Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | The Radiosmith Help

Reviews Summary for The Radiosmith
The Radiosmith Reviews: 43 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Expert repairs and restoration for all brands (Collins, Drake, Icom, Kenwood, Ten-Tec, Yaesu, and Others) of vintage and modern ham radio equipment including linear amplifiers, station accessories, OEM power supplies and Astron power supplies by a degreed Electrical Engineer who has been a licensed ham (20 WPM Extra Class) for over 38 years. For more information, contact The Radiosmith via email at: radiosmith@verizon.net

You can write your own review of the The Radiosmith.

K5NCO Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2018 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Omni VI Plus was down in the dumps and Radiosmith did a great job of bringing it back to life. Great communications, reasonable price, tenacious in his search for the problem and quick response time! Couldn't ask for more. I may be sending him th Argo 556 next! KD5GCX (former K5NCO).

W0WSA Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2018 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Steve my FT-897D for diagnosis and it took him no time at all to get me a very in-depth explanation of what was wrong and what it needed. Ultimately the repairs would have been more than the value of the radio, and on his advice I opted-out of repairs and got a refund on the radio from the seller so I can put the money towards new rigs. Combined with all the advice and answers he's given me he has saved me from a lot of potential headaches. Definitely a great guy to deal with, his rates are reasonable, and he has been a valuable source of information. If I ever need anything diagnosed or repaired again, I'll definitely be sending it off to Steve.

K5TN Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2018 12:01 Send this review to a friend
The RadioSmith does it again!! This time, an Omni VI!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As promised, I sent my 1995 vintage Ten-Tec Omni VI Option 3 down to Florida for Steve to give it an alignment....after all, it is 23 years old. I was thrilled when I got it back in line. It was hotter than a two dollar pistol on receive!! I thought it had a great receiver before, but this was amazing!! Let me tell you, if you have a rig with a bug, or just think it needs an alignment, give Steve a shout, you'll be glad you did!! And so will your radio!! A week or so in Florida will do you both good!!

KC9WUV Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2017 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Great job on my Coursair II, and other Ten Tec rigs .   Time owned: more than 12 months
There is not enough great things I can say about Steve's work. This is the 4th radio I have sent there over the years. First was a tt 544 , then an Argonaut II , next there was the Omni model C , then my Coursair II. They all had their share of issues.
( I have come to believe that most that say " working condition " Mean that the thing lights up when turned on .)

He will explain every option. Go over to the detail of his plan for repair . The prices are very fair IMHO.
I believe he takes every rig that he works on personal. He treats them like his own . He doesn't believe in " Good Enough" . Its right or it isn't . It will stay as long as it takes to make it right .
In me he has a customer for life .

KY1KY Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2017 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Great job on Yaesu FL-101 transmitter resurrection  Time owned: months
Steve (Radiosmith) did a great job bringing the Yaesu FL-101 half of my Yaesu Twins back to life. I had purchased the set as a "working" station but in fact the FL had multiple issues. Steve went through it, correcting several issues & now she's good as new. Radiosmith is a great choice if you're needing service on your vintage gear. Thanks Steve.

WD8MQD Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great repairs done on a Sony ICF-6800W worldband receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve (The Radiosmith) does great work. I sent him a Sony ICF-6800W that had several issues. He kept me informed at each step of the process. He resolved all the issues and now I have a radio that works well, as it was designed to. It is not easy to find a service technician for some of the older radios out there - I am glad I found The Radiosmith. All of his reviews are positive, and that is because he knows what he is doing and does it well. I look forward to obtaining his service again in the future.

W4RAR Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2017 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Corsair II repaired and aligned   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a Ten-Tec Corsair II on a bid site that had a display problem sent Steve an email asking him about the process of sending it to him, he replied that he wasn't taking on any new work due to a family crisis. long story short he had to leave town.
Three to four weeks pass he tells me he's back and that he has lots of work to catch up on but that I could send the radio and he would evaluate it and let me know what he could do.
Steve let me know and gave estimate on parts labor via email. I had a few questions I needed to ask him about filters in the radio and some stuff I didn't quite understand about the radio so I ask if he would give me a call (I was driving and didn't wanna forget the questions) within the hour my phone rang he answered all of my questions and I was telling him about getting the radio off ebay and informed him I didn't have a power supply I ended up buying a 961 PS off of him. we ended up talking about our history in Amateur radio likes dislike I'm a 20 WPM extra also so we talked about key's and a number of things.
He kept me informed every step of the way and the labor came in shorter than the estimate so he
deducted that much from the final bill.
I told him on the phone that I found him through the eham reviews and I'm sure Glad I did he'll be getting more of my business in the future.It's like having a good friend thats a service tech

WA4HWN Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2017 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Truly great!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Ten Tec Eagle (a super radio!) that crashed and my desire was to find someone who would work on Ten Tec radios other than Ten Tec, which is slow about getting the 'new' company off the ground. I heard about The Radiosmith from another Ten Tec owner and I was given an email address for him.

I emailed him, learned he was out of the country for an undetermined length of time and I had a great conversation with his wife, via telephone. She assured me he would be glad to work on the radio upon his return. I waited 3 weeks and believe me it was well worth it. After a great phone conversation with Steve, I shipped it off to him.

This guy is phenomenal. He replaced the finals and aligned the radio (which was off frequency by 30 Hz at 40 meters and 200 Hz at 6 meters) and he kept me informed of everything he found and everything he did. I got the radio back exactly 2 weeks from the shipping date and it is just like new.

His rates are very reasonable, too!
Would I use his services again?
You Betcha!
Great work Steve!

AA1DV Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2017 14:25 Send this review to a friend
A 5 in every respect   Time owned: months
Always there to answer all your questions as far as ten tec goes better than any service at factory

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 21:37 Send this review to a friend
outstand service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Steve a Corsair 2 that had some serious operating shortcomings. Steve kept me informed all along the way. His determination and obsession to repair my Corsair 2 was in the fashion that we usually don't see today. Upon receiving the rig back I thought I must have a different radio, which in fact I did. His repair rates are extremely fair. The owner of any vintage Ten Tec should consult him for repairs. Smiley WB4EDB