Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4230MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4230MV
MFJ-4230MV Reviews: 28 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 30 amp switching power supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4230MV .

K1WCC Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2019 10:42 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a wide spectrum of reviews for this supply! I bought mine exactly a year ago and have used it intermittently since then, with no problems. It's quiet, the fan comes on for a couple of seconds when you turn it on, and it's stable. I use it now on a daily basis with my Yaesu FT-2980 (80 watts FM) and it's rock solid. I have a couple of Samlex 1223's, these are excellent supplies but a bigger footprint than the 4230. This unit is compact and fits in an Apache case perfectly with the 2980. External construction is well done. Who knows what evil may lurk inside, but so far, it's been great.

WB2SNJ Rating: 0/5 Jun 19, 2019 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Not A Good Buy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I really did expect to get more than 6 months out of this power supply. I purchased it late November, 2018. It went into service the beginning of that December on an Icom IC-7000. February, 2019, it became the power supply for a new IC-7300. All good so far. Early May, 2019, I began to have power loss on transmitting. The radio would cycle quickly on and off. The only way to stop it was to turn off the power supply because the radio power button would not function. After letting the setup sit for a few minutes and re-powering the rig, all would be fine for some period of time. Ham friends suggested RF problems or the radio was malfunctioning. However, I decided to try the radio on battery power and all was fine. I then went to a back-up foreign made power supply and it too was no problem. The MFJ 4230MV had gone bad in 6 months. I am lucky I did not damage a new radio as others have mentioned.
On a call to MFJ I got the standard, ďsend it to us and we will check out.Ē Well, that means paying shipping both ways and more money spent. I have decided to write this purchase off as a bad buy and advise others not to take a chance on it as I did. I bought a new power supply from another company.

N4CAG Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2018 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Great for international travel  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently used this PS to power my Icom 7300 while operating PY4/ in Brazil. It has worked great for me. The form factor and weight is great for international travel, switching it to 230 is very easy, and using a USA -> EU style plug converter made it super easy.

WG4R Rating: 0/5 Dec 5, 2018 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Use With Caution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought two of these power supplies at the Charlotte Hamfest about a year ago. I have had a 50% failure rate. When one of the two units was powered up it took out everything connected to it, well below the 35 Amp limit. In checking the fuse, which is hard to get to, it had also blown. I replaced the fuse, ($5 at Mouser), plugged it in with NO load, and it blew the fuse and tripped my UPS with such a malfunction that the UPS had to be manually reset. The lights on the 4230MV never did light. It shorted out that fast. I have replaced all of my MFJ 12V power supplies with others that I can trust and have had no such problem. Be very careful in using this supply. Personally, I would never leave a 4230MV running unattended or power your expensive equipment with a 4230MV.

KI5AXE Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2018 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Just need information   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím just getting ready to use this supply but now that Iíve read some reviews Iím mortified. How do I tell where mine was made and what are the implications by knowing that. Anyone that can help I would be grateful because I have a brand new ic-7300 that Iíve yet to turn on and Iím not sure I do after reading some of these.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2018 15:04 Send this review to a friend
what a deal !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am currently in the process of reducing the size of the entire station for portable use.
I made some research and found this power supply that seems to have the best current-size ratio on the market. I had an Alinco DM-330mv before and it was an excellent switcher but a little to large and no detachable power cord.
I actually got the MFJ-4230mvp version that has the powerpoles in the back and posts on the front panel. I was VERY anxious to test it on the HF bands to see if it would induce noise or birdies. Well, it is as clean as my beloved Alinco if not better on 160 and 80m. I am quite happy with it.This is the first MFJ product ever that I am satisfied with. Why ? Because it's not a MFJ product... It's just a rebranded model sold under several brand including Powerwerx, QJE and Alinco.
At 94$ including a bag of powerpoles...you cannot go wrong with this one.

W6SJP Rating: 0/5 Nov 6, 2017 13:23 Send this review to a friend
It Fried my new IC-7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this as an included 'bonus' for my purchase of a new IC-7300.

I hooked up everything and the 7300 operated fine for about 45 minutes, then the MFJ-4230MV failed, going up in smoke and so did the 7300. Though I couldn't open up either unit to diagnose the problem because of warranty restrictions, it appears that when the MFJ-4230MV failed, it delivered pure AC directly to the DC rail.

Fortunately, the dealer, Main Trading Co in Paris, Texas, shipped me a new IC-7300, though it cost me $90 to ship the damaged gear back to them.

Out of the five items I have bought over the years from MFJ, three of them have failed, after which I have had to repair them myself.

I guess it is just cheaper to let equipment fail in the field than to employ any QC staff. That's the only reason I can come up with for MFJ's non-existent Quality Control.

This thing sells for upwards of $80--I have two $25 SMPS I ordered directly from China years ago and they still work flawlessly--they just don't have the on-board meter and fancy case. Go figure.

WA2FZB Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2017 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Small size, small price, big performance.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this little power supply for my portable/Field Day station in my camper. It is tiny, inexpensive, and has delivered impressive performance so far. I use it to power a 25 year old Kenwood TS-850, which can be quite a power hog, pulling peaks near 25 amps at full output. This little power supply delivers the current without a problem, and stays cool doing it.

Also, the old 850 has a tendency to pull a big surge on power up, which has been a problem for some other power supplies I have used in the past. No such problems with this one, and I have not heard any switching noise or birdies either. My primary station power supply is an Alinco DM-330MV, and this little MFJ supply seems to be just as quiet, at about half the price.

For great value and performance, I give this one 5 out of 5, and have no regrets whatsoever.

Tony WA2FZB

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2017 08:38 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PRODUCT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd review. I now own 2 of these, & they run 24/7. Never a problem, & always cool to the touch. They are made by Nissei Electric in China, & sold under the MFJ, Jetstream, & QJE names. To be fair, I only use them on my UHF, & VHF mobile radios in the house. For HF I still use a 25 pound Astron, so I have no idea if my units generate birdies on HF. I have never had ANY problems with mine, & it's rare to see a quality MFJ product, but then again, they did not build this product. They just work, & I couldn't be happier.

HB9RYZ Rating: 1/5 May 25, 2017 01:44 Send this review to a friend
Destroies your devices  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi All - please be aware of using the MFJ-4230MV.
I installed all my devices such as KX2 Transceiver, a JUMA PA100-D 100W Amplfier and the LDG Z-11 Pro 2 ATU to the 13.8V MFJ Power Supply.

I switched the power supply to ON and suddenly the JUMA PA100-D Amplifier was destroyed!!!! A huge black cloud appears on the corner of the 13.8V connector.

So the root cause is: If you switch on the power supply, it would start a certain initial test and let full voltage and current through the 13.8V outage and will/could destroy your attached devices!!!!

In this case I advise you to not use this power supply, due to false behavior which I really not understand. Everytime I switch on your power supply I have to disconnect first all my devices from the power supply. This is not a common usage.

I've just got the following answer from MFJ:
"contact your foreign dealer regarding the return. hopefully you made the switch to 220 power"

My answer on that was:
And just let you know, as we are ham radio operators, we have the neeeded knowledge regarding electronics and electric! Just keep us not as dummies!!!

You should know your products better in order to help the customer to use them. But as you let build your products in China you are not able to do the right quality checks.

It's now my last buy of a MFJ product. As I had a same bad expierence with your ATU MFJ-998RT!

I will post the function of your power supply in eHams to warn the other hams to buy shuch a crap.

Wolfgang