Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | The Radiosmith Help

Reviews Summary for The Radiosmith
The Radiosmith Reviews: 40 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Expert repairs and restoration for all brands (Collins, Drake, Icom, Kenwood, Ten-Tec, Yaesu, and Others) of vintage and modern ham radio equipment including linear amplifiers, station accessories, OEM power supplies and Astron power supplies by a degreed Electrical Engineer who has been a licensed ham (20 WPM Extra Class) for over 38 years. For more information, contact The Radiosmith via email at: radiosmith@verizon.net

You can write your own review of the The Radiosmith.

AL6G Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2018 19:56 Send this review to a friend
FT-897D repair. Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why should somebody ship their radio over 3,000 miles to get repaired?
The answer, so that it's done right.
Steve keeps you informed and explains your options. Uses high quality components and is very knowledgable with outstanding workmanship.I'm very satisfied with
my decision to ship my radio to the Radiosmith.

K1FK Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2018 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service - OMNI VI/Opt 3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my 25+ year OMNI VI Opt 3 to Steve with a very unusual problem that I had been coping with for several years - excessive power output (200+ watts with PWR control full CW) and no ALC Control on all bands, incorrect PWR/SWR/Ic metering and an additional problem of NO transmit on 10m (12m was OK). Steve extended considerable time and did a yeoman’s job in returning my rig to factory specifications and performed a complete alignment. His work is top-notch professional quality and his labor rate is unbeatable for repair of TenTec and other vintage equipment. I have referred Steve to others previously and he has never disappointed any of those whom I referred. Thank you Steve.

WO4K Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2018 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service   Time owned: more than 12 months
Steve is indeed as good as these reviews say. I needed some assistance with my Johnson Viking II. Steve did a great job of not only fixing the immediate problem, but also diagnosing and correcting the root cause of the the issue so it doesn't reoccur. As mentioned in other reviews here, his rates are reasonable. Perhaps more importantly, Steve's work is thorough and the workmanship is excellent. I highly recommend The Radiosmith.

W3VLF Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2018 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Best Service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sent Steve two receivers in the last few months, one was a newly acquired Mckay Dymek DR22C which wasn't getting a signal from it's antenna input. He diagnosed and solved the problem and gave it an alignment, working beautifully! The other was my favorite rx, a Bearcat DX-1000 where the manual tuning knob froze up. Now it's a breeze to bandscan with it, much better than before. In fact, these tuning knobs are known for being off center from the start, but this one isn't anymore as it turns very smoothly now.
Great communication all the way through as well. I don't think you'll ever find a better service technician than The Radiosmith!

N1LQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2018 09:26 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My beloved 29 year old Ten Tec Corsair II needed some issues addressed and a full alignment. So after researching possible service options I decided to ship the rig to Steve the Radiosmith in Clearwater FLA. His many reviews on both eHam and eBay are stellar.

After two weeks in his shop, the rig arrived back home. As I told Steve, the result of his work is far greater than my expectations of what would result. Every single operating facet of this radio is now spot on, as if it were new from the factory 29 years ago. His workmanship, his price and his communications during the process were all remarkable. As a result, two more Ten Tec rigs in my collection (Steve also services other makes also) will be headed his way very shortly.

We all want quality work, fair pricing and quick turn-around. With the Radiosmith I got all three. IMO Steve is the best. 73 de N1LQ - Dave

WB5JWI Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2018 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent work   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Gave a 5 because nothing higher! Excellent work, best communications from any vendor, came in under estimate. Identified several problems of which I was unaware (missed by Ten Tec service btw) and sent my Corsair back in beautiful shape.

Highest recommendation if you need work on your rig. I hope I don't need him again but if I have rig problems in the future, I'll certainly call him first.

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2018 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Steve my TenTec Scout which was not transmitting, but received OK. He determined that the unit did transmit and that there might be something wrong with my installation. Yet he went ahead and did a full service of this little jewel that I use exclusively on 40 meter CW. I later determined that I had an intermittent cable problem. Great customer service; Steve kept me informed of his work progress.

I have been hoping to find an alternative to TenTec service center, and Steve is it! I am recalling my Omni VII from TenTec repair (busted display) so I can send it to The Radiosmith.

K5NCO Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2018 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Omni VI Plus was down in the dumps and Radiosmith did a great job of bringing it back to life. Great communications, reasonable price, tenacious in his search for the problem and quick response time! Couldn't ask for more. I may be sending him th Argo 556 next! KD5GCX (former K5NCO).

W0WSA Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2018 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Steve my FT-897D for diagnosis and it took him no time at all to get me a very in-depth explanation of what was wrong and what it needed. Ultimately the repairs would have been more than the value of the radio, and on his advice I opted-out of repairs and got a refund on the radio from the seller so I can put the money towards new rigs. Combined with all the advice and answers he's given me he has saved me from a lot of potential headaches. Definitely a great guy to deal with, his rates are reasonable, and he has been a valuable source of information. If I ever need anything diagnosed or repaired again, I'll definitely be sending it off to Steve.

K5TN Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2018 12:01 Send this review to a friend
The RadioSmith does it again!! This time, an Omni VI!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As promised, I sent my 1995 vintage Ten-Tec Omni VI Option 3 down to Florida for Steve to give it an alignment....after all, it is 23 years old. I was thrilled when I got it back in line. It was hotter than a two dollar pistol on receive!! I thought it had a great receiver before, but this was amazing!! Let me tell you, if you have a rig with a bug, or just think it needs an alignment, give Steve a shout, you'll be glad you did!! And so will your radio!! A week or so in Florida will do you both good!!