Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | AVVid Help

AVVid
322 VZ County Rd 2714
Mabank, TX 75147

Phone: 214-850-0973

The phone is a cell phone and cantankerous. If no answer leave a message and I'll return the call.

Working on Kenwood equipment only. No warranty work.

Best contact is via e-mail, I check it several times a day.

---------------------------

NOTE:

2 Feb 2019

After 38 years of repairing amateur radio equipment and being over 70 years old the fire has about gone out. My wife and I have decided to take an extended sabbatical and see some of this great country of ours.

To this end we will not accept repairs after February 15, 2019. All radios received before that date will be repaired and returned to the owners. The 30 day warranty will remain in effect.

We have both enjoyed what we have been doing and have the best customers in the world. I will continue to provide help via the internet and limited phone help during our extended sabbatical.

This fall we will re-evaluate and determine the next step. I appreciate your understanding.

Clif Holland KA5IPF

More info: http://www.avvid.com/

You can write your own review of the AVVid.

N2XPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2019 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just received my Kenwood TS-50 back from Clif. I am ecstatic that the radio is working so well. I haven't played with the AT50 yet as I am using my LDG tuner. All and all, I am very happy that I sent the devices to AVVID, repair completed at a VERY reasonable cost....Thank you...Happy Retirement to you and your bride....

KM5TW Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2019 23:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service!  Time owned: months
I have an old TS-930-SAT that would not transmit. I made an appointment with Clif and drove 3 hours down there, watched him repair it, and then three hours back. Well worth the 8 hour investment! That 930 is now my primary rig. I've always enjoyed watching someone that is an expert in their field and Clif is that. He replaced the output driver transistor pair and did an alignment. Trouble shot a microphone problem I had and put me back on the road. Thanks Clif!

KG9BW Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2018 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent experience !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had purchased a used Kenwood ts 440 sat from a friend of mine and I thought I had a feedback problem when transmitting.After contacting cliff via email, he. Offered a few good possible fixes. (Responded super fast to my suprise)
Although the radio didn't have any feedback problem, ( was my fault as i did not have a reliable signal report at the time) i decided to send it to Cliff and make sure everything was working OK and have it aligned as it had been sitting dormant for several years. He gave me an approximate wait time once he received the radio that was spot on! (About three weeks)...very well worth the wait! He had tuned and aligned as needed ,tested everything,including the internal antenna tuner, replaced the memory battery (leaking and the original), cleaned the mic. Potentiometer all for a very reasonable fee.
Radio is tip, top now and working great.Very much worth the wait time.
Hats off to Avvid and Cliff !!
From Chris. KG9BW

N4ATS Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2018 14:34 Send this review to a friend
TS-850SAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Clif is well....Simply put...the best Kenwood repair base in the US. He is one of a few left that can fix almost anything radio related. Sent him a TS-850SAT with a wacco TX issue. He fixed it. Thanks Clif

K5JGS Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2018 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Service you don't often find  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a problem with my Kenwood ts-480hx. The S meter had not been working for a while and then the audio output just stopped. I thought something had blown. I contacted Clif to send the unit in for repair. He responded back with a few things to try before I sent it in. IT WORKED. He saved me time and money, but refused any payment for his help! You don't often find that kind of service from a business these days. Cliff has proven he knows his stuff, and he will treat you ethically and fairly.

WC0L Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2018 01:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Experience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently sent a very good but non-working TS-440SAT to Clif for repair. Clif found the problem in short order and repaired and aligned the rig to like-new condition. The charge was very reasonable. If you need Kenwood repair, there is simply nobody like Clif. Highly recommended. And Clif, thanks for doing such a great job for me.
Mike, WC0L

WB9BHH Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2018 01:18 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading all the reviews I decided to bring my TS-870 to AVVID to have it repaired. I emailed Cliff and he responded the same day with some helpful ideas, but couldn't resolve the problem so I decided to bring it to him. Rather than ship it I drive 5 hours and met with him in person. He had it repaired in about 45 minutes. The guy is fantastic! I highly recommend him for any Kenwood service. Can't thank him enough!

KO4NF Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2018 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Kenwood Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my TS-690 Kenwood to Cliff for a check up. The radio had been stored about 9 years and the AF was low. He replaced a capacitor and memory battery and checked the alignment. The radio is like new. Excellent communication and fair rate. I would highly refer anyone to use his service. Turnover was about 4 weeks.

W0MN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2018 12:58 Send this review to a friend
TS870S fixed as stated  Time owned: more than 12 months
I exchanged emails about symptoms and I guess I described it well and he made a very good guess about the problem and the likelihood that it could be repaired. He also gave a realistic estimate of backlog. It turned out to be nearly exact.

I had intermittent output after about 30 seconds. He fixed it with only about 1.75 hours bench time. His $50/HR bench rate is about half of others and I think he is a better technician. He also communicates with customers in a VERY timely manner.

I got a new TS590SG and I think the only gain is more functions, but I think the TS870 would hear about anything the TS590SG can hear and it has 150 W rather than 100 for output. I really like the added features of the 590 and the chance to try 6M so now my problem is what to do with the 570. I really do not need 2 radios but of course a backi-up is nice. I do need new antennas so maybe trade or sale of the 870 is the answer.

If I were to make any complaint about AAvid it would be that I fail to understand the refusal to accept any type of electronic payments like Pay Pal. I think many would be happy to pay the fees for faster turnaround. On the other hand, it is going to be a 4-6 week wait anyway so the extra 3-7 days for payments does not really add that much.

STAY IN Business BECAUSE MANY KENWOOOD REPAIRS ARE NOT DONE THAT WELL OR THAT CHEAPLY.

W4AMP Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2017 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Best Kenwood man!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great tech, waited on me to get an obsolete part online so he could do the repair. He actually cares about his customers and does quality work in a timely matter. Best Kenwood man period and at a realistic price.