Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-990S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-990S
Kenwood TS-990S Reviews: 105 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $7999
Description: Kenwood FLAGSHIP TS-990S has arrived. Kenwoods sets a new preformance and operating standard for the ultimate Amateur Transceiver. Advanced KENWOOD technologies deliver a Top-End receive and transmitt experience on Amateur Bands 160 Mtr to 6 Mtrs. Kenwood proudly adds the 990S to its trendsetting TS series!
More info: http://kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-990S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-990S.

W3ULS Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Firmware Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kenwood has just released a major, comprehensive firmware update for its flagship rig.

Among new features, the CW encode/decode feature stands out. Also some neat options have been added to the band scope's functions, which already were pretty impressive.

With regard to the band scope, my impression is Kenwood's software engineers have worked to bring the TS-990S' band scope functions in line with the newer TS-890S. The latter have been the subject of a rave review by Rob Sherwood (KC0B), who says the TS-890S' band scope in S&P contest mode bests the new Icom IC-7610 "hands down." High praise indeed.

Back in June 2015, I wrote an initial review of the TS-990S saying it was an excellent rig but I didn't lie the ergonomics or the manual.

Well, I've come to use the radio a lot so the ergonomics are no longer an issue. As to the manual, the Kenwood web site no longer offers the original manual as a download; it appears a brand-new version will be forthcoming.

All in all, the updated 990S is a gas, as we used to say.

LU7BSE Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2018 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Awesome, the quality of Kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months

The quality of Kenwood above all !, It is a heavy radio and it has everything that has to have a top range of these characteristics, quality in RX the best audio of any equipment, AWESOME TX !!! For the audio process ESSB through the OPTICAL input No noise or impedance adapters, Far the best equipment I had in my table, here there are no mysteries if you like the real DX there is no other like it.
If you like to be told "what impressive audio is broadcasting" !!!! This is the radio.
Thanks Kenwood for making RADIOS of Truth and not Toys for children!
73'

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2018 17:54 Send this review to a friend
A great Radio for the Kenwood lover!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these. I traded the first one for an FTdx-9000 PEP with SP9000 speaker, extra receiver, all u-tune modules and built in scope. After a period of trying to convince myself I made the deal of a lifetime I got serious with myself and realized I had made a terrible mistake. I Sold it to a Ham in the Philippines. A person likes what they like. For me, even with a few short-comings, I like Kenwood Rigs. I have no instruments like Rob Sherwood at my shack to measure percentages of differences that only they can see. Neither do I care. I care about what my ears hear and the enjoyment of pushing buttons and twisting knobs. As I have replaced my first TS-990 with a new one going on about two years, the magic is back. SDR's are the next faze. Before long the antenna connection will weigh more than a new rig. The TS990 is not for everyone. But to those that like quality without that cheap feeling and full bodied Kenwood Audio you won't go wrong. I can find no faults with it! 73's

M0NGO Rating: 3/5 Aug 3, 2018 16:58 Send this review to a friend
For the eye, not the ear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the TS990S for five years. In those five years I have switched on the radio less and less. Prior to the TS990, I owned a Yaesu FTDX5000 and I really enjoyed that radio, which produced a very listenable tone and had the best DSP for my ears, but traded it in to have 'the best' Kenwood on the market.

The TS990 has all the functionality a radio operator 'needs' and more. It's not that complicated to use once you have spent some time with it, but in the five years I have always found the audio to be harsh on the ear. I persevered with tried different settings, but always there is a harshness to the audio which made operating tiring. In addition, the noise reduction was not a patch on the Yaesu noise reduction.

In time, I stopped using the 990. So I decided to let the TS990 go and I am returning back to the fuller and quieter audio of the FTDX5000 and enjoy looking for the signals with my ears!

N4DCD Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2018 01:27 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had two of these radios and they perform great! Nice big radio, impressive to look at, ergonomically easy to use and a great performer both in TX and RX. All I can say is, things like the Sherwood review does not tell the entire story. As a guide yes, but do not take the details of the list as gospel. You can bet that the reviews are not random.

