Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Joplin Amateur Radio Club Antenna Launcher Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Joplin Amateur Radio Club Antenna Launcher Kit
Joplin Amateur Radio Club  Antenna Launcher Kit Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $50 including freight in the USA
Description: Pneumatic Antenna Launcher Kit
More info: http://www.joplin-arc.org/

You can write your own review of the Joplin Amateur Radio Club Antenna Launcher Kit.

AK6QJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Simple & Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used this a number of times to hang dipoles in trees for Field Day. The kit was easy to assemble and simple to use. I didn't use the valve supplied in the kit - although usable it was a bit too stiff for my tastes. I ended up checking the valves at combined total of six local Home Depots/Lowes until I found one I liked. I bought the kit knowing this might be the case; I didn't expect the Joplin folks to hand select one for me. After all, how many Home Depots/Lowes can Joplin have, anyway?

I'm planning on buying another one next year so that the kids that come to Field Day can play "Launcher Horseshoes". Or maybe the adults will compete for a case of adult beverages. Have to do something when the bands go dead...

K1NFD Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2018 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Works well when rigidly mounted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put one end 60 feet up and the other 65. On the other hand, some comments.
First, for all the non-fisherman, looking at the reel handle it turns counter clock wise. Then if you are going to use over 15 pounds pressure, it really needs the launcher tube glued on.
While the instructions say not to aim straight up, I used a 65-70 degree angle at 35 PSI to get up a 65 foot branch. One really has to peak out at 75-80 feet to do that.
I also made a holder for the launcher which gets clamped to a ladder for use. Hand holding it is only good for a general direction.
Finally expect to loose a spinner or two in the process. You might want more than the two supplied.

K4EQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2018 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had wanted one of these for a long time, but never got around to ordering one. However, at last month's OzarkCon in Branson, the Joplin ARC had a table and was selling them. Of course, I brought one home with me. Assembly was easy and, following the instructions, I pressurized it after 24 hours to make sure there were no leaks. Success! The next day I took it outside to test it. More success. Launching the projectile 100' was a piece of cake. This is a great accessory to my station, and I'll be using it to put up a dipole in a few weeks after we move to our new QTH. Kudos to JARC for their great contribution to the hobby.

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2017 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Launcher!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this launcher about 10 times to launch wires over trees that are about 50ft tall. I fill the launcher with about 35psi and it easily launches the projectile over the tree with height to spare. It is very accurate and very easy to use, I purchased a reel from Walmart for about $18 that works just fine with it. The projectile is white in color so I painted them with orange marking paint to make them easier to find in the forest :)

It really is a great design that works, thank you JARC!

W6NF Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2017 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with this antenna launcher. It has been used eight times and has successfully, and easily, launched line over trees with heights up to 55 feet. It is a far better solution than my old slingshot!

I installed a G5RV antenna in a very heavy growth of pine/fir/balsam and was concerned that the PVC tube launched into the trees would not clear and return to the ground. Both lines launched came back to ground level without incident and the G5RV pulled into place easily.

I will say that, in spite of the advice of the JARC, I did pressurize the launcher tank to 35 pounds but it held that pressure nicely. Yes, the PVC valve is a bit difficult (stiff) to actuate cleanly but that was not a significant problem even with the first launch.

I was able to purchase one of the recommended Zebco fishing reels for under $7.00 and that reel works nicely.

Kudos to the JARC for a nice product at a reasonable price.

N7GCO Rating: 2/5 Jul 11, 2017 23:37 Send this review to a friend
So=so  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found it really did not have the punch needed to get the fishing line over my trees (65'). It needs a larger air holding area and a much better trigger.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2017 15:44 Send this review to a friend
It really works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing really flings the "rocket" over tall trees at 30 PSI. This ain't no toy, please load it outside.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2017 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Rocket launcher rocks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works. Yes, the valve is stiff but deal with it.

I painted my slugs orange, like the President's hair....HI HI

KK5R Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 00:34 Send this review to a friend
Great, easy to build Launcher  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I tried slingshots, fishing rods, bow and arrow and finally built the antenna launcher following the instructions in QST. It worked great. Then I sent for the Joplin Launcher and it is much easier to build since all the parts are there, no hunting through bins at the hardware store. The PVC was clean so I used the Oatey Medium Orange PVC cement generously and had no leaks. The valve was hard to turn and I remembered going through about 50 valves at the hardware store to find a smooth and easy to turn valve for the QST launcher so I boiled the Joplin valve for 30 minutes and it became very easy to turn, easier than the one I had already built.

The Joplin launcher is much more compact than the QST model. I got a reel from Walmart for about $6 and it works fine. I use a stainless steel hose clamp that goes through the slot in the reel's anchor plate so it does not slip on the launcher. I put the reel down close to the valve instead at the end so it's easier to grab and reel in the line. — One thing to remember is to release the real when launching by thumbing the brake button so the line is released in the reel — otherwise the potato can pop back and hit you when you open the valve...

The potato supplied with the kit is about six inches long before installing the end caps. I cut one of the tubes in half so the potato is shorter and less likely to hang up in a tree. I do not bother to use the colored ribbon supplied because the white PVC potato is easy to see. A club member here painted his potato a bright orange-red so it's easier for him to see but for me, white is good enough.

I use the fishing line to pull a nylon cord through the trees and it becomes the line I use to pull the Dacron® line that holds the antenna wire.

Using other methods, it took one to two hours to hang an antenna but with the Joplin launcher, it takes much shorter time. For me, about 10-15 minutes for each end. Rarely do I need to launch the potato more than once because the aim is pretty much dead on. I find using 40-lbs of air is quite sufficient to launch the potato over 100-ft in the air. I use one of the little 12V Harbor Freight auto compressors and it takes about one minute to pump up the launcher's tank. I got the good pump, though, not the one that costs about $10 because the cheap one doesn't last very long. A foot pump is better when the car is not handy to use the electric pump. The foot pump usually takes less than one minute to pump up the launcher.

NT6T Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent & very reasonable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried sling shots, bow and arrow, and this kit is by far the best. Just installed a windom antenna over a very high tree with no problems. Thank you Joplin ARC for a product well done.