Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-891 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-891
MFJ-891 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: "GIANT" Cross-needle SWR/PWR meter covering 1.6 to 60 mhz. Three power levels (20, 200, 2000 watts). Active Peak Reading and Average metering. LED back lighting. 3-5/8" meter.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-891

You can write your own review of the MFJ-891.

W8HK Rating: 0/5 Jan 1, 2019 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Junk, junk and junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this thing from Amazon (from Gigaparts) for $120. WILL NOT read an accurate SWR. Both the radio and tuner give a 1.1.1; this POS gives a >6.
Cross needle on the tuner and this hunk of junk aren't even close. Getting a refund.

K3MD Rating: 2/5 Aug 6, 2018 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Not good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered mine to replace my peak-reading Heathkit HM-102, since I moved my Coaxial Dynamics wattmeter over to 2M KW position. My first meter was OK, except, in the CW/RTTY mode of the rig, with peak-reading feature enabled, reflected power reading erratically increased and decreased. I got a replacement direct from MFJ, and the replacement meter did the same thing, even with a continuous carrier. This a design flaw due to a leaky capacitor or something similar in the reflected peak-reading circuit. Sold to a friend for $20, a $90 loss.

KB9ERU Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2018 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perhaps I got one of the decent ones. So far, so good.

It seems to agree with I compare it to the other watt meters that I own, and with the built in SWR meter on the FT-450D.

N8FVJ Rating: 0/5 Jul 2, 2017 07:15 Send this review to a friend
More Bad News  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Found out if into an almost perfect SWR, the peak watt functions seems to be close. However, when into a 2 to 1 SWR it reads about 20 watts vs the 140 watts it should read.

I get rid if it and bought a Yaesu YS-60. I will never lose money again on MFJ products.

N8FVJ Rating: 2/5 Jun 1, 2017 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Low Power Scale Useless  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have to revise my excellent review of MFJ-891 watt meter. During testing I use 200 watt scale and meter performed ok.

I recently tried it on a CB radio. The low scale is about useless as it appears the meter needs more power than a 4 watt output CB provides.

I ran a 1.8 to 1 SWR and meter showed about 2 watts out. Then, I placed thru a tuner for flat SWR and got no power reading at all. I changed to low scale calibration inside meter to show 4 watts at flat SWR. When I placed on same antenna without the tuner. It showed 20 watts out with 1.8 SWR.

Bottom line- meter is useless on the 20 watt scale.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2016 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The MFJ-891 is a good meter. It is not a Bird, but for $100 is good as any meter in this category. It reads fairly accurate RNS average watts & PEP watts plus SWR. Large face is easy to read. What more do you want for $100? That is why I rate it a 5.
I believe MFJ gets low rating just because it is MFJ. MFJ does build some good products.

W7MY Rating: 3/5 Feb 8, 2015 09:15 Send this review to a friend
OK, sort of...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a repackaged Jetstream JTWXHF SWR bridge with a MFJ label but the Jetstream JTWXHF get better reviews.

The good.
1- Big meter easy to read
2- Great back lighting LED
3- Three power ranges

The bad.
1- The manual is totally useless
2- No schematic, anywhere to be found
3- The meter zero drifts
4- The PEP reading does not work without external power, not stated in the manual

The meter is very usable as-is and the large lighted display is good. Without a schematic, you will not be able to repair or calibrate the meter if you need to.

N4QT Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2015 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Well made accurate meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just replaced an old auteck swr meter with this new MFJ 891 meter. Seems to be as accurate as my old auteck which was known for being very accurate. Not made in miss. Like most MFJ products it's made in Taiwan ! Seems to be well made. I like the big meter even though it's a cross needle meter.its easy to read good peak reading meter . No stray RF problems. So far so good. No problems with this meter.

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice Big Display  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this huge meter. It is accurate for me and works as it should. I like that they now use an LED for the backlight. I have never had a problem with MFJ products. I actually took this meter apart before I put it inline just to make sure everything looked good. Other review made me nervous. Everything checked out.

What more can I say. It's a meter that works as advertised and is really easy to see, which is important to me. I love it. The backlight actually matches my Icom 7410.

The price cannot be beat. I am a fan of the many MFJ products. I think they are filling a very important role in ham radio. They have so many different accessories. I hope they are around for a very long time and continue their innovative product line.

AB9CA Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
MFJ quality control strikes again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Further to my review down the page . . . mine started acting up again, this time when running into a dummy load. I took it apart again and found that I had earlier overlooked the fact that the wire running from the DC power connector in the back to the ckt board in the front was not soldered at the power connector. There was solder on the connector and on the wire. However, there was also an air gap in between the two. Resoldered that, of course.

As of now it seems to be working OK. Not great. There is about a 5% difference between the 'Peak' and the 'Avg' reading on 10m. Looks like a freq response issue since this happens only on the higher bands. It also reads lower than my other meters, but not by a whole lot. It appears to indicate SWR reasonably well. Keep in mind that this one does not cost much. You tend to get what you pay for. I suspect the Elecraft W2, at twice the price, does better.

And I also found that the 'Avg' setting does not require DC power for operation. In that setting the meter is an ordinary, non-active, SWR/Pwr meter. Dunno if this is standard industry practice for so called 'active' meters or not.