Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters
 Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The Alpha Loop offers you a light 10-40 Meter transmit/receive magnetic loop antenna that is quick to deploy. An optional 40-80 Booster Cable makes the Alpha Loop into a two-turn loop, enabling TX/RX on 40-80 meters, which also improves efficiency on 40 meters over the standard 10-40 meter configuration. To use the 10-40 meter configuration, simply remove the booster cable and revert to a single turn loop.
More info: http://AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters.

WX4TV Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2019 12:20 Send this review to a friend
The Old One was Good and the New One is Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have owned the 10-40 meter Alpha Loop antenna for a few years and have experienced great results with it. Our daughter Hope (KM4IPF) broke through a pileup with a station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba while running 5 watts into the original Alpha Loop with an Elecraft KX3 radio.

Just prior to Hurricane Irma, we received the 40/80 meter add on for the original Alpha Loop and our daughter Grace (KM4TXT) used the antenna to check into the Hurricane Watch Net as the storm raged outside the house. The antenna was sitting on the kitchen counter. The results were quite good under those conditions.

Even though the antenna was a good performer, we were only able to use 25 watts PEP with the antenna and we wished that there were a way to run 100 watts. Fast forward to Hamcation 2019...

We picked up the new 100 watt Alpha Loop antenna at Hamcation and ran it through its paces this weekend in the ARRL International DX Contest. Conditions were not great and there was a LOT of QRM. As Hope and Grace started trying to work some stations in the contest, I questioned whether or not the antenna would perform well enough to use in the contest. Grace started making contact after contact and my skepticism was quickly erased.

This antenna PERFORMS! I wouldn't have expected that a mere increase from 25 watts to 100 watts would have given us the increase in performance that we experienced, but it did. The girls made contact after contactĖbreaking through pileups and squeezing through the heavy QRM. We shot a couple of videos of them using the antenna in the contest and put them on our Ham Radio (Dot) World YouTube channel.

The videos show how quiet the antenna is on receive as well.

If you are looking for a ultra-portable performer that doesn't compromise your ability to run 100 watts, consider the 100 watt Alpha Loop Antenna. We will be using this one extensively in our field operations.

KX7N Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2018 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Apartment Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna with the 40M/80M booster cable at SEAPAC. I rushed home and put it together (10 minutes maximum) and once I spent a few minutes troubleshooting a bad coax cable with the help of the Alpha Antenna crew, and replaced the offending cable, I was tuning all the bands in just to verify, and sure enough 1:1 all over the place.
The customer service is awesome. One of the guys even volunteered his time to come to my QTH and help me troubleshoot it as it was on his way home from SEAPAC.

KG2DWS Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2018 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Alpha Mag Loop Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Alpha Mag Loop for about q and 1/2 years. I have used it both inside a first floor bedroom and have used it out in the field. It has been used for both SSB and Digital communication on all bands (80 - 10 meters). It does talk a little time and care to get it tuned correctly. It is easy to setup and very portable.

LB0NH Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2018 23:32 Send this review to a friend
not for beginners  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
although many give this antenna favorable review, I have not been able to get any qso's with it. It is extremely difficult and cumbersome to tune. You need a antenna analyzer to tune efficiently, each time you make a small frequency change you must disconnect the radio and use the analyzer again and reconnect the radio. Magloop antennas are also very expensive. In addition I have buddistick and aerial-51 dipole.wtih those two I have qso' at +2000 km within few minutes at 5watts with my ft-817.

KN4IDS Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2018 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fabulous antenna. I wanted something that didn't need a lot of outdoor major installation and could be used as inside antenna. Only problem is that my balcony has a large over-hang which will bounce he signal back and disrupt the SWR. Moved away from the overhang and from South Florida you can contact New England to South America. Most important, the customer service is SPECTACULAR!

