Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by NA4RR Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by NA4RR
Hexbeam: by NA4RR Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $450
Description: The hexagonal beam antenna is built around the improved
broadband design by G3TXQ. Features air coaxial center post
made from aluminum and stainless steel hardware. The spreaders
are fiberglass tubes and support cords are made of kevlar
covered with UV resistant Dacron. All wire sets are 14ga 168
strand Flexweave™ and are pre-measured for simple assembly.
This is a plug and play antenna with no tuning or cutting of
elements required.
More info: http://www.hexagonalbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by NA4RR.

K3DFL Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2019 03:34 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this antenna. If you decide to paint the fiberglass arms I would strongly suggest that you blue tape the end that goes into the metal base. I spray painted all arms but it took a little extra effort to get it in the base.

SWR is superb. It can be a bit unwieldy to place the antenna on a rotor if you are working alone.

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2019 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Great HEX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Swapped out Force 12 C19XR 3 band tri-bander for 6 band NA4RR HEX beam. No brainer! Went together smoothly. View the build video on site Internet and RTFM (both twice). SWR 1.5:1 all 6 bands at 65 feet. Worked 10 DX stations next day on 20 meters with 50 watts and FT 101E. Will update review with more experience with the HEX.

John K4ZNC

N7PMS Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2019 15:38 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for over two years. Last year a wind storm snapped my Yaesu 450 rotator in half and brought down the antenna. I replaced two broken spreaders and never looked back. It is a great antenna in my opinion.

WD8KND Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2019 02:41 Send this review to a friend
It takes a Lickin and keeps on Tickin  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up on an earlier post. (See WD8KND a little further down the page)
I have now owned this antenna for 4 years. I just finished repairing the damage that another falling branch did during a high wind storm.(This is the 4th time)I lowered it down, repaired the tip of one of the fiberglass poles, and I was back up and running. This branch was 6' tall, and about 2" in diameter. Today I worked Taiwan, long path, on 20 meter SSB, using 450 watts. I got a 56 report. This, mind you, is at the bottom of this sunspot cycle. This antenna really works. Mine is only 35' high. Go to WD8KND.com to see pictures. Other than these falling branches, I've not had a single failure with this antenna.

K9BHP Rating: 2/5 Mar 1, 2019 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna but needs improvement  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi
No doubt, this antenna has been performing to my satisfaction. Lately though I began to have issues with the center post, that cracked at the bottom.
A ham I know had these thoughts on the Hexbeam, after I explained my problems to him with the center post having broken off:

I looked over the construction video of the NA4RR beam. I see now why thats such a weak connection at the hub. Its unfortunate that NA4RR wasn't able to construct a round feed point vertical section to sleeve into the base. Its such a weak point, Ill bet all of them that fail always fail at the same point. Thats too bad, it otherwise looks like a fairly sound setup. That flaw reminds me of the old vertical CB antennas that were crimped together rather then threaded and screwed together. Wind movement of it whipping around is always going to loosen that crimp. I see the same thing happening to the hub to feed connection on that HEX. Those aluminum rivets are always going to loosen and cause motion leading to failure and cracking of the aluminum at the base. There is always stress at that section as you can see with the feed point being pulled to the front of the antenna. I like the use of the rings under the clamp a little better then the wire clamps I used for ease and reliability of the connection. No chance of the ring coming off the clamp like in the case of using the wire clamps that I used. I'm on the fence if its really better, because I see chaffing being a potential on the rings that I do not have on the wire clamps in windy areas. I see the ease in shipping on the fiberglass connection not being secured together on the spreaders, but every connection that moves is a potential failure point. Mine is epoxied together so water can not get in the connections end freeze causing splitting of the spreader. I like the way the hooks are used in the end of the spreaders along with the hose clamp. I like that a lot. If and when I build another one, I will use that method. I used an eye bolt screw threw the end of the spreader with a hose clamp at the very end to keep it from splitting and filling the end with epoxy.

K8WEE Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2018 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a few years back. Finally got to put it in the air. Right now its only at 30 feet but turned it east and worked all over Europe.I logged numerous countries and busted pile ups all over 20 meters. I am very happy with the antenna tuning on all six bands.

