Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by NA4RR Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by NA4RR
Hexbeam: by NA4RR Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $450
Description: The hexagonal beam antenna is built around the improved
broadband design by G3TXQ. Features air coaxial center post
made from aluminum and stainless steel hardware. The spreaders
are fiberglass tubes and support cords are made of kevlar
covered with UV resistant Dacron. All wire sets are 14ga 168
strand Flexweave™ and are pre-measured for simple assembly.
This is a plug and play antenna with no tuning or cutting of
elements required.
More info: http://www.hexagonalbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by NA4RR.

K8WEE Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2018 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a few years back. Finally got to put it in the air. Right now its only at 30 feet but turned it east and worked all over Europe.I logged numerous countries and busted pile ups all over 20 meters. I am very happy with the antenna tuning on all six bands.

KF7YED Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2018 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my NA4RR hex beam in August while gathering tower materials. Got it mounted the first week in October and have been very pleased with the results so far. I also got the 40m add-on kit and everything went together flawlessly. All the pieces and sections were easy to identify and put together and he includes good quality stainless steel hardware. Customer service was very good-- a couple of minor emailed questions and I got an answer the same day. This is my first experience with a directional antenna of any kind so I'm probably easy to please, but it has definitely made a difference in my logbook.

WD8KND Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2018 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Using since March 2015  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is the best bang for your buck. I had a 4 ele yagi up for over 20 years, so I have something to compare to. My Hexbeam is at 35', and I've been able to work all the dxpeditions out there. This antenna has also proved to be very tough. I moved to a wooded area, and because of that I wasn't able to put my yagi back up. This antenna fit just fine. In the almost 4 years that it has been up, it has caught 3 large tree branches that fell from 100' oak trees that surround it. I've had to take the antenna down all 3 times to fix it, but have yet had to put a penny into those fixes. This is a very durable antenna. The amazing thing is that I achieved a swr of 1.5 or less on all bands, without doing a thing. If you are thinking about buying one, quit thinking and do it.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2018 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I must thank NA4RR for excellent customer service. I purchased the antenna last month while the website had a notice that shipments would be delayed because of hurricane damage to their business facility. So I phoned him and he said he could send one out that week. Sure enough it arrived on the West Coast the next week!

Well constructed, especially the one-piece base, which unlike other designs doesn't use U-bolts to attach the spreaders. Frankly, the base design is what sold me on the NA4RR over the KIO...that and the fact that the RR included all 6 bands for $570 Including shipping.

I painted the spreaders for UV-longevity. Mask the base spreader ends or paint them AFTER they are slipped into the base as the mating clearance there is so close they won't fit if the sleeved portions are painted. This should be mentioned in the instructions, but it isn't.

Assembly is straightforward and quick. Most of the parts are pre-assembled and everything goes together in an hour or so, unlike the MFJ version, which looked like torture on KE0OG's on-line video review. No tuning adjustments needed.

It's up about 30' and easily turned by a G450A. F/B gain is amazing. This antenna hears better than my R8 and even my dipoles when oriented in the same direction, and I consistently receive better signal reports on the hexbeam. It really does perform as well as a 2-element monoband beam on each of it's bands.

One thing folks should be aware of is that this antenna is bigger than they might expect from photographs. It is smaller than a full-sized 20m Yagi tribander, but it does have an 11 foot turn radius. It weighs only about 20-25lbs, but can be tricky to balance as it's going up. And it does need to be guyed...

I can now dispense with several of my other antennas: the AEA isoloop; Alpha Delta DX-EE; and MFJ 1775. I'll still need my Alpha-Delta DX-DD for 80m/40m and I plan to keep the R8, which has served me for about 20 years.

In SUMMARY: You will not be able to find a better performing relatively compact easily assembled and erected directional antenna for anything like the price of the NA4RR.

A minor gripe is that 6 and 10 meter bandwidth is relatively restricted, but this is easy to fix with an antenna matching network.

N9AJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2018 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the NA4RR hexbeam and BA-8 balun in February 2016. Created a very simple installation consisting of a Rohn pushup pole 9H50 with a Yaesu G-800DXA at the base of the pole. The beam is at a very modest 23 feet.

Per Bob’s recommendations, I painted the fiberglass spreaders before assembly. Assembly was a breeze. All components are excellent quality. Instructions are clear. SWRs on all bands was fine.

I broke a couple spreaders when lowering it before hurricane Irma hit in September 2017 but Bob sells replacement parts so I was able to do the repairs and reassembly without a hitch.

I’ve truly enjoyed it’s performance and completely recommend it.

In the spring of 2018 I added an ERC Mini computer interface to the Yeasu along with PstRotator software. These additions have upped my NA4RR hexbeam enjoyment to a whole new level.

K4ML Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2018 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Now, this is SERIOUS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third hexagonal beam antenna, and by far the best built and best performing hex I have ever used. The NA4RR hex is beautifully made, has SWR of less than 1.5:1 on all six bans (at my location) and was a breeze to assemble - in less than an hour. And, Holy DX Batman, it is some kinda quiet! Given its construction, this antenna will be in the air a long, long time. The only thing extra I did was to spray the fiberglass spreaders with flat black UV-resistant paint before assembly. Has the added advantage of making the antenna nearly disappear once up in the air. Even at this low ebb in the sunspot cycle, I get DX on the first or second call with my 100 watts.

Some context:
I was intrigued by Leo Shoemaker K4KIO's Hexagonal beam article in March 2009 QST. Following his instructions, I built the 5-band G3TXQ hexagonal beam, homebrew. Worked very nicely! Two years later, severe wind shear damaged it and I built an improved version using great parts from DX Engineering and MaxGain Systems. Nice improvement: sturdier and even better performance. In early 2018 I saw the NA4RR hex up close up and knew I had to have one. While it is truly plug-n-play, it was the quality of the components and construction that blew me away. Take it from a guy who's been around the block with hex beams, you won't be disappointed.
Ron, K4ML, North Carolina

K4DSP Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Constructed of high quality materials, the NA4RR hexagonal beam is an easy-to-assemble, lightweight, low wind load antenna. I have mine mounted at 60 feet, and find it to be an excellent performer at that height. Recommended.

KK4CRY Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2018 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Bought and assemble  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love the hexbeam. Love it some much i promoted it locally. And few (8 Local amateurs) purchased the same Hexbeam.

N4CQD Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2018 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many HF Antennas in my 20+ years as an Amateur Radio Operator. But without a doubt, the Hexbeam by NA4RR is the BEST rotatable HF Antenna Ive ever had. I punch through DX pileups without any trouble, and I use 100 watts.... NO AMPLIFIER!

KB3CUR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2018 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Exelllent support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased hexbeam br na4rr over a year ago. Great beam for the price. I give na4rr koodos for his excellent support of his product. We had very severe high winds in our area that broke part or the beam. I called na4rr about the problem. He told me to ship the part to him and he would repair it. Sent it to him and all I had to pay was shipping.
Thanks Bill for your excellent service and a great product. Will buy from you again if needed. Ron kb3cur