K2AGZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2018 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Overkill for the average ham  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had to try this rig, one week after I had it realized it was way more than I needed. For most hams this radio is overkill, for the price I did not feel it was warranted. On the plus side it is not that intimidating to operate and the versatility is amazing if you need it. For me the receiver was not noticeable better than my Orion II or even my 590SG. But I am not into contests and I am sure that it would shine there. My advice is to make sure you need the bells and whistles before you spend, I sold and was able to buy two radios to replace it!

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2018 15:46 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE again TS990s  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used this radio for 2 1/2 years. am still very happy with it, WHY, I just do SSB 10m 17m 20m 40m 75m & 160m mostly the last lower 3 bands, using 200w or less, but do use a ACOM 1500 on 160m in the mornings, always seem to get me through to other stations. Use a cheap $45 condenser mike brough off of eBay, its small enough to set by the radio on the night stand, just use the radio's speaker, that works for me, sometimes I use headphones when there's QRN, but don't have to if I don't want to. Have owned lots of radios, before the TS990s. A TS590sg, TS590s, A Yaesu FT9000D (3) FT5000s a FT3000D a FT1200 an (3) FT950 an some ICOM radios the IC7600 a IC756PRO3 a ICOM 756PRO and (2) FT920 a Kenwood 430 all these radios served me well an liked them all. Liked the TS590s
an the Yeasu FT5000s best, behind the TS990s because I kept them longest, also liked liked the FT9000D a great deal, but sold it
because of a back problem, could not sit in a chair for over 3+ months, did not know If I would ever be able to again, an that radio was a lots of GREEN STAMPS so I sold it but a great radio no less in its own right. Can tune the TS990s with my 6 wire antennas I use to hear any station great the radio will hear well most anytime, weather the band is in or out. This time of year in AZ is a very good time for long shot DX on 40-80-160m with TS990S, you never know for sure but hope this radio is in my shack for many more years. Am Very HAPPY.......kb6hrt

M0VPL Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2018 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having this radio some 6 months I can compare only to what i have had before it, IC-7800mk2 IC-7700 Kenwood 950 FT-2000 IC-pro3 and more. this is one outstanding transceiver, but as with all things and radio's of the modern age you have to learn to drive it first, read than manual then read it again. this can do many things to make your use of the TS-990s much more enjoyable if you know how to use it. The layout was strange coming from the well layed out front panel of the IC-7800mk2 but after the initial getting used to it phase i now like the layout. everything is at hand and you can tailor the filters to suit your needs. the audio from it is outstanding, Kenwood quality like rigs of old. this is my best radio experience by far and i cant see the IC-7851 being twice the price better. well done Kenwood you have a very good radio in the TS-990s

M0KZX Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2017 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Stunning radio that offers great value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my 990 approximately 6 months now and have only been extremely impressed with its ease of use and performance.
I could spend pages and pages describing how amazing the receivers and filtering are. I could yak on bout the performance of the dsp/dnr, and I could tell you that the transmit audio is spot on.

Although not a cheap radio when you weigh up the performance V cost compared to other radios it offers very good value. I spent a long time looking at radios in this price bracket and quickly found the Kenwood wins hands down.

OH2KW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2017 11:17 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this now more than three years.
Very good radio, no failures and works fine.

I am surprised e.g. VE3GZB comments of the RTTY
reception. In my tests TS-990 decoder is the best! Better than MMTTY and 2TONE!

Of course there are some features that I would like to be added from Kenwood:
- TX tune signal (for solid state linear tuning)
- CW decoder (as its already in TS-590SG)
- IF out to DRV (as in TS-590SG, but might need HW mods?)
- better NR functiosn (now quite as in TS-2000 so rather old algorithms with "watering effect")

73 de Arto, OH2KW