KF7YED Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2018 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my NA4RR hex beam in August while gathering tower materials. Got it mounted the first week in October and have been very pleased with the results so far. I also got the 40m add-on kit and everything went together flawlessly. All the pieces and sections were easy to identify and put together and he includes good quality stainless steel hardware. Customer service was very good-- a couple of minor emailed questions and I got an answer the same day. This is my first experience with a directional antenna of any kind so I'm probably easy to please, but it has definitely made a difference in my logbook.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2018 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I must thank NA4RR for excellent customer service. I purchased the antenna last month while the website had a notice that shipments would be delayed because of hurricane damage to their business facility. So I phoned him and he said he could send one out that week. Sure enough it arrived on the West Coast the next week!

Well constructed, especially the one-piece base, which unlike other designs doesn't use U-bolts to attach the spreaders. Frankly, the base design is what sold me on the NA4RR over the KIO...that and the fact that the RR included all 6 bands for $570 Including shipping.

I painted the spreaders for UV-longevity. Mask the base spreader ends or paint them AFTER they are slipped into the base as the mating clearance there is so close they won't fit if the sleeved portions are painted. This should be mentioned in the instructions, but it isn't.

Assembly is straightforward and quick. Most of the parts are pre-assembled and everything goes together in an hour or so, unlike the MFJ version, which looked like torture on KE0OG's on-line video review. No tuning adjustments needed.

It's up about 30' and easily turned by a G450A. F/B gain is amazing. This antenna hears better than my R8 and even my dipoles when oriented in the same direction, and I consistently receive better signal reports on the hexbeam. It really does perform as well as a 2-element monoband beam on each of it's bands.

One thing folks should be aware of is that this antenna is bigger than they might expect from photographs. It is smaller than a full-sized 20m Yagi tribander, but it does have an 11 foot turn radius. It weighs only about 20-25lbs, but can be tricky to balance as it's going up. And it does need to be guyed...

I can now dispense with several of my other antennas: the AEA isoloop; Alpha Delta DX-EE; and MFJ 1775. I'll still need my Alpha-Delta DX-DD for 80m/40m and I plan to keep the R8, which has served me for about 20 years.

In SUMMARY: You will not be able to find a better performing relatively compact easily assembled and erected directional antenna for anything like the price of the NA4RR.

A minor gripe is that 6 and 10 meter bandwidth is relatively restricted, but this is easy to fix with an antenna matching network.

N9AJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2018 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the NA4RR hexbeam and BA-8 balun in February 2016. Created a very simple installation consisting of a Rohn pushup pole 9H50 with a Yaesu G-800DXA at the base of the pole. The beam is at a very modest 23 feet.

Per Bob’s recommendations, I painted the fiberglass spreaders before assembly. Assembly was a breeze. All components are excellent quality. Instructions are clear. SWRs on all bands was fine.

I broke a couple spreaders when lowering it before hurricane Irma hit in September 2017 but Bob sells replacement parts so I was able to do the repairs and reassembly without a hitch.

I’ve truly enjoyed it’s performance and completely recommend it.

In the spring of 2018 I added an ERC Mini computer interface to the Yeasu along with PstRotator software. These additions have upped my NA4RR hexbeam enjoyment to a whole new level.

K4ML Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2018 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Now, this is SERIOUS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third hexagonal beam antenna, and by far the best built and best performing hex I have ever used. The NA4RR hex is beautifully made, has SWR of less than 1.5:1 on all six bans (at my location) and was a breeze to assemble - in less than an hour. And, Holy DX Batman, it is some kinda quiet! Given its construction, this antenna will be in the air a long, long time. The only thing extra I did was to spray the fiberglass spreaders with flat black UV-resistant paint before assembly. Has the added advantage of making the antenna nearly disappear once up in the air. Even at this low ebb in the sunspot cycle, I get DX on the first or second call with my 100 watts.

Some context:
I was intrigued by Leo Shoemaker K4KIO's Hexagonal beam article in March 2009 QST. Following his instructions, I built the 5-band G3TXQ hexagonal beam, homebrew. Worked very nicely! Two years later, severe wind shear damaged it and I built an improved version using great parts from DX Engineering and MaxGain Systems. Nice improvement: sturdier and even better performance. In early 2018 I saw the NA4RR hex up close up and knew I had to have one. While it is truly plug-n-play, it was the quality of the components and construction that blew me away. Take it from a guy who's been around the block with hex beams, you won't be disappointed.
Ron, K4ML, North Carolina