Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by NA4RR Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by NA4RR
Hexbeam: by NA4RR Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $450
Description: The hexagonal beam antenna is built around the improved
broadband design by G3TXQ. Features air coaxial center post
made from aluminum and stainless steel hardware. The spreaders
are fiberglass tubes and support cords are made of kevlar
covered with UV resistant Dacron. All wire sets are 14ga 168
strand Flexweave™ and are pre-measured for simple assembly.
This is a plug and play antenna with no tuning or cutting of
elements required.
More info: http://www.hexagonalbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by NA4RR.

N9AJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2018 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the NA4RR hexbeam and BA-8 balun in February 2016. Created a very simple installation consisting of a Rohn pushup pole 9H50 with a Yaesu G-800DXA at the base of the pole. The beam is at a very modest 23 feet.

Per Bob’s recommendations, I painted the fiberglass spreaders before assembly. Assembly was a breeze. All components are excellent quality. Instructions are clear. SWRs on all bands was fine.

I broke a couple spreaders when lowering it before hurricane Irma hit in September 2017 but Bob sells replacement parts so I was able to do the repairs and reassembly without a hitch.

I’ve truly enjoyed it’s performance and completely recommend it.

In the spring of 2018 I added an ERC Mini computer interface to the Yeasu along with PstRotator software. These additions have upped my NA4RR hexbeam enjoyment to a whole new level.

K4ML Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2018 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Now, this is SERIOUS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third hexagonal beam antenna, and by far the best built and best performing hex I have ever used. The NA4RR hex is beautifully made, has SWR of less than 1.5:1 on all six bans (at my location) and was a breeze to assemble - in less than an hour. And, Holy DX Batman, it is some kinda quiet! Given its construction, this antenna will be in the air a long, long time. The only thing extra I did was to spray the fiberglass spreaders with flat black UV-resistant paint before assembly. Has the added advantage of making the antenna nearly disappear once up in the air. Even at this low ebb in the sunspot cycle, I get DX on the first or second call with my 100 watts.

Some context:
I was intrigued by Leo Shoemaker K4KIO's Hexagonal beam article in March 2009 QST. Following his instructions, I built the 5-band G3TXQ hexagonal beam, homebrew. Worked very nicely! Two years later, severe wind shear damaged it and I built an improved version using great parts from DX Engineering and MaxGain Systems. Nice improvement: sturdier and even better performance. In early 2018 I saw the NA4RR hex up close up and knew I had to have one. While it is truly plug-n-play, it was the quality of the components and construction that blew me away. Take it from a guy who's been around the block with hex beams, you won't be disappointed.
Ron, K4ML, North Carolina

K4DSP Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Constructed of high quality materials, the NA4RR hexagonal beam is an easy-to-assemble, lightweight, low wind load antenna. I have mine mounted at 60 feet, and find it to be an excellent performer at that height. Recommended.

KK4CRY Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2018 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Bought and assemble  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love the hexbeam. Love it some much i promoted it locally. And few (8 Local amateurs) purchased the same Hexbeam.

N4CQD Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2018 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many HF Antennas in my 20+ years as an Amateur Radio Operator. But without a doubt, the Hexbeam by NA4RR is the BEST rotatable HF Antenna Ive ever had. I punch through DX pileups without any trouble, and I use 100 watts.... NO AMPLIFIER!

KB3CUR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2018 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Exelllent support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased hexbeam br na4rr over a year ago. Great beam for the price. I give na4rr koodos for his excellent support of his product. We had very severe high winds in our area that broke part or the beam. I called na4rr about the problem. He told me to ship the part to him and he would repair it. Sent it to him and all I had to pay was shipping.
Thanks Bill for your excellent service and a great product. Will buy from you again if needed. Ron kb3cur

K4FLH Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2018 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Totally Blown Away  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a number of QSO's with stations running the hex beam. I was impressed with what I was hearing. So I started doing research as to quality of materials, ease of construction, and "bang for the buck" and decided on the NA4RR Hex beam was the best deal going.
After unpacking and separating the parts,it took me less that an hour to build the antenna and I did most of the work sitting in a power chair.
I mounted the antenna on a tilt plate made by NN4ZZ (NN4ZZ.COM) for mounting hex beams on tilt over towers and cranked her up. It sits exactly 50 ft. AGL, measured to the bottom of the mounting plate.
The differences were immediately noticeable and over the past 4 months that I've owned it, I have been continually pleased and surprised with what I hear and the reports I get coming back to me!
I highly recommend to anyone thinking of buying a Hex Beam buy one of these by NA4RR. And get one of NN4ZZ's tilt plates to aid in getting the antenna in the air!

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2017 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I purchased the antenna at the end of last year but just got around to erecting it last week. Assembly was simple and only took about 15 minutes. It's sitting on a 20' mast with a Yaesu rotor at the bottom of the mast.

I had quite a few stateside QSO's and the first thing I noticed was how quiet the antenna was. I switched between a long wire and the hex and while the wire showed about 3 S units of noise the hex and 0 noise. That alone made a huge difference.

I took a look at a cluster and made contacts with England and Costa Rica on my first try both with 59's. My QTH is Milford CT. However this past Sunday is when I became a true believer. I saw ST69JOTA from Sudan was on 20m. I turned the hex toward him and I could here him at 55. I made one call and he came back to me with a 55. That's a ATNO for me with lousy conditions and the hex is only at 20'!!

Absolutely the best bang for your buck. Love it. Thanks so much for a great product!

PS: just this morning logged Canary Islands with a 59.

WU7X Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2017 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Simple, elegant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In typical fashion I'm getting back into ham radio after a near decade long slump. Long gone are the 52' crank up tower and SteppIR antenna. I wanted something a bit simpler this time.

This Hexbeam has to be the easiest antenna I have ever put together. I took my time and did it right. I started with three coats of flat black rattle can paint on the spreaders, waited a couple days and followed the instructions from there. Although pretty big, the finished antenna is very light and my daughter and I were able to mount it to a Yaesu 450a rotator on the top of a Heights 32' tower. I used the winch on my truck to lift the hinged tower upright, connected all the cables and checked out the VSWRs. One spot at 21.4 mHz was at 1.4:1. Everything else on the HF bands is 1.1-1.3:1. That's almost scary! 50 mHz was a bit higher.

The Yaesu spins this antenna effortlessly. At this point in the solar cycle and time of year, I've only used 17 and 20 meters, but have been very happy with the results. I have not tested F/B yet, but S/S seems to be pretty good; signals drop off as the beam is rotated away from them.

I'll update this review next spring after I've had the chance to give it a good workout.

KM4SEG Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2017 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Hex Beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of the simplest installations I have encountered (including non-radio), reminded me of building a tent, but easier. Bill is great to work with, and answers all questions. Decided to paint the Hex flat black, and was able to get it mounted at about 45FT with a fan dipole and VHF/UHF vertical on the same tower. Had it up a few weeks now, and getting great reports in places I have never worked before (i.e. 5/9, big signal etc.) with only 100 watts. Receive improvement is about 2DB over the dipole, and sometimes more. This is a great antenna, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get a solid multi-band directional in the air.