KJ6MSG Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Love it! My go-to travel antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this antenna! I have a couple portable antennas: Buddipole, Buddistick, MFJ-1899T, and now the Alpha Loop. This product is well worth the money. The quality of engineering is outstanding and it couldn't be easier to setup and use VERY quickly. It has quickly become my travel antenna. I throw my FT-817ND, MFJ-259C, and SignaLink USB in the bag and take them with with me when I travel for business. I've had success working it indoor in hotel rooms and great success working at parks. Tuning is simple and I've had no problem achieving a VSWR of 1.5 or better on 10-80m. In fact, one thing I love about it is how rapid you can tune to another band. Over a period of a couple minutes I was receiving FT-8 on three different bands and also receiving WEFAX on the NOAA HF freqs. If you need a portable, small form factor, easy to use antenna... definitely take a look at the Alpha Loop!

W1CEW Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Love it, super convenient and effective for portable use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the best things about this antenna is that it's super easy to set up if you want to go out to the park and set up portable. Having said that, I use it for my regular station use because of the limitations of our rental arrangement.

Normally I keep it outside on our back porch, but have also found it very effective for indoor use, working FT8 contacts even on 80 meters!

One thing to note with mag loop antennas and this one is no exception -- tuning is critical for effectiveness and the very high Q tuning sometimes takes some patience to get right. That means in practice you'll tend to park on one band for a while unless you like to spend lots of time tuning.

I should also add that Alpha support is TERRIFIC, communication is superb and they are more than happy to answer random questions after the sale. A++

Chuck
W1CEW

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 11:20 Send this review to a friend
works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it used at a very good price a few months ago. Bought the 80/40m extension directly from the manufacturer.
It works very well even inside the house.
The negatives would be the stability of the top loop and the tuning
knob on the top of the box forcing your hand inside the loop. It
should have been on the bottom to avoid tuning impact.
Overall I am very happy with it.

K2RMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2017 14:03 Send this review to a friend
QRP Loop Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was the lucky winner of a donated 10-40 Meter Alpha QRP Loop with Field Bag antenna at the QRP ARCI Four-Days-In-May 2017 Convention.

I have been using the antenna, set up in my shack/office on a tripod these past few weeks. I have been very happy with the performance it is giving me from my Jacksonville FL QTH. So far, Iíve mainly been QSOing on 20 meters. With WSPR, yesterday I was heard in Wales, Southhampton England, Belgium, Germany and Austria using approximately 2 watts. With JT65, running 10 watts, Iíve worked all around the country as well as Slovenia, Guatemala and Brazil.

I am using an ICOM IC-756 Pro3 with a Signalink USB interface to my Windows computer. I am running WSPR-X and FLDIGI. I plan on soon trying the antenna on RTTY, PSK31 and CW.

Attached are some photos of my setup. I found the knob very coarse to use to adjust on the Alpha Match Box, and have modified it with a Philmore Precision Tuning Vernier knob. This has made tuning a lot easier. I recorded the settings on a card I attach to the antenna so that I do not constantly have to connect my antenna analyzer when switching frequencies.

We are planning to use the Loop antenna on Field Day, probably with a Midnight Design Solutions SDR Cube Transceiver that my friends bought also at the QRP FDIM Convention. Mainly for demo purposes at Field Day, I added a small fluorescent tube with lights up during the transmit cycle (seems to need 10 watts to light).

WB9OTX Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2017 12:47 Send this review to a friend
A fun antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried all sorts of antennas in my 45 plus years, Some good some not so good. I had never tried a loop until now. No its not a 4 element yagi but it is a really great portable or just for fun antenna. Set it up on the picnic table in the back yard. You will be amaysed that such a little footprint antenna can work so well. I have a lot full of yagis and verticals but I find myself just having fun on a Sunday afternoon setting with the QRP rig and the Alpha loop on the picnic table. I get a real kick running JT-65 receiving a better report than I gave out. I broke a small piece on the antenna when a gust of wind toppled it over. I emailed Steve on a Sunday and in minutes a reply came telling me the broken part would be replaced. Now that is service. Have some fun, try an Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna ..... WB9OTX