work OK, and I think that the correct frequency shows on the Right side also, whereas the Left side messes up, showing a crazy frequency on the display.

Next month I will have had it for one year always set up in the house as a base station and I never used software to program it, even though it came with software on a CD, as it did not come with a programming cable, only a cable for connecting the head with the base unit, if you mounted the base, or main unit, away from the head of the unit, and I had programmed it manually.

G0UOO Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2013 01:11 Send this review to a friend
2nd Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Down from a 4 to a 3. The radio has just been returned from repair for the 2nd time in under six months of ownership. Lost UHF transmit both times. Repair was to replace UHF TX driver transistor. Dealer also mentioned signs of overheating around the PA and has fitted a "heatsink pad". Sounds like a mod for heat issues. No problem at all with my dealer, but I'm losing faith in the radio.

OE3JTB Rating: 0/5 Oct 5, 2013 14:40 Send this review to a friend
only for one qso, than died  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a new KGUV920P-E, at the beginning everthing was fine, good receiver and good modulation.
After a few time, my repeaters stopped answering, SWR meter shows 8.7 A input, but no output power. Where is the hidden TX dummy load?
I am not alone, several yahoo group members have the same troubles.....

WB7RJO Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 06:28 Send this review to a friend
great company support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a WOUXUN KG-UV920R through Amazon.com. The radio had a delay of 5 to 30 seconds after the PTT button was pushed before it started to transmit and it was quite hot when transmitting. I contacted WOUXUN online and got an immediate response. They had me try several fixes and finally concluded that the final amplifier transistor had failed. They sent me a new circuit board and chassis via air freight at no cost to me. I was initially disappointed with the radio but it now works great. The WOUXUN company has excellent and very timely support and I highly recommend them.
Art Small WB7RJO

VE3KVD Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Working perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The KGUV920P-A was worth waiting for the only problem was the programming cable did not work, but programming manually was actually faster than my typing on the computer, put in 160 channels in about 3/4 of hour watching TV. I did get a new cable and it worked. I like the speaker mic good audio and saves mounting a speaker. The price was hard to beat about three to four hundred cheaper than an other dual band Icom which works only about $75 better. I have not noticed any intermod on this radio and I can program and change most funtions without the manual and that's amazing.

KI6RJW Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2013 09:44 Send this review to a friend
P- version  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The P version is the one that meets the new narrow-banding requirements.

KH6TA Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2013 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Bought one cheap on Ebay, bought another 2 new  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

CONS:

1. If you rotate the frequency encoder (like VFO), it does not step frequency with each click, however,frequency always steps when done with the mic up/dn buttons. Not a big deal for me, but Wouxun needs to improve these.

2. Voice prompt/beep doesn't always work, good 7 of 10 times, still not a big deal, but needs to be fixed in a revision.

3. Scanning is a bit slow, maybe should allow slow/fast setting in revision.

PROS:

1. 50W out VHF/40W out UHF in US Ham Bands, only slightly lower on GMRS/VFD frequencies.

2. NO objectionable intermod heard on either band, however, there was some intermod when driving near a hospital (paging), same on previous Kenwood and Alinco radios.

3. This radio is easily programmed manually, even on the fly once you get a little familiar with it.

4. I really like the ability to have different backlighting for Tx/Rx

5. I like that it has narrow-band capability built in. This is a big plus!

6. Remote mount/panel angle adapters allow more mounting selections of the remote head.

7. Lighted keypad on mic. No other radio I have had has this, and I love it!

8. Dual speaker setting for mobile ops really enhances being able to hear what is being received better.

There are more plusses as well a a few more minuses also, but overall, I really like this radio. It looks very similar to the V71 (really!),
the display is bold, well-lit and easy to read. The radio has a nice design. I think that most issues are that it programs different than most other radios, and many hams can't get past the "Chinglish" manual & instructions, and just don't opt to spend the time needed to really learn how to operate it.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 was due to the CONS that I listed. I would buy another one, and I recommend it as a replacement radio for anyone who will take a little time to learn how to operate this model.

Bottom line: NOT PERFECT, but are excellent if you can get past the nuances. I have owned Wouxun HT's for 3 years now, and the experience has been great. Kudos to Wouxun, I'm sure they are working to correct some of the production issues the initial-release 920R exibits.

GW1MCD Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2013 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Poor Excuse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased based on paper specification. What a "Big" mistake. I agree with most of previous comments.Receivers "Wide Open", hoards of white noise on almost everything under S9.All in all a horrid excuse.Managed to sell it, having lost a big lump of money. Just purchased a Kenwood TM-V71E, which I should have done in the 1st. place. Having been Licenced for 29 Years I really should have known better!.