Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Nye Viking Speed-X Keys Help

Reviews Summary for Nye Viking Speed-X Keys
Nye Viking Speed-X Keys Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $40 (Approx.)
Description: First made by Les Logan, then by E.F. Johnson, and now by Wm M. Nye Company, the zinc bases of the Speed-X keys have been cast in the the same molds since the 1930's

You can write your own review of the Nye Viking Speed-X Keys.

W9SA Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2017 07:23 Send this review to a friend
A great old key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently acquired a new radio and needed to hook up a key. I thought no problem because I have a small collection of straight keys and bugs. I tried several but settled on my rectangular Speed-X. The surprising thing is, this is the key given to me when I became a novice back in 1969! I worked a lot of stations with this key, a few crystals, and an HW-16. It's comfortable and the whole nostalgia thing is ok too.

K9FH Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Best straight key in my collection  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is for the Classic Rectangular Speed-X Keys with Navy type knob. I had thought most straight keys were the same - until I used this key. Maybe it's the heavy brass armature or the navy type knob but this key has a solid feel like no other key I've used.

WF8O Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding CR!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a used Nye-Viking Speed-X straight key from an EBay auction. The oval base brass key was sporting anj 8-32 hex nut on one of the wire posts. I contact the MFG to request to buy a replacement knurled nut. A couple days later, Bill Nye personally called me to say he could only send a nickle plated one. I thanked him and took his advice that I go to the hardware store where I found an exact replacement! That'ssuper Customer Relations! He owed me nothing! I bought a used key off ebay! Great company!

KA0HVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Nicer than I realized.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my Nye Viking Heavy Duty Speed-X (114-320-001) new on 02/01/1980 for $10.95. I still have the box, receipt, and papers. This is a lovely key. Very adjustable with a crisp action. Replacement spring is available if needed. I'm adding the KB2 key base plate as soon as it arrives. This key is still being manufacture!

AI9K Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 23:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Straight key   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Smooth operation, classic appearance, a crisp, clean feel like no other hand key I've used although I never tried one of those $400-500 keys.

My search is really over as I can't possibly see any other key beating this one!

A CW op since 1969 gives the Speed-X a 5...

AI9K Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Straight key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Smooth operation, classic appearance, crisp clean feel like no other hand key I've used. I never tried one of those $400 keys though.

My search is really as I can't possibly see any other key beating this one!

The Speed-X rates a 5...

KB2HSH Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2013 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Solid classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have the Speed-X that my mother purchased for me when I was in my late teens. It's a solidly built key and it has a great feel to it, and I have used it for nearly 20 years. However, it doesn't get a 5 ONLY because it is a basic key. There are many straight keys out there that are "prettier" or more solid in feel. For $40 in 1991, it's a tough act to follow.

K9KHJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2012 16:47 Send this review to a friend
My cold dead hands  Time owned: more than 12 months
Stumbled onto this at a hamfest, didn't think much of it but have fallen in love with the crisp feel and classic design. I will never, ever use another straight key.

N3US Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2012 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Manual Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased my Nye Viking Speed-X with rectangular base a few weeks ago. I have been a ham since 1963 and my original Novice key was not this well built with such smooth action! I mainly use the Key for tuning up the Amp but I have made several QSOs with the Speed-X and it was so much fun to use. The Key is attractive to look at and does not move around.

KC8OYE Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2011 22:55 Send this review to a friend
nice key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my Speed-X used from a local ham dealer for $5.. it didn't look very pretty, the plating was pretty much gone and it was rusting..
I took it apart, and hand polished the steel to a chome-like finish and it looks awesome again. This is my first key so I have nothing to compare